It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: mariners trade garcia to white sox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
looks like it is rebuilding time for the mariners as they have traded freddie garcia to the white sox...the good news is they also got rid of ben davis

White Sox get Garcia from Mariners

June 27, 2004
CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago White Sox acquired right-hander Freddy Garcia from the Seattle Mariners on Sunday, bolstering their starting rotation for the AL Central race.

The White Sox gave up young catcher Miguel Olivo, top prospect Jeremy Reed and minor league infielder Michael Morse in the trade. Chicago also gets catcher Ben Davis and cash from the Mariners.

Garcia, who can become a free agent after this season, will pitch for White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, one of his best friends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Garcia was 4-7 with a 3.20 ERA in 15 starts for Seattle this season. The two-time All-Star is 76-50 in his six-year career with a 3.89 ERA.

``We have an opportunity to challenge for the division in a better way,'' White Sox general manager Ken Williams said.

Olivo, who is batting .270, hit his seventh homer of the season off Cubs right-hander Greg Maddux on Sunday. He has good speed and a strong arm.

``It was one of the hardest conversations I've ever had with a player,'' Williams said.

The 27-year-old Garcia was one of the top pitchers available on the trade market. Williams said the White Sox hope to sign him to a new contract.

Davis has split time this season between Seattle and Triple-A Tacoma. He appeared in 14 games with the Mariners and batted .091.

The 23-year-old Reed has eight homers and 37 RBIs as an outfielder for Triple-A Charlotte. He was drafted by the White Sox in 2002 and is a career .334 hitter in the minors. Morse was batting .287 at Double-A Birmingham.

TRD

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hrmm i guess that didn't work out to bad then?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
hopefully the trade will work out...freddie has pitched well this year with hard luck and no offensive backup from the rest of the team after an off year last season, the m's need catching help, wilson is i think 35 and the backup pat borders is 41, that is old for the beating a catcher takes, davis has been a BIG disapointment since they got him from san diego...big contract....no hit...can only hope for the best for freddie

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I like Fred Garcia. Too bad he couldn't stay with the Mariners eh?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
it is too bad, freddie has been a big part of the teams success the past few years, there had to be some changes made though, the team has gone to heck in a handbasket this year, freddie had the biggest trade value, sorry to see him go

top topics

join