It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Rookies to watch for

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
What are some rookies you guys think people should have an eye on. I believe there are two right now... Clint Barmes and Prince Fielder. I watched Clint Barmes play a little for the Sky Sox here in Colorado Springs, and seeing as how he was batting in the upper .300's for a long time... I believe he could become somewhat the next Helton for the Rockies... I'm talking average wise though. Prince fielder, who just so happens to be the son of the Great Cecil, has the potential to become an All-Star. He's only had 25 AB's and is batting .280, but has already shown he has Power and has done fairly well in the other areas.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
American league......Nick Swisher...coming alive in Oakland
National League.......Lance Niekro... replacing JT in SF

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Zach Duke of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I see him as the next MVP pitcher. Well, of course after few years. He's only been in the major league for less than 2 months and he's already incredible.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I made this post before Jeff Francoeur broke into the scene. He's going to be a great player for my Braves for, hopefully, many hyears to come.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hey this is my first sports post. Thought I would give my insight. Baseball is probably my favorite.

These guys I am about to list are not necessarily rookies but they are definitly the future of the game. Some of them are already stars. The requirement is that they must be 25 years of age or younger. Can not be born before 1980. I call it the Ultimate future Fantasy team.

1B - Mark Teixeira ( Hits the hell out of the ball going to be a consistent 100 run 100 RBI guy)
SS - Johnny Peralta ( I am from cleveland and Biased, but this Kid has power. He is a Jeter/Rodriguez mix)
3B - Hank Blalock ( Real strong bat...Havn't payed to much attention to him. Slipped under my radar.)
2B - Robinson Cano ( must be good wearing the pin stripes. If he sucks they will run him out of town)
OF - Grady Seizmore ( One of the best young prospects I have seen. Good power, speed and a heck of a defensive player. Don't be surprised if the Yankees come after him. I hate the yanks.)
OF - Willy Taveras - Lacks the RBI area but he will become a 100+run and 50+ steals type of guy. He gets on base and its an atomatic triple.)
OF- Carl Crawford - He and Willy fall into the same boat. Lots of speed. They create plays.
C - Joe Mauer - If he stays healthy this kid has a lot of talent
Utility - Albert Pujols (Nothing needs to be said. He must be lying on his birth certificate.)

Starting Pitchers

Brett Meyers ( Lots of Strikeouts will throw a complete game then give up 20 runs. He will be a sub 3 era. his 3.62 is high for him in my opinion.)

Zach Duke ( Has shown some excellent talent this year. Is 5-0 with a 2.13. Give him a full season to really get a feel)

Dontrelle Willis ( Has the second half problem. Seemed to have fix it a bit this year. Willis will win the Cy young within 2 years)

Jake Peavy ( Has been an excellent starter for the past 2-3 years. He throwns a ton of strikeouts which means he is bringing some gas. Not many Arms can hold up to thaat abuse. Until that time he is a guarantee pick up.)

Justin Verlander ( Has only pitched in 2 games. I had the privilage of seen the one against Cleveland. All I can say is "Bring the heater Ricky." He was gunning it 99-100 in the 7th. Complimented by a 63-65 mph breaking ball. He won't be an everyday starter probably until 2007. When he comes into the bigs for good one of two things will happen. 1. He becomes a star. 2. Blows out his arm. I am banking on 1.)

Danny Haren ( Solid Pitcher had a good year. Look for great ones in the future. Make sure he stays a starter.)

Closers.

Huston Street ( The new Mr. Automatic in save opportunities. Didn't start closing permenantly until July 19th. Already has 15 saves. He will be a 50 save guy in the years to come. Possibly more being on the A's.)

Fransisco Rodriguez ( Very good Closer. Has a few blown but he has a ton of K's for only closing. I expect 30 -40 saves a year out of him)

This should be your future Fantasy team. You will get a little bit of everything from these guys.

[Edited on 8/17/05 by Timcouchfanclub]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS Timcouchfanclub. Things are running VERY slowly right now here on ATS, but it'll eventually pick up once Football season starts.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Felix Hernadez. Has the talent to be as good, or better then Prior or Santana very soon.

Delmon Young, great power, a Albert Belle clone.

Justin Upton, a great prospect in the Griffey, Arod tier.

