It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Plummer has to take off decal honering tillman

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Denver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer must remove the No. 40 decal he's worn on the back of his helmet since training camp that honors former Arizona Cardinals teammate Pat Tillman.

Tillman, the former safety who walked away from the NFL to join the U.S. Army Rangers and fight in Afghanistan, was killed in action in April.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday the league's long-standing policy prohibits personal messages on uniforms or helmets. Violators could face fines of $5,000.

"We do that because we need a consistent rule. You can't just pick and choose and say one message is OK but another isn't. Where would you draw the line?" Aiello said.

The league has honored Tillman several times this year, including at the NFL draft, at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony in August, and on the second week of the season when all NFL players wore Tillman's number on their helmets.

"I want to honor Pat the best I can. I honor Pat every day, every game in my own private way," Plummer said. "I'm trying to get something done that won't infringe upon the NFL logo and uniform codes.

"I'm not going to fight the NFL," he said. "I'm looking for some kind of compromise."

Plummer and Tillman became close friends after playing together at Arizona State and later with the Cardinals. Plummer said he has been wearing a small No. 40 on the back of his helmet since training camp.

The Cardinals will display Tillman's number on their helmets every game this season, but individual players, such as Plummer, are not allowed to do so.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
what a crock of BS. Of course the NFL can pick and choose, it's thier right, they make the friggin rules!

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I totally agree Gibbs, it's called an "exception" and they're made all the time for all different reasons. I think this is beyond worthy of "exception", the Cardinals are wearing them but a close friend of Tillman's cannot, doesn't seem just.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Isn't there another former teammate who was trying to wear a sticker, too?

top topics

join