It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Carpenter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a year to remember for this consistent red birds phenom...im a personally excited to finally see some 20 game winners

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Carpenter is awsome. The man is nasty. I would have no problem seeing the Cy Young going to him. But he has good competition from Willis and Clemens. Willis and Carpenter have very similar stats 21 wins, 7 complete games their era aren't to far off...Carpenter has the lower. Willis has one more complete game shutout but Carpenter has less losses and more k's. Clemens on the other hand has literally no era. but he doesn't have many wins(not his fault) and only one Complete game. I think you have to give to either Carpenter or Willis but I could see it going to Clemens. If Houston makes the post season then Clemens wins the Cy Young. Check out this quote that Willis said about Caprenter.

"My vote goes to Carpenter," Willis said. "He's pretty much got it in the bag. He ain't been hit in a year and a half. Hey, my momma taught me to give credit where credit's due."

Besides ERA carpenter I feel has everything else locked up.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Who would've seen his year coming? Not me. I didn't even realize who he was really until this year, also obviously his breakout year.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
i agree carpenter should win but i also think that ERA is the most important stat in pitching by far

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yea. Wins are some what overrated, because you could give up 5 runs and still win if say you were on the yanks of sox.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
AGREED ZIGGS

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
carpenter is all around better than clemens, hes got a better whip and more k's, a little worse era, so wins dont matter

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
k's don't mean anything, the only important stat in pitching is ERA because your job is to not give up runs

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
bt cy young rewards for the best pitcher, not best era, if they gave the award by ur standards that means jake peavyu wouldve won it last year, the factor is that u need to be better than every1 else, in alot of categories aka THE BEST PITCHER!

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
the best pitcher is the pitcher that does his job better than any other pitcher..correct?...if you give up less runs than another pitcher than that means you did a better job than them...k's, and WHIP are secondary stats...say u let 3 runners get on base every inning but you get out of the jam everytime...you will have a bad WHIP but a lot ERA which is twice as important

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
or what if you get 15 k's everygame but youre ERA is 5 and someone has no K's and has a ERA of 2 the lower ERA is a better pitcher IMO

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
so then u saying peavy shuldve won it last year? he had the lowest era

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
then yes

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
You believe he was a better pitcher than Johnson/Clemens?

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
peavy didnt even get a vote because he pitched much less than the other candidates

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I think ERA is more important than wins as far as a statistic is concerned. Though wins is important.

top topics

join