It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Should Reggie Bush Wear #5?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Reggie Bush has petitioned the NFL in an effort to keep his #5 jersey number. In the NFL, certain numbers are reserved for certain types of players:

1-9 Placekickers and punters
1-19 Quarterbacks
20-49 Running backs and defensive backs
50-59 Centers
50-59, 90-99 Linebackers
60-79 Guards and tackles
60-79, 90-99 Defensive Linemen
80-89, 10-19 Wide Receivers

Many other players have gone into the NFL having worn a different number in college. All of them have had to change that number. Doug Flutie could not wear #22, Eric Dickerson could not wear #19, Michael Irvin could not wear #47--the list goes on. Why should it be any different with Bush.

The truth is that many players have had to change numbers in every sport due to retired numbers as well as active players already wearing that number. Alex Rodriguez had to change his number to #13 because #3 had been retired (Babe Ruth). Julius Erving had to change from #32 to #6 when he went to Philadelphia because 32 had been Billy Cunningham's number. Even the great Joe Montana had to change his number when he went to Kansas City because 16 had been retired in honor of Len Dawson. And if I remember correctly, he had to change his college number (3) as well--although I'm not sure who had that number.

Bush should not get any special treatment if those guys didn't.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
There are several receivers that wear numbers in the teens, the first that I know of was Keyshawn, who wore 17 because his rookie season the Jets were out of receiver numbers when he reported to camp. I have seen others, though, but dont' know why they get to break the rules.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The numbers 10-19 are legal for NFL receivers now. Two years ago they made the rule that all receivers could wear numbers in that range due to a decreasing amount of available numbers (total on roster plus retired numbers).

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I hope he keeps it. If he's not number 5 it just won't be the same.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Now that's obviously not true. Most of us remember his college career: three years. There are a few out west who remember his high school days, but mos remember him at USC. If he has a productive NFL career, he will be remembered for that number--whatever it may be. Do people remember Joe Montana for his #3 at Notre Dame? No, of course not; they remember him for #16 with the Niners.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well that is how I will remember Bush. I barely pay attention to NFL. I believe some people may remember Montana as #3. I think its possible for different people to remember players for different things. Not everyone is going to remember Bush as the Heisman winning USC player either but I bet I will because I love college football. I barely even watch pro.

Ben

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Rules are made for people to obey by them. Not break them. This has been a long standing traidtion in the nfl, why is one person more special than the other.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
Rules are made for people to obey by them. Not break them. This has been a long standing traidtion in the nfl, why is one person more special than the other.

Yeah that is true Ben. Rules like that should not be broken because if that happens then everyone will be wanting a new number.

I still would sortof like to see Reggie with his college number though

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Pro sports all have a uniformity about their rules. The NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB all have regulations about uniforms, and any violation of those regulations results in a fine. The NFL is particularly strict. Player have been fined for the colors of their socks. I don't see them altering the rule for Reggie Bush. He's in New Orleans, so I predict he will wear 20, 22, 32, or 34. Wait, what number is Deuce McCallister?

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
No rookie should be granted anything special. The NFL ain't the NCAA and he hasn't even taken a pro hit yet. How many college greats can't hang in the NFL?

I say pick a new, position geared, number.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Reggie Bush won't get his No. 5 this year

Reggie Bush won't get to wear the No. 5 he made famous at USC for the New Orleans Saints.

Not this season and perhaps not ever.

Atlanta general manager Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee, said Tuesday that the committee had recommended against Bush's request for his college number.

The decision was made by the committee after two conference calls. It was never discussed by the owners.

"Nobody is comfortable that an exception be made to the policy and no one is confident that there will ever be a change," McKay said at the NFL owners meetings, adding that it might come up again, but certainly not until after the 2006 season has started.

Source Link -Yahoo! Sports

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
No surprise there. The NFL is all about control, and part of control is telling the players what numbers to wear.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdstheBest
No surprise there. The NFL is all about control, and part of control is telling the players what numbers to wear.

Yup and that's the way it should be imo. Why should a rook get special consideration? What exactly has he accomplished in the NFL? Zero. I don't think that he should EVER wear #5, that's just not how things are set up and as was pointed out, there's no extenuating circumstances to allow for it.

top topics

join