It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having a Gas in Okefenokee Swamp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   

WAYCROSS, Georgia -- Strange things happen in the 700 miles of mostly wet wilderness that comprise the Okefenokee Swamp.

Locals here cheerfully trade stories of being pursued by odd glowing orbs of green light, alien abductions and encounters with the Pig Man, a Southern version of Bigfoot. These mysterious meetings purportedly occur both deep within the swamp and along the dark and lonely roads that border it.

www.wired.com...

Why would swamp gas follow someone? It doesn't make sense to me. They said my UFO sightings were swamp gas. Trouble is.....there's no swamps here.... other than swamp coolers.
But I don't think they count right?

[Edited on 09/08/2002 by MountainStar]

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   
what is swamp gas anyway?.....does it actually glow??

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Swamp gas is formed by decaying organic matter that has been naturally transformed into a luminescent gaseous form, Knight explained. No one knows why the gas globs sometimes appear to track and pursue humans. Some assume it's an optical illusion caused when headlights or flashlights illuminate the gas, but others aren't so sure.

www.wired.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I lived there for a short while nearly 40 yrs ago.
Bet its not as Wild as it used to be.
If you hear those Cottonmouth Water Moccasins
hiss at you ..Run ! Those Bad boys wont back off in inch
if you get them mad they will chase you ..no BS.!

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   
blah. snakes arent a worry if you carry a sword.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Foxfire is not unique to Okefenokee Swamp. One thing I do find unique or odd about these glowing balls following people or "drifting" into town is that no bad smell is mentioned in the article really.
Methane is swamp gas, it stinks, it's what we fart. If a luminescent ball of methane was near a person, I think the odour would have stood out VERY clearly.

top topics

join