It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Red Sox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So, the Red Sox are off to a 6-1 start, winning five in a row, and all is good in the world. We even locked up Ortiz for another four years, so we can avoid another Boston hero ditching us. However, Coco Crisp is out two week with a broken knuckle and Trot Nixon just went down with a groin injury.

Adam Stern and Kevin Youkillis have been on fire so far, but does anyone think they'll be able to keep up the pace? Also, whats the deal with Willy Mo Pena? When we got him I thought he had an awesome name, but his defense in right field was scary. He turned a fly ball into a home run, and didn't look confident out there whatsoever. Anyone have an knowledge of his skills? Is it the Boston jitters? Does nobody care about the Red Sox?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Dear Kwyjibo,

I'm not shining on your post. I have a death penalty case in which I must file my brief on, or within a week or two after, April 21. I am working my @ss off. And, other than reading box scores, rooting against Bonds but for my Giants, and reading major sports stories (e.g., the mess at Duke), I am not following MLB to date this year. And I won't be until that brief has been accepted for filing.

But once that is done--after only FOUR years of working on it--and then especially when the NBA playoffs are done, I will dig into this MLB season like my Golden Retriever would dig into a cat. (My apologies to any cat lovers. Suffice it to say I'm not one of you. And neither is she.)

But yeah, man, I am a Boston fan and always have been. I became MUCH less of a Boston fan when they didn't keep Pedro, the modern day Lefty Grove, but I still love them and would love to see them get 5 more rings, despite the semi-Steinbrennerian spending habits. And I congratulate you on being one of their fans... as long as you've been one all along.

You can see what being a Giants fan entails.... It was even more painful during the Mays/McCovey/Marichal/Cepeda/Gaylord Spitball years. Five Hall of Famers; one pennant; no rings. Broke my heart annually.

BHN

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Sorry about not posting on this but i'm not a Red Sox fan, in fact i really don't follow the AL all that much, i get the Twins crammed down my throat all day every day. However I am the biggest Sox fan when they are playing the Yankees, i do watch all of those games.

It was nice to see they signed Ortiz to a 4 year deal, I laugh at all my friends that root for the Twins because they basically gave Ortiz away. I haven't really been up on any new baseball news as of late since it's spring and i have tons of yard work to do, yesterday i had to dethach the yard and fertilze, tommorrow i build my privacy fence and this weekend i put up a shed so i have somewhere to put my Still so i can make some moonshine, but come may i'll be up on all the baseball news and ready to talk about it.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I realize everyone here has responsibilities and haven't yet gotten into the season. This is why I avoid structure in my life, but it's all just starting, I'm sure they'll be plenty of future discussion. I was mostly trying to root out any Yankees fans that might be posting here.

BHN,
Larry Luchino and Red Sox ownership don't seem to be on the ball. Letting Pedro go (as well as most of the 2004 team) was heartbreaking. However, like trading Nomar, maybe it's all for the best in the long run to stay competitive. So far so good anyway.

I haven't lived in MA my whole life, so can't claim I was always a die-hard. However, my mom is from MA and a lifelong fan so I have Red Sox fan blood. At the very least I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon after the magnificient 2004 season, I've been following the sox heavily since about 99, and dealt with the pain of being a Red Sox fan in 2003 when Boone hit that soul-crushing homer.

Aegis fang,
Thanks for giving up Ortiz, who would've thought he'd be such a monster clutch hitter. Also, all of Twins nation has my sympathy for the passing of Kirby Puckett.

I'll keep my posts about the Red Sox dominating to a minimum in the future, as it's pretty much self-evident anyway.

new topics

top topics

join