It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does the universe move, which would make it look like space grows?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
if the universe moves then does it grow bigger, or is it limited to a certain unknowable size.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Common belief is that the Universe is expanding (and this is supported by red shift theory, etc.). It was believed that eventually (just like stars that expand...) it will collapse back in on itself, and then repeat the process... However, lately, there have been some doubts on this...

Does it move? Hard to say, as move relative to what? That's like us trying to feel the earth rotate...

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I am pretty sure that I have heard that stars and galaxies are moving relative to each other, eg. getting farther apart.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I am sure that most galaxies are expanding, it has do with shifts. Red means moving away and it is proven that most universes are moving away.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Since we do not fully understand the concept of time or space and especially gravity then this is all guessing.

All I do know is that there are believed to be many universes and so the better question is where are they?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   
If everything was red-shifted when looking through a telescope, earth would be the center of the universe correct?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:22 PM
link   
We might never know since light is bent by space matter light doesn't leave one universe.

It is far beyond our capability to find another universe, because we don't know where our universe is?

What is our universe name?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by eagle
If everything was red-shifted when looking through a telescope, earth would be the center of the universe correct?

I don't get your question, even if you are on the edge of the universe, since we assume the universe is expanding in all sides equally you will always see red.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Sagittarius as a galaxy is being swallowed up by the Milky Way correct? This shows that galaxies do not necessarily move away from each other. Perhaps there is more to spaces "atmosphere" that we do not understand like the possibility of wind or something. Maybe this "wind" can bend photons of light out of a direct path making distances look farther