It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is up with Google!?!?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Have any of you fellow Googlers ou there noticed anything strange with some google searches recently. It seems as though I am getting highjacked by some page called UmaxSearch.com !! The link is on google, but the page it clicks through turns out to be something entirely different !! It's totally random. I click back and then try the search again. The same link will not be UmaxSearch.com, but the real link. I'm not crazy! I swear I saw this. I will screen grab it when I see it again.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It sounds like your HOSTS file has been changed by a website or some malicious code.

The HOSTS file is a list of web addresses and the ip address that they point to.
By adding an entry to the hosts file you can redirect any site on that computer to anything you like.

It lives in

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and it has no extension.

Do a search on er, google, and you will probably find out loads of info. This file can be used to block popup advertising ads too. There are websites that provide this file with most popup ads pre-disabled, as it were.

Good luck.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Ok, I said I would post a screen grab. Look at this crap. I found some weird mold today and was gonna google the answer....
Lo and behold....
Typed this into Google, hit the second link..and got this..

Look at the crap they are showing as links...I don't know what happened. How do I check my hosts file?
This is what the link should go to..
www.mold.ph...

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You can open the file in notepad.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Yup, I get a stupid page that pops up everytime I search with google now too, something has hacked my google.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yeah... what's up with Google? I remember it being just a basic search engine I could use without having to deal with that weird Jeeves guy. Or that Yahoo dolphin. Now it's like I can't go through a single day with Google being in my face.

top topics

join