It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Eagles add levens

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Correll Buckhalter's season-ending injury opened a void in the Eagles backfield. That void was filled by a familiar face in Philadelphia on Sunday.

Dorsey Levens, who played for the Eagles in 2002, has agreed to terms with the team, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported. Levens, who played last season with the New York Giants, will report to the Eagles on Sunday night.

On the first play of the Eagles' second possession Friday night, Buckhalter took a handoff, made a cut and, before being touched, crumbled to the turf. He eventually was carted off the field with a a torn patellar tendon in his right knee.

Buckhalter, a fourth-year veteran, underwent an MRI Saturday that confirmed the extent of injury. He will need season-ending surgery to repair the injury.

"It's sad to see. Correll came in in great shape," coach Andy Reid said. "It was a crazy one where no one hit him -- he just made a plant and the thing went out."

Last season, Buckhalter rushed for 542 yards to go with a team-high eight touchdowns while spitting time with Brian Westbrook and Duce Staley. Staley signed with the Steelers this offseason, and the Eagles were counting on Westbrook and Buckhalter to share the job.

The other backs on the Eagles' roster are second-year pro Reno Mahe, Eric McCoo and rookie Thomas Tapeh.

McCoo, who has yet to record a carry in a game that counts, spent last year's playoffs on the Eagles' practice squad and led NFL Europe in rushing this past spring. Tapeh, the Eagles' fifth-round pick this year, doubles as both a fullback and tailback.

This is the second season-ending injury Buckhalter has sustained since the Eagles picked him in the fourth round of the 2001 draft. After showing promise as a rookie -- he averaged 4.5 yards per carry and rushed for a pair of touchdowns -- Buckhalter tore the anterior cruciate ligament in the first minicamp before his second season.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Levens is a vet, he used to be able to handle a whole workload for a team, but now he is older that is in question.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Levens is a capable back-up, but Reid likes the running back-by-committee thing too much.

Ben

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
how muhc do you think they will use him

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If reid's history is any indication, I'd say almost a third of the running plays will go through him. 1/3 to Westbrook, and the rest to the other guys (McCoo etal)

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
if you noticed Reid barely gavve staley 20 carry games, last season he had only 6 of those. Not much straight running from Reid.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by freak29
if you noticed Reid barely gavve staley 20 carry games, last season he had only 6 of those. Not much straight running from Reid.

How many do you think he'll get?

Ben

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
in my mind westbrook is goign to get most of the carriers.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
As long as West does not end up with any return duties(which could hurt them) He will probably see 20-25 touches a game(West that is, not including catches). Word around the corner is that Reno will probably be the Backup, and Levens used as insurance, as well as a third down back or possibily as a 4th receiver(Reid has been showing the shotgun in Pre-season and traing camp, this had not been something he liked).

As we saw with the Ricky Williams saga, the open market for backs is horrible. I would have kept Staley, he is a Work Horse, and does not have a big injury past, Im still surprised they passed up on Eddie Goerge though, hey, thats why I dont coach them

Ben

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
West will get some carries, but i dont expect him to rush more than 15 times a game, he is going to catch a few from McNabb.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Reid just doesnt like straight running, and now with TO on the team you can just see them running the ball less. No more than 15 times a game not even close. The only time i can see them running is by the goal-line, or in short yardage situations.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'd think they'll run more than just at the goal line. Westbrook is a solid back, and with levens in there to mix it up, they'll be OK in that department.

I just picked up levens in my another fantasy league in which I really needed a running back...

Ben

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
HOw much did they seriosuly run Staley who is a better back than levens and west.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Last season -
Yards
Player G Rushes Tot /Att /G TD Fumbles
Brian Westbrook 15 117 613 5.2 40.9 7 3
Correll Buckhalter 15 126 542 4.3 36.1 8 3
Duce Staley 16 96 463 4.8 28.9 5 2
Donovan McNabb 16 71 355 5.0 22.2 3 9

top topics

join