It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words and inter-communicational ettiquette

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I do not understand the necessity of people to engage in topical battles or arguments by/on subjects which one can see from the outset as unsolvable or impossible to conclude more than stalemate.
One such is faith, or spiritually founded and motivated hope which CANNOT be proven or else the intent of the concept itself would not exist. Philosophical or Speculative concepts and discussions are what many of us are about, but to afford emotional conflict is weak, childish and just plain weak. Anyone can pick a fight; anyone can throw a punch. But, to sit and endure a continuous, barrage of insults and KNOW thyself and KNOW they are wrong as a one knows self best, is true strength. ANYBODY can say what they want about pursuit of sinless, pious, righteousness as a lifepath or journey on the path or the Way, but to not lie to others or SELF, is not only easier to attempt and attainable than one might think. One cannot know ANY truth unless they actually choose to face their own, inside and out-through and through. Just had to vent as mundane inanities that repeatedly appear between whomever on the same topic is not just illogical and irrelevant to growth...it's just boring.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
amen, nice rant

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Lucifer,
You bring up some good and valid points. My only contention is that:
* "Philosophical or Speculative concepts and discussions are what many of us are about, but to afford emotional conflict is weak, childish and just plain weak."

I agree but "we", as individuals, are bestowed with human nature, also have differences of opinion. I do agree that in presenting our beliefs and opinions, that "we" should do so without belittlements, name calling, etc.

* "Anyone can pick a fight; anyone can throw a punch. But, to sit and endure a continuous, barrage of insults and KNOW thyself and KNOW they are wrong as a one knows self best, is true strength."

Agreed. My contention would be the word you used: "Know." With varied opinions and beliefs comes many who stand by those opinions and beliefs because they feel that they are based on "knowing" or "truth" or "fact." The problem, as always, is how does one "know" that he/she is onto the "truth", or has the correct information or is on the "know"? Facts, truth, information can be "percieved" in a variety of ways and thus can be believed likewise. In short, we must be tolerant of each others views, beliefs, opinions. I have said this many times and I will again here, what you may percieve as the "facts" or the "truth" or the "know", can and will percieved by others as quite opposite....its all a matter of perception and perspective.

* "One cannot know ANY truth unless they actually choose to face their own, inside and out-through and through."

Very true, but it has also been said, for example:
"God said: I cannot tell you my truths until you stop telling me yours."
Our subjective opinions and beliefs, etc. are based on many factors. They become engrained in ourselves and we end up taking them as 'gospel'. The key to discussion is tolerance/restraint and the willingness to view or read or research something that is contrary to your beliefs, views, opinions, etc. To continue to chellenge "our" truths is a must....we must never settle for what "we" believe to be 'right' or 'wrong' or truth or fact....
We must have tolerance/restraint and continue to have an open-mind.
Belittlements and accusations and name calling are not necessary and should be replaced with tolerance and restraint.
"If you dont have anything constructive to say, dont say anything at all."

All-in-all Lucifer, you make and bring up good points but you also bring up an universal issue....one that will always be an issue, for "facts", "truth", and "the know" presents itself to each and everyone of us differently...tolerance and restraint are then a necessary must.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 22-11-2003 by Seekerof]

join