It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Flutie hits first NFL drop kick in 61 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Doug flutie got the chance and converted a "drop Kick" in the Patriots last game of the season yesterday....what a great way for the NFL veteran to cap off his career

www.nfl.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Too cool. One question, has Doug done enough to make the Hall of Fame? He's popular enough, not on his first year but I think he'll make it.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This was pretty neat to see. Way to go, Doug!

As far as the HOF for Flutie, I don't know that he's done enough in the NFL for the Hall. If they were to include what he has done in the CFL and USFL, he'd be in, no doubt. Unfortunately, though, in Football there are seperate HOF's for the pros and college, unlike basketball.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Toejam,

Two things:

(1) Is it for sure that this year's playoffs will be the end of his NFL career? Has he said he's quitting? If New England didn't resign him, wouldn't some other team--please note I said "TEAM," so that excludes Arizona--want him? He sure hasn't lost his ability to dodge tacklers. Has he lost his ability to throw over 40 yards? (If so, he should retire, I agree.)

(2) I keep reading that "The Pass," probably the most famous play in College FB history and unquestionably the most famous in the past 45 years, was a "48-yard pass." I have a VERY clear picture in my mind of Flutie's releasing that pass from his own 38-yard line, and of the ball's going 2 or 3 yards deep in the end zone. That makes it a 64- or 65-yard pass. No way did he throw it from anywhere near Miami's 48.

What's the scoop? Was the ball snapped from the 48 on that play, and did Flutie have to scramble to about 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage before he made that movement forward and threw it?

B.H.N.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
What's the scoop? Was the ball snapped from the 48 on that play, and did Flutie have to scramble to about 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage before he made that movement forward and threw it?

I don't remember for sure, but I believe that was the case, he scambled about 10-15 yards behind the line, and it was caught 5 yards into th eend zone. Something like 70 yards in the air. Wow!

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Hail Flukie, that's all he'll be remembered for is that one Hail Flukie play.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Not by those of us who saw him in college. And I'm told the same is true in Canada, although True North is better suited to speak to that. But omg, what a college qb he was.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
He was great in college never got far with the Billa IMO.But he has gone through many emotional struggles.I mean look at his son.But he is and will always be great.

P.S. The drop kick was friggin awesome:party-smiley-018:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
unfortunately, he never had the opportunity to stay anywhere long enough to make a legitimate NFL HOF career, but he played his heart out whereever he was.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
if you're a football fan, you gotta love Flutie. A dropkick! That was awesome. Will he make the NFL Hall? I dunno. I'm guessing probably not.

As for the most famous play in college history, I might have to go with the one featuring the Stanford marching band

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Oops. And I only lived a little over an hour from Cal when that happened!
There will certainly never be another one of those.

But how's this? Let's call Flutie's pass arguably the most famous PLAY in college FB history, and the zillion-lateral, Stanford Marching Band play the most famous ACID TRIP in college FB history. I mean, can we really call that a football play?

B.H.N.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
Oops. And I only lived a little over an hour from Cal when that happened!
There will certainly never be another one of those.

We almost had another one of them, in Michigan / Nebraska last week. Of course, close only counts in horseshoes, handgrenades, and nuclear meltdowns...

top topics

join