It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Inter-league play, you're the manager, what would you do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
OK, I'm talking about the Blue Jays, I see them the most. The DH is a potent weapon for them. Their pitching has been hit by injury and ineptitude. What do you do in inter-league play?

I say put the pitcher just inside the box and DON'T swing. Avoid injury at all costs. A ball on the elbow, twisted back? Bad options. Give up on the at bat. Unless, of course you're going to go with another pitcher anyways, then you put in a pinch hitter.

Am I wrong?

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I agree & disagree with that.

First of all, with the injuries the Jays have encountered so far, this is a no brainer you would think. With Burnett not really 100% all season, and with the uncertainty of Chacin there is alot of reason to be nervous. So an injury like this could be the one to break the camels back.

But I am a competitor and these guys are professional athletes. If I went to a game and watched anyone come to the plate and not swing by choice, I would be out of my seat screaming. Whether it was my team or not, you would not deserve to wear the uniform.

You have alternatives. Normally you would not bunt with a guy on first and one out, but the hell with it. Lay down the sac anyways, your getting a guy in scoring position with the lead off hitter coming up and your pitcher is still top notch. Take him out an inning or two earlier than normal to put up a pinch hitter, then get the bullpen up.

I do not want to see any injuries, but I would turn the TV off or leave my seat if I saw a team giving up outs without a fight.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I don't mean to get off topic, but having pitchers bat is absolutely ridiculous. Interleague play is just highlighting the fact. The only reason I can see to have pitchers actually bat is to make sure they don't nail the opposing teams batters in the head, as they will get it back. Honestly what is the point of having pitchers hit? At this point in the league they just look absurd up there. Also NL pitchers get better stats because they don't have to face the DH. This is killing the Red Sox cause they can't let Ortiz bat DH and have to switch players. Also my Sox look ridiculous for trading Arroyo because he's tearing up the NL right now. As much as I liked Arroyo he did no justice to Alice in Chains when he tried to cover them. I have nothing against interleague play in general, it's just flawed how they implement everything. Pitchers shouldn't have to bat, if anyone disagrees with me I'd like to hear you're arguments (even though you're dead wrong).

edit to add that the Blue Jays don't matter, the Sox and Yankees will beat them and they have no chance (even though they seem to kick the Red Sox ass when they play).

2nd edit to add sorry for the profanity and the Blue Jays hate, but seriously who cares about the Blue Jays (besides the Canadians, who like hockey for some reason more anyway).

[Edited on 6/16/06 by Kwyjibo]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwyjibo

edit to add that the Blue Jays don't matter, the Sox and Yankees will beat them and they have no chance (even though they seem to kick the Red Sox ass when they play).

You do realize that the Jays are in a dogfight with both of those teams? All seperated by 1 game. They DO have a winning record against the Sox and may against the Yankies as well, so what's your point?

2nd edit to add sorry for the profanity and the Blue Jays hate, but seriously who cares about the Blue Jays (besides the Canadians, who like hockey for some reason more anyway).

Again, what's your point? Do you have a problem with Canadians or hockey or both?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
None of that matters because the Phillies are going to win the World Series!

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

You do realize that the Jays are in a dogfight with both of those teams? All seperated by 1 game. They DO have a winning record against the Sox and may against the Yankies as well, so what's your point?

I'm bitter because the Jays are owning the Sox. Good enough for ya?

Again, what's your point? Do you have a problem with Canadians or hockey or both?

My reply was tongue in cheek, but not very clever. I have nothing against Canada and hope I can go there when (if) the US reinstates the draft or they completely legalize grass. Although I've never been to Canada, I've only heard good things. Also yes I have a problem with hockey, in that it resembles soccer too much for me, and I have an unreasonable hatred for soccer. All apologies.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwyjibo

I'm bitter because the Jays are owning the Sox. Good enough for ya?

My reply was tongue in cheek, but not very clever. I have nothing against Canada and hope I can go there when (if) the US reinstates the draft or they completely legalize grass. Although I've never been to Canada, I've only heard good things. Also yes I have a problem with hockey, in that it resembles soccer too much for me, and I have an unreasonable hatred for soccer. All apologies.

It's all good man.

Hockey resembles soccer? In hockey they encourage physical contact. AND you don't get thrown out of the game for fighting.

Although with all of the diving taking place this year I can see where you're coming from.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
How bout this. you can do what you want, keep the guy as far back in the zone as possible. But why not do this:

keep him as far back in the box as possible, and have him just hold the bat out in the strike zone, like if he was gonna bunt it. That way, it's not a complete given out... because he may get contact, and a botched throw would put him on first.

new topics

top topics

join