It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Whats next for the lakers

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
So what is next for the lakers? After lossing in the finals to the pistons in 5 games, and it owuld have been 4 games if kobe didnt save them from a disaster.

Shaq played an incredible series like usuall, but he alone cant control the whole team, its not a 1 man show its a team show and that is what the pistons did.

The lakers could be all broken up at the end of the season their coach stated "there is a slim chance that i will be back next year." Kobe can opt to test the free agent market and will most likely do so. karl malone's career is most likely over without the ring, and gary payton could try the makert as well.

Where do the lakers go from here, it could be years again before we see them in teh finals.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I'm not worried too much, especially after having to sit through the 90s with the Lakers not quite being as successful as they should've been....

This team has been commited to getting to the Finals, and if you look at history its at least appeared every few years in one.

All I know is that with Shaq as the building block of this team, and hopefully Kobe coming back (no clue) this team is just some young, energetic talent away from at least being competitive again.

Oh and I hope Gary Payton ops out of his contract, especially with people like Steve Nash being free agents this off season...LA needs a shooter, and Payton simply did not fit in that role.

[Edited on 04/10/03 by Cannon]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Personally, I hope that they tradeluck with the other LA team...no harm meant, Cannon

Ben

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
They have many paths, first instead of looking for a new PG, because they do have fisher and rush off the bench as it is now. They need a PF.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
They need to trade some of their stars and get a good all around team

Ben

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
like whom? they need a pf and a center they have a center in shaq and a pf, they need to give help to shaq belive it or not.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is going to be a fun offseason to see.

I think Malone could be back. He brought the Lakers defense, energy and toughness at the 4 spot and he didn't get his title this year. But it'll probably depend on what this team looks like on the whole after the Summer.

I think Payton's gone for sure. He never fit into the triangle and his skills have declined really surprisingly rather quickly.

I think Shaq's definitely back. Heard some talk that he could traded if the Lakers re-sign Kobe and they really want to blow it up. I don't see it though because while Shaq's past his prime, he's still probably the most dominant force in the league.

Now Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant. I really think only one of these guy's stays. Whoever stays the other one leaves I think. Lots of interesting dynamics here. Lakers' Owner Jerry Buss likes Bryant better. Jeanne Buss, his daughter is dating Phil Jackson. Jackson's always liked Shaq better than Kobe too.

Now, if I'm a Lakers' fan or part of the Lakers' organization this is where I think you really miss Jerry West. He has a knack of recognizing and infusing young talent right away. No matter what moves are made I would trust Jerry West. Mitch Kupchak, I'm not so sure.

Ben

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
who would you like ot see back kobe or jackson?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Do you hear that? Sounds like a hammer and saw. Must be re-building time!

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben:

who would you like ot see back kobe or jackson?

That's a tough one and I have no idea, heh. I think you keep Shaq, keep Jackson, and Kobe leaves. If you get a nice secondary scorer (Hey did Tracy McGrady say once earlier this year he'd like to play for the Lakers?), I think you're still title contenders.

However, LA (I'm talking about the fan base down there) loves Kobe I think more than any other Laker. And if you keep Kobe and lose Phil, you'll be good for a lot of years to come because Kobe's still young and has proven he'll add to his game relentlessly to get better. Whereas if you lose Kobe, Shaq's getting up there in age and once he's gone your kind of screwed. The problem here is if you lose Jackson, who the heck are you going to get to coach this team?

Ben

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
But isnt jackson the master mind?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
But isnt jackson the master mind?

Yeah, but he was hinting at retirement anyway, so everybody could save face on that count.

But what if Kobe is in jail?

[Edited on 6/18/2004 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!:

But what if Kobve is in jail?

Last I heard that's still pretty much a "he said, she said" case so I doubt he goes to jail.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Yeah, but he was hinting at retirement anyway, so everybody could save face on that count.

But what if Kobve is in jail?

If he's going to jail he will get bailed out. I don't think Jackson will retire either. Win it all with the LAkers, then retire

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
If Phil goes, I want to see Michael Cooper quit coaching the Sparks and take over the Lakers

It'l probably be assistant Jim Cleamons though....hes a good choice as well.

Ben

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
is it possible that everybody could leave LA?

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon
If Phil goes, I want to see Michael Cooper quit coaching the Sparks and take over the Lakers

It'l probably be assistant Jim Cleamons though....hes a good choice as well.

Hey Cannon, I just read this on other board. What do you think about Rudy Tomjanovich as the next Lakers' Head Coach if Phil leaves?

I think that could be a good pick. He's not a college coach "NBA know nothing" and he had rings so that might earn him initial respect from Kobe and Shaq.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
That's an interesting choice...he coached the Rockets for a while didn't he? From what I remember, he pretty much let the guards (Cuttino Mobley and Steve Francis) have free reign over the offense...

Being that he seems like the type of coach that caters to individual talent, he may be a good coach for Kobe....for the team I don't know.

I personally want to see a coach that would implement a fast break style....imagine, a team in the west that actually runs! (other than Denver)

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon:

I personally want to see a coach that would implement a fast break style....imagine, a team in the west that actually runs! (other than Denver)

Well we used to run but now our offense actually works better (before Webber came back) when Divac/Miller are running it in the halfcourt from the high post.

And Dallas runs. They just don't D at all.

[Edited on 06/18/2004 by Fox Mulder]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Rudy T also has a couple of rings on his fingers

top topics

join