It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: San Fran 49ers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 02:30 PM
link   
So what does everyone think of the 49ers this year? I think they should be good again and maybe the team to beat in the NFC West. Garcia keeps getting better and Terrell Owens is no doubt one of the best in the league at his position, if not the best. I think where they really need to improve is defense, they lost Dana Stubblefield and CB Anthony Parker to the Raiders. I think they should think defense at the draft next weekend.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I think the Niners are going to a rough season.New head coach and weak defense.Unless they fix their secondary the Niners will be picked apart.

Ben

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The 49ers arnt going to be the same this season. Like nyeff said they lost their head coach for reasons i dont know, he was a very good coach he is now in Detriot. 49ers are going to be their offensivly like they are every season. Owens is the best in the league but with Steve gone who is there to control him. They lost a couple of defensive players, even if they have a good draft they arn't going to be the same team.

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 03:01 PM
link   
watch out they might go all they way but they will have to getthrow the bills tho

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

I think they should think defense at the draft next weekend.

I agree with you, Proud. They should go for defense.

They were looking at that cornerback that Erickson coached at Oregon State but he got shot, back visiting his hometown so I don't know if that will change their thinking of him.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:16 AM
link   
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- All-Pro receiver Terrell Owens will skip the San Francisco 49ers' voluntary passing camp this week for undisclosed personal reasons.

Owens, who has made the last three Pro Bowls, didn't tell new coach Dennis Erickson why he couldn't make it to the workouts, which began Wednesday. The camp, which concentrates on the Niners' offense, ends Friday.

Erickson said he isn't worried about his star falling behind the learning curve as the new coaching staff installs its variations on former coach Steve Mariucci's offense. The 49ers' final full minicamp begins on Monday.

espn.go.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Running back Rashaan Salaam, the 1994 Heisman Trophy winner who has not played a regular-season NFL game since 1999, has reached agreement on a one-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers and will participate in organized workout sessions this week.

Salaam, 28, impressed San Francisco coaches and officials with his audition during the club's recent mini-camp. Although the team's backfield is already crowded, and the club again expects tailbacks Garrison Hearst and Kevan Barlow to log most of the carries, the consensus was that Salaam is intriguing enough to earn a shot at making the roster.

He will sign a one-year contract for $530,000, the league minimum for veteran player of his tenure, and the deal does not include a signing bonus. It is believed the contract also includes a waiver clause that releases the 49ers from any obligation if Salaam is injured during a football-related activity.

espn.go.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:52 AM
link   
They released J.J. Stokes too.

Man talk about a big time bust.

TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 12:57 PM
link   
San Francisco is continuing an upgrade to its depth chart by bringing in five players to work out during the team's minicamps. The two latest, safety James Boyd and tight end Syii Tucker, were at the 49ers' practice facility showing what they can do. Three veterans were also brought in recently, as cornerback Fred Weary, offensive lineman Norberto Davidds-Garrido and defensive end Byron Frisch hope to land a roster spot. However, there was one fewer tryout date for these players as head coach Dennis Erickson cancelled practice on the last day due to a high quality of work up to that point and injuries. But the 49ers were impressed enough with Weary to offer him a contract June 13. The team will now regroup in July for training camp.

TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The San Francisco 49ers re-signed kick returner Jimmy Williams.

Williams was leading the NFL in punt return average last season when he tore two major ligaments in his left knee against Dallas in December. He was averaging 16.8 yards per punt return and 21.9 yards per kickoff return.

Williams, an exclusive-rights free agent, got a one-year deal. He is expected to be fully healthy for training camp.

TRD

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The run on Penn State players in the NFL draft continued when the San Francisco 49ers chose defensive lineman Anthony Adams with the 57th pick.

Four Nittany Lions were chosen in the first round, including two other defensive lineman - Jimmy Kennedy (St Louis) and Michael Haynes (Chicago).

Wide receiver Bryant Johnson (Arizona) and running back Larry Johnson (Kansas City) also went in the first round while safety Bryant Scott was taken with the 55th pick by Atlanta.

Adams had 166 tackles and six 1/2 sacks in his college career. He closed out his college career with nine tackles in the Capital One Bowl against Auburn.

The 49ers were in the market for a defensive lineman after losing starting left end Chike Okeafor and releasing defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield for salary cap purposes.

TRD

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
San Francisco 49ers tight end Eric Johnson could be out for the season after suffering a broken collarbone and a concussion in the San Francisco 49ers' pre-season game against the New Orleans Saints on Saturday.

Johnson was injured on the first play from scrimmage after he was tackled by cornerback Dale Carter on a one-yard pass.

Carter appeared to hit Johnson with his helmet, but the 49ers had no complaints about the severity of the tackle.

After the play, Johnson returned to the 49ers' huddle, but quarterback Jeff Garcia sent his woozy team-mate to the sideline.

TRD

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Four-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Bryant Young is scheduled to undergo surgery to remove a bone spur from his left ankle and is expected to be sidelined for at least two weeks.

The absence of Bryant, one of the league's top run-stuffing tackles, will be a major blow for the Niners, who lost starting defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield in the close season.

Jim Flanigan, who was signed to replace Stubblefield, has barely practiced in training camp due to a leg injury.

Bryant, 31, has spent his entire nine-year career with the Niners and is third in club history with 63 sacks, but had just two last season.

The 6ft 3in, 291-pound lineman often attracts double teams, freeing up the linebackers to attack the backfield.

San Francisco ranked seventh against the run last season.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Michael Rumph actually looked decent today for the Niners.

First Rams' possession, they went at him all 3 times and didn't get a pass complete against Rumph, who some have said is a draft bust.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The only good thing about my football day today is that the Niners also lost.

To one of the worst teams in the NFL, the Arizona Cardinals no less.

TRD

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yeah i was pretty shocked about that i thought they would win easy...

Ben

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Arizona is still a good team...but they arnt nearly as good this season they lost a lot of good players in the FA.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
What's kind of shocking is that coming into the game the Cardinals had one of the worst rushing offenses in the league and the Niners had one of the best rushing defenses in the league and Cards ended up rushing for 221 yards.

Ben

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yea it was kindof surprising...does anybody know if the 49ers mangement ever got Terrel under control....i remember him throwing a temper tanturm over not getting the ball.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Haha! 49ers lose again!

Baltimore dominated them 44 to 6 today. 49ers are still winless on the road this year.

<<   2 >>

join