It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: BaseBall Trivia..

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
That was a good question, it looks like no one really knows what the answer is though...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
it is probably one of those things that are lost in the mists of time, like why is it called a bullpen, i know that there are at least 2 explanations for that one...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Here's another piece of testimony for Mr Powell.

PDF file - LINK

Baseball was a speculative business in the late 1880's. Leagues would form and fold over a period of weeks, so capturing every dollar was often the difference between meeting payroll or not.

In those days, fans were issued a thick cardboard ticket when they paid their admission. These tickets were collected after the game to be reused. However, when even the infield tarp could not prevent a game from being called due to prolonged rainstorms, fans were given a different ticket that they could use to attend a future game. Abner Powell, now the manager of the New Orleans Pelicans, noticed that there were often more people requesting these future tickets than had actually paid admission - fence jumpers and free loaders were common in those days. He devised a detachable stub on each ticket that was labeled the "rain check" and that was first used during the 1889 season. Eventually he had a printer in Little Rock that made perforated tickets for the club. Once again, Abner's innovation caught on and is used not only for baseball, but for most other events.

If Abner Powell had patented his ideas he would have been able to retire a very rich man. Instead, he remained very active in baseball, resurrecting the defunct Southern League in 1901 as the Southern Association. At one point Abner owned four teams in the Southern Association, providing much of the capital and grit needed to keep the league going during its early years.

But baseball has largely forgotten Abner Powell, a man who gave his life - and some of his best ideas - to the game.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
1.) What father-son combo have been All-Star game MVPs? What years?

2.) Who is the only person to play for the same franchise in three different cities? What were the cities and team?

3.) Who were the only two brothers to win the Cy Young Award? What years?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
1 ken griffey jr and sr.....1980, 1992

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
jim and gaylord perry

jim in 1970, gaylord in 1972 and 78

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
2 everyone who is on the washington team this year who was with the expos last year when they played both in montreal and san juan

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
1 ken griffey jr and sr.....1980, 1992

2 everyone who is on the washington team this year who was with the expos last year when they played both in montreal and san juan

3 jim and gaylord perry

jim in 1970, gaylord in 1972 and 78

1 and 3 are correct. #2 is wrong. They played in PR but they weren't actually the PR Expos. The answer is 3 cities, one franchise, but who did it and with what team and cities?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm stumped on this one so far PA. i just spent an hour comparing rosters of teams that were in 3 cities within 15 to 20 years of each other and i have a headache i'll continue this project tomorrow.

TRD

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm not even going to attemp it, i'll leave it to you Aegis!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

2.) Who is the only person to play for the same franchise in three different cities? What were the cities and team?

Well after hours and hours of searching i have come to the conclusion that the answer to this is Eddie Mathews he played for the Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta Braves. That was a toughy good job PA.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
Well after hours and hours of searching i have come to the conclusion that the answer to this is Eddie Mathews he played for the Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta Braves. That was a toughy good job PA.

That would be the answer aegis, good job.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
what is unique about Spencer Pumpelly's major league career?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

what is unique about Spencer Pumpelly's major league career?

He only pitched one inning for the 1925 Senators, gave up a homerun and a walk, he faced 4 batters. is that what you're looking for?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
good job getting his record but that is not what i am looking for, something about his career is unique and makes him an interest to baseball historians.....

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

good job getting his record but that is not what i am looking for, something about his career is unique and makes him an interest to baseball historians.....

Is it that nobody really know's where he played or if he played at all in the 7 or 8 years between his college baseball career and his major league inning?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
that is a fact and you are on the right track, this guy was really a nobody.....but there is something else that sets him apart

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I finally got it, nobody know's which side of the plate he batted from. one would assume that since he threw righty he batted righty but that isn't always the case.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
GOOD WORK....he is the latest major leager with an at bat (he pitched 4 innings so he must have batted) that the baseball historians do not know which side of the plate he batted from....this was a toughie, you get 10 sportstawk schimmolians for getting this one :party-smiley-018:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Here's a good one. Who threw the first no hitter that resulted in a loss for the team that threw the no hitter, what team did he play for and when did it happen?

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join