It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Shoot outs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
How do you guys feel about the shoot out. I'm watching Edmonton and Vancouver in OT right now.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well here comes the shootout.

Naslund-miss, Bertuzzi-miss and Park for Vancouver.
Hemsky-goal, Torres-goal, and Peca for Edmonton.

Edmonton wins.

[Edited on 10/8/2005 by Karlsberg]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Watching it now as well. I personally hate them it's not Hockey.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I can see the value of shoot out in this market that's going to have to do something to sell the sport below the border. It'll be fine here but in warmer climes it needs something to excite the ticket buying person there. No insult intended.

Personally, I don't care for it. Never have. This is a team sport, letting two players at a time deciding a game(goalie and shooter) just isn't right. This is Hockey not Football(soccer).

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
As long as it remains in the regular season and not the playoffs, fine. Its kinda fun I guess. But it's no way to decide a champion.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It should be one 10 minute 4 vs. 4 then a 5 minute 3 vs. 3 and if they are still tied after that tough. Also making the nets bigger would be a good way of eliminating ties.

[Edited on 10/8/05 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Is there something wrong with a well earned tie? Am I missing something here?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth

There's nothing wrong with a well earned tie in my opinion. The powers that be see it another way. It's like prison food. They serve it we eat it. Overall the product is better so far. Just don't touch the playoffs.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The problem I see with this product is that a team with 3 snipers and little else behind them, see the Penguins
, will get points that a well balanced team(Tampa) will not. Is that fair?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
A well balanced team should never go to OT with Pittsburgh. A well balanced team should also be able to produce three snipers, just in case. Everyones under the same rules. The goalies are the real stars of the shootout. Hasek vs. Canada in the Olympics I think is where your going. It's no way for a team to be eliminated. Especially the better of the two teams.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Indecision sucks. A tie in a blue moon fine but at least make it so it's rare and not have 1 out of every 8 games end up in a tie like before. Overtime loss points should go as well.

But if it turns out to be a huge ratings success in the USA then it will stay. They have to change it though to 5 skaters not 3. It will give the more balanced teams more of a chance. It's not like it will take that much longer. If they keep the Shootout then Overtime points should stay.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
But if it turns out to be a huge ratings success in the USA then it will stay. They have to change it though to 5 skaters not 3. It will give the more balanced teams more of a chance.

Exactly! Have you noticed at how strong ALL of the Canadian teams are this year? Maybe this is a move to make sure the Cup doesn't go where it is meant to be and hasn't been since '94.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Exactly! Have you noticed at how strong ALL of the Canadian teams are this year? Maybe this is a move to make sure the Cup doesn't go where it is meant to be and hasn't been since '94.

Yeah. I actually think this year all six teams will make the playoffs. I don't think it will work though, this year will most likely have a heavy Canadian presence in the Final four.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
are they going to use the shootout in the playoffs as well? i think that one of the most exciting things in sports is a sudden death overtime, i would hate to see them do away with that in the post season

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
are they going to use the shootout in the playoffs as well? i think that one of the most exciting things in sports is a sudden death overtime, i would hate to see them do away with that in the post season

Nope just regular season.

new topics

top topics

join