It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: BASEBALL TRIVIA QUESTION #5

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Tyrus Raymond Cobb, the Georgia Peach, won 11 or 12 batting titles, depending on which set of stats you use. He also posted a .366 or .367 lifetime batting average, again depending on which set of stats you use. When I was a small kid first studying baseball history in the early 60's, it was still considered an open question whether Ruth or Cobb was baseball's greatest player.

With improved understandings of various statistics--especially that on-base average is more important than batting average--this is no longer true, particularly since Cobb was a mediocre CF. However, any list of the game's all-time Top 10 which doesn't include Cobb is extremely suspect, and any list of the Top 20 which doesn't was written by someone who'd smoked a bowl or two of opium.

So, whether he won 12 batting titles, as was believed for so many decades, or whether he won "only 11," as has been believed for 2 or 3 decades now, Cobb is by far the leader in "most batting titles won," among many other things.

But there are TWO great players who are tied for second-most batting titles won, with EIGHT. And when I say "great," I'm not overstating matters in either case.

QUESTION:
What two players, whose birthdates are separated by 86 years, won eight batting titles?

B.H.N.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Please Note: Although it would be better if you tried to guess both guys, it's fine with me if you only try to guess one of the two guys. Just please, no reference books or websites.

B.H.N.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The current player likely is Tony Gwynn, although if it's not, Wade Boggs comes to mind.

The other guy would have had to been born pre 1900. Not really a clue there, so i will guess Nap Lojoie since he hit 400.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Hootie,

I ought to zap you for taking two guesses on the modern player, but your real guess was Gwynn, and that guess is:

CORRECT

It's also correct that the other player was born before 1900. Specifically, he was born in 1874, which is the same year Nap Lajoie was born. But your apparent guess of Nap Lajoie is:

INCORRECT

B.H.N.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
And since you've already taken your guess as to the early player, I'll go ahead and make the answer obvious to you. This guy was a MUCH better player than Lajoie. And in your opinion, and James', but not mine, better than Tris Speaker.

B.H.N.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
And since you've already taken your guess as to the early player, I'll go ahead and make the answer obvious to you. This guy was a MUCH better player than Lajoie. And in your opinion, and James', but not mine, better than Tris Speaker.

B.H.N.

Has to be Cobb then.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
You're taking another guess, but NO, you're obviously wrong. I SAID in the question that Cobb won 12 or 11, depending on which figure you accept, and that the modern guy (Gwynn) and that the old guy (Mr. Born in 1874) won 8.

So the question, by its terms, excludes Cobb. And Cobb was born in 1886 and played until 1928. This guy was born in 1874, and although he played well in old age and lasted through 1917, he never got to bat with the live ball... a real shame, because it's hurt his modern rankings.

Now, tomorrow you will know this in a flash and be embarrassed you didn't get it at once. But let's give the others a couple of days, ok? And congrats on getting Gwynn. :party-smiley-018:

B.H.N.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
OK, time's up on this one.

The other 8-time batting champion--a National Leaguer, like Gwynn--was... H O N U S W A G N E R.

top topics

join