It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Want a TE? Look no further than the NBA!!

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Anyone looking for a good tight end might be smart to scout the NCAA basketball tournament.

The sport of basketball, where big guys learn to jump, maneuver in tight spaces and use their bodies to block out, has been breeding some great tight ends of late.

There are no finer examples than Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates, who'll be on display Sunday when the Kansas City Chiefs (3-7) host the San Diego Chargers (7-3).

Gonzalez, the Chiefs' four-time All-Pro, has always credited his experience as a power forward at California with honing his skills as an NFL tight end.

Now into the league comes San Diego's Gates, who didn't even play college football, but excelled as a power forward for Kent State.

Just two years after a sharp-eyed scout remembered that the athletically gifted Gates had also been a star football player in high school and persuaded San Diego to sign him as an undrafted free agent, Gates has hit the big time. After catching eight balls for 101 yards in a victory over Oakland last week, he'll invade Gonzalez's turf with nine touchdown receptions and a league-leading 62 catches.

link

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Gates has done me well this year in my cousin's league, and I get to keep him until next year!

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

Now into the league comes San Diego's Gates, who didn't even play college football, but excelled as a power forward for Kent State.

The media is really hyping up this week's matchup between the NFL's two premier tight ends, Gonzalez vs Gates. As good a rookie as Gates is, I didn't know and frankly am amazed that he didnt even play college ball.

TRD

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I didn't even know he was a basketball player untill i read about it the other day. Gates is turning into a top player and San Diego a much better side.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Gates is turning into a top player and San Diego a much better side.

He's a huge reason that the Bolts are 7-3 so far this season as opposed to 3-7 as most "experts" forecasted. They didnt have much of a passing game before so teams would stack the line to stop Tomlinson but with Brees and Gates having breakout seasons, other teams also have to respect the pass now and Tomlinson is benefitting as well. McCardell was a big acquisition too.

[Edited on 11-27-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yeah, the 'Bolts are the surprise team of the season...

top topics

join