Francouer a nice prospect and great start, but his failure to walk will catch up to him, and he only was a .270 hitter in minors.

Duke is a nice sp, but has pitched a bit over his head so far.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Timcouchfanclub
Hey this is my first sports post. Thought I would give my insight. Baseball is probably my favorite.

These guys I am about to list are not necessarily rookies but they are definitly the future of the game. Some of them are already stars. The requirement is that they must be 25 years of age or younger. Can not be born before 1980. I call it the Ultimate future Fantasy team.

1B - Mark Teixeira ( Hits the hell out of the ball going to be a consistent 100 run 100 RBI guy)
SS - Johnny Peralta ( I am from cleveland and Biased, but this Kid has power. He is a Jeter/Rodriguez mix)
3B - Hank Blalock ( Real strong bat...Havn't payed to much attention to him. Slipped under my radar.)
2B - Robinson Cano ( must be good wearing the pin stripes. If he sucks they will run him out of town)
OF - Grady Seizmore ( One of the best young prospects I have seen. Good power, speed and a heck of a defensive player. Don't be surprised if the Yankees come after him. I hate the yanks.)
OF - Willy Taveras - Lacks the RBI area but he will become a 100+run and 50+ steals type of guy. He gets on base and its an atomatic triple.)
OF- Carl Crawford - He and Willy fall into the same boat. Lots of speed. They create plays.
C - Joe Mauer - If he stays healthy this kid has a lot of talent
Utility - Albert Pujols (Nothing needs to be said. He must be lying on his birth certificate.)

Starting Pitchers

Brett Meyers ( Lots of Strikeouts will throw a complete game then give up 20 runs. He will be a sub 3 era. his 3.62 is high for him in my opinion.)

Zach Duke ( Has shown some excellent talent this year. Is 5-0 with a 2.13. Give him a full season to really get a feel)

Dontrelle Willis ( Has the second half problem. Seemed to have fix it a bit this year. Willis will win the Cy young within 2 years)

Jake Peavy ( Has been an excellent starter for the past 2-3 years. He throwns a ton of strikeouts which means he is bringing some gas. Not many Arms can hold up to thaat abuse. Until that time he is a guarantee pick up.)

Justin Verlander ( Has only pitched in 2 games. I had the privilage of seen the one against Cleveland. All I can say is "Bring the heater Ricky." He was gunning it 99-100 in the 7th. Complimented by a 63-65 mph breaking ball. He won't be an everyday starter probably until 2007. When he comes into the bigs for good one of two things will happen. 1. He becomes a star. 2. Blows out his arm. I am banking on 1.)

Danny Haren ( Solid Pitcher had a good year. Look for great ones in the future. Make sure he stays a starter.)

Closers.

Huston Street ( The new Mr. Automatic in save opportunities. Didn't start closing permenantly until July 19th. Already has 15 saves. He will be a 50 save guy in the years to come. Possibly more being on the A's.)

Fransisco Rodriguez ( Very good Closer. Has a few blown but he has a ton of K's for only closing. I expect 30 -40 saves a year out of him)

This should be your future Fantasy team. You will get a little bit of everything from these guys.

[Edited on 8/17/05 by Timcouchfanclub]

If your saying 25 and under how could you not include Miguel Cabrera, or Albert Pujols!!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
What are some rookies you guys think people should have an eye on. I believe there are two right now... Clint Barmes and Prince Fielder. I watched Clint Barmes play a little for the Sky Sox here in Colorado Springs, and seeing as how he was batting in the upper .300's for a long time... I believe he could become somewhat the next Helton for the Rockies... I'm talking average wise though.

You have to remember, that park is a mile high, just like Coors. Stats are badly inflated. Also, the PCL is a hitters heaven (high altitude parks), inflating stats. Barmes will never hit 330-37- Helton did in his prime.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Zack Duke is pitching amazing....winning pretty much every time he goes out there on the Pirates who aren't the greatest team this year. I think in the future Duke and Oliver Perez are going to be a great one-two punch for Pittsburgh!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   

If your saying 25 and under how could you not include Miguel Cabrera, or Albert Pujols!!!!

I did put Pujols. Cabrera was a toss up between him and Peralta. Orlando has better base speed but Peralta has better Power.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I predict that the two rookies of the year will be

AL : Huston Street
NL : Willy Taveras

new topics

top topics

join