It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Olympic qualifying tournament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 02:54 AM
link   
"USA wins opener against Brazil"

ESPN

Tim Duncan shot 8-for-10 from the field, Elton Brand scored 17 points and the United States dominated the second half to beat Brazil 110-76 on Wednesday night in its opener at the FIBA-Americas Olympic qualifying tournament.

There were some nervous moments for the Americans in the first half as they were sloppy with the ball, failed to defend the 3-point line and fell behind by as many as 10 points. But the U.S. team closed the half with an 11-5 run, then outscored Brazil 29-8 in the third quarter to turn it into a blowout.

Duncan finished with 17 points, Vince Carter had 14, Ray Allen 13, Tracy McGrady 15 , Mike Bibby 11 and Allen Iverson 10

msn.espn.go.com...

I dont see anyone stopping this USA team. Not only are they bigger, stronger, and faster but they have to have a revenge factor going after last summer's embarrasing showing.

What do you think?

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I think that the days of America's dominance of Olympic, or any world-type basketball competition are numbered. I recently saw a clip on Gumble's HBO show about the European farm systems. It was purely scary. The Russian system of old NEVER had anything on these guys. Day after day of hours of basics and play. Hell, the Europeans said that nowadays, if an American player doesn't go in the NBA draft, then no one over there will want them either. They said the American kids don't have the discipline or fundamental skills to make it over there.

Killdick of the Bluegrass

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by killdickvital
They said the American kids don't have the discipline or fundamental skills to make it over there.

That doesn't surprise me much, while alot of these kids should be practicing fundamentals they're too busy practicing and inventing new dunks and fancy moves. If you notice in the NBA, a good amount of the remaining pure shooters are from other countries, I dont think kids practice their shooting as much anymore. Man, I miss watching Larry Bird.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Over there it was drill, after drill, after drill on footwork, passing, and ball handling. these kids work on their own for HOURS on shooting skills. These kids are recruited VERY young, and live, eat, and go to school together (not much school) year round. They play ball year round too. It looked like an assembly line, and kind of freakish. In this country, we love to hang the term, "World" championship on all of our professional penultimate games. We might just have to rethink that shyt, soon.

Killdick of the Bluegrass

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 12:49 PM
link   
if we lose this year its pathetic.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osobad28
if we lose this year its pathetic.

I cant see that happening, this team is unstoppable. Larry Brown wont let that happen, like I said there has to be a major revenge factor involved here as well.

Ben

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It would be patheic but they shouldnt lose they have someof the best players in the world and there is no reason they should lose. Plus like PA said Larry brown wont let this happen.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Associated Press

Steve Nash led the way as Canada outplayed and outscored the United States in the first quarter, but Nash stayed on the bench for the rest of the game Monday night in what eventually became a 111-71 victory for the Americans.

The U.S. team, playing without leading scorer Tracy McGrady (sprained back), outscored Canada 30-11 in the second quarter to take control for good. Allen Iverson made seven 3-pointers in the third quarter and finished with 28 points -- the most by any American in this tournament.

Next up for the Americans is a game at 5 p.m. ET Tuesday against Argentina, the nation that last summer became the first team to defeat a U.S. team comprised of professional players.

Some have nicknamed this year's American squad the "Redeem Team", and this will be their first chance to avenge one of the losses from last summer's World Championships when they finished a disappointing sixth.

espn.go.com...

Iverson had a huge quarter with the 7 three's, I'm really glad he made the team, he deserves to be there. The "Redeem Team" shouldn't have too much trouble with Argentina although Argentina has a very good team. Tim Duncan is playing like his usual huge self.

GO USA!!

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 12:04 AM
link   

AI says "excuse me"

USA beats Argentina!

Thanks to Jermaine O'Neal, the U.S. men's team avoided another shocking upset against Argentina. O'Neal had 22 points and a key late block, helping the United States hand Argentina a 94-86 loss in the second round of the Tournament of the Americas on Monday. The South American nation beat the U.S. in their previous meeting at last year's World Championships.

Tracy McGrady is still day-to-day with a sprained back, he didnt even accompany the team to the stadium tonight. McGrady is a key player for the "Redeem Team".

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I was also glad to see Mike Bibby was solid down the stretch against Argentina.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   

ESPN

Strange things happen at international basketball tournaments, and there were plenty of them -- including Mexico being within five points of the U.S. team in the second half -- on a wacky Wednesday at the Tournament of the Americas.

Mexico, which lost by 74 points to a team of U.S. professionals at the 2001 Goodwill Games, trailed just 52-47 early in the third quarter as the Americans had their sloppiest game of the Olympic qualifying tournament but won 96-69.

The most shocking thing about the Mexico-U.S. game was that it didn't become a blowout until the fourth quarter. Mexico led 26-19 after one quarter, surrendered a 13-0 run in the second quarter and never truly had a chance to win in the second half.

The top two highlights of the Mexico-U.S. game came in the second quarter, with Vince Carter responsible for both.

First, Carter soared high in the air under the basket and blocked a shot by plucking it out of the air. Carter reacted as though he expected goaltending to be called, but the referees let play continue.

Carter then threw down a vicious, two-handed tomahawk dunk off a pass from Kidd to complete the 13-0 run that gave the Americans a 45-33 lead.

Tim Duncan led the U.S. team with 16 points.

msn.espn.go.com...

Vince Carter has been playing really well, he has been starting in place of the injured Tracy McGrady who has a sprained back. I wish these games were televised.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

I wish these games were televised.

They are.

On pay-per-view.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Mulder

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

I wish these games were televised.

They are.

On pay-per-view.

that smilie sums it up perfectly mulder

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I wouldn't pay to watch them.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 02:33 AM
link   
As much as I love basketball, I can't believe there's a lot of people that would actually buy that pay-per-view package. I sure didn't.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Mulder
As much as I love basketball, I can't believe there's a lot of people that would actually buy that pay-per-view package. I sure didn't.

I would love to have been able to watch them, but certainly wouldn't pay for it. Did they make any money on that?

I was sad to see Iverson is going to miss the last 2 games, not that it matters much. At least McGrady is back.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
You know though if there was one game I would pay for out of this whole Tournament it would be tonight.

Argentina vs. U.S.A. for the title.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   
hooray the US won.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Yup, now the U.S. team can say, they're kings of the Western Hemisphere, hehe.

new topics

top topics

join