It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Patrick Roy retires !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:27 AM
link   
DENVER -- Colorado's Patrick Roy is retiring, ending the 18-year career of one of the greatest goaltenders in NHL history.

Patrick Roy didn't leave with another Cup, but he will retire with the most NHL victories.

Roy will make the announcement at a 2 p.m. ET news conference Wednesday, team spokesman Jean Martineau said.

A four-time Stanley Cup champion, Roy is the NHL's career leader in victories with 551 and games played with 1,029. He also is the career leader in playoff victories, games played and shutouts.

Roy is still considered one of the best goalies in the game at age 37. He has been bothered by arthritic hips the past few years. He also has made it clear he wants to follow the career of his oldest son, Jonathan, a goalie who will start playing in Saskatchewan this fall.

Roy won two Stanley Cups each with Montreal and Colorado, and is the only three-time winner of the Conn Smythe Trophy, awarded to the MVP of the playoffs. Earlier this season he became the first goalie to eclipse 60,000 minutes.

Roy is the NHL's career leader with 23 playoff shutouts, and his 247 games and 151 wins are well ahead of Grant Fuhr, who is second with 150 games and 92 wins.

�He basically has done everything and broke every record, so I think it's pretty safe to say he's the greatest goalie who ever played. �
� Mike Keane on Avs teammate Patrick Roy

espn.go.com...

Do you think Patrick Roy was the best ever?

I'm really glad I got to watch his entire career, he was the best overall that I have ever seen, Brodeur is creeping his way up though.

Ben

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I am really sad that Roy left, that means not a lot of experienced goaltenders are left out there. I think that it is safe to say that Roy was the best ever. But I dunno how long that is going to last for. Broduer is such a great goaltender, and if anybody were to break his records in this era or the next Broduer is possibly the only person who can do it.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I hate Roy but love him at the same time. Being a fan of the red wings means I have hated playing against colorado, but absolutely loved the rivalry...it wont be the same without him.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Does anyone think Brodeur will beat Roy's records? His stats are looking pretty good!

top topics

join