It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Who is the Conn Smythe Winner?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well with Game 7 going down tomorrow night, the opportunity to post here is obviously limited. But I ask you who is deserving of the Conn Smythe award?

Here is what I think...

Fernando Pisani: What else could this guy do? (Shave that beard!) This man has been a complete monster. He has scored more times in the playoffs than in the regular season. But his 13 goals are not what stands out the most about him, his work ethic and determination is what is getting him these goals. Rarely is he popping a hilight reel goal, this guy has his nose dirty all the time and its paying off.

Dwayne Roloson: Well with his injury in Game 1, it would be tough to make this argument. But what he did in the previous rounds can not be ignored. Frankly I think Edmonton could have done it without him, but it is unlikely. Roloson really was the missing link to a great team.

Mike Peca: Another guy that has his nose dirty all the time. Great two way player who does just as much in the dressing room as he does on the ice. He can give the speech or he can lead by example, not an easy trait to come by.

Eric Staal: This guy was on a tear in the early rounds, but his up and down play takes him out of the running in my opinion. Great to see a kid this young play so well in situations like this.

Cam Ward: Now he is in the same boat as Staal. Carried the team at moments, but wasn't there in other times when he was needed. Unlikely for him to take home the award, but he is worth considering.

So I come down to these two guys, and I believe whoever is hoisting the cup is the one to take home the Conn Smythe.

If the Canes win the Cup.. How can you not award it to Rod Brind'Amour. The guy is 38 or 39, has a worth ethic like no other. Can you ever remember when the oldest guy on a the team was leading the team in ice time? This guy is like a fine wine, only gets better with age. If Carolina wins the cup, I believe it will go to Rod.

Now on the flip side of the coin, it also could be a no brainer with Chris Pronger. He has put this team on his shoulders and carried it for alot of the time, and when it wasn't it was because of a Pisani, Torres, Smyth, Peca, Roloson etc. stepping up. I think Pronger is worthy of the award regardless of who wins the cup, but odds are his play would not get him the award with a Caronlina win.

So those are my thoughts.. What do you think?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
If a Carolina player other than Cam Ward wins it, whoever is doing the voting should be shot.

An Oiler? Roloson's chances are hurt by the fact that the team continued on without him. Pisani? He's played damn well but so have a lot of others. Look at Moreau, Torres. If not for Pronger with his complete game the Oilers would have been toast long ago.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Your sharp.

Cam Ward came out on top, and after watching game 7 it really was a no brainer.

join