It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: BaseBall Trivia..

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEnforcer
I have a couple of good ones if you dont mind....

1. What did Rod Carew do in 1972 that no AL player has ever done?

is it hit over .300 with 0 hr's?

2. Who hit into the most double plays in their career?

Cal Ripken with 350

3. Who had the most hits in the 1990's? (not as obvious as you might think)

was it Tony Gwynn?

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
1. is it hit over .300 with 0 hr's?
close enough, he won the batting title with zero homeruns

2. Cal Ripken with 350
Yes!

3. was it Tony Gwynn?
Incorrect

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
mark grace of the cubs with 1754, he also had the most doubles

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Yes indeedy toejam! Not the obvious choice but the right one.

TRD

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hey well done i was still trying to get the answers...

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
now if i may ask one...

who invented the rain check in baseball?

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam

who invented the rain check in baseball?

I'm gonna guess, Abner Powell in 1889?

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
nope

TRD

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Can i ask what the 'rain check' is first?

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
sorry, when you go to a ball game and it gets rained out you get a "rain check" it's good for a ticket to another game

TRD

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
All i found out is that the first ever rain check was in detroit in 1888 but it doesn't say who thought of it...

The only other thing i could find was the same answer as PA...

RAIN CHECK: In the early days, heavy cardboard tickets were sold, turned in at the end of each game and used day after day. When fence jumpers and pass hounds started joining paying customers in the line seeking tickets for a later game after a rainout, Abner Powell, club owner at New Orleans, came up with a perforated rain check stub. That was back in 1889, and his idea is still in use.

LINK

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
i will have to give you guys that one although it wasn't the answer that i had, i had read that charles ebbets,(of ebbets field fame) one of the original owners of the brooklyn dodgers had come up with it, i will have to do some more research on it.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
here is what i based my answer on

Over the years Ebbets received credit for several baseball innovations, including the rain check and the idea that teams should draft in inverse order to their final standings in the annual minor-league draft. He was also an early proponent of uniform numbers. During an exhibition game in Memphis on March 28, 1917, the previous year's World Series combatants, Brooklyn and the Boston Red Sox, wore numbers on their sleeves because Ebbets thought that fans in non-major league cities would be unfamiliar with the players. He proposed that all teams be required to put numbers on players' sleeves or caps at the NL meeting on December 13, 1922, but the league voted to leave it to the discretion of the individual teams. The practice of putting numbers on uniforms didn't catch on until after the New York Yankees wore large numbers on their backs in 1929

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I also found this....

The Crackers' very first owner was Charles Abner Powell in 1901. Powell was one of baseball's most colorful and charismatic figures, and the inventor of Ladies' Day and the raincheck.

www.atlantacracker.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
what might have happened is that ebbets was the first to issue rain checks in the major leagues, as it certainly appears that they were used in the minors before he used them

bioproj.sabr.org...

[Edited on 3/5/2005 by toejam]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Over the years Ebbets received credit for several baseball innovations, including the rain check and the idea that teams should draft in inverse order to their final standings in the annual minor-league draft.

bioproj.sabr.org...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The first "rain check" was issued in Detroit in 1888. Holders of tickets for a rained out game were admitted free of charge for the next scheduled match.

www.aagpbl.org...

Ebbets is sometimes credited with inventing the rain check and with suggesting that teams with the worst records should draft first, long before there was a draft. He had a deserved reputation for honesty and was popular in Brooklyn.

www.baseballlibrary.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
wow...looks like everyone invented the rain check...LOL, probably not the best trivia question to ask, as there appears to be so many answers to it...btw that sabr project on the biographies is a fantastic site if you are interested in baseball history, their goal is to do a bio on every player in major league history, even if they only appeared in one game...quite the ambitious project

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Actually I think it was a great question. I dont mind doing a little research, pretty interesting that we came up with two completely different answers but links to support each one. I wonder which is right, I'm leaning to Powell only because it looks he came up with it an earlier date.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
actuall there were 3 answers, powell, ebbets, and the one in detroit...

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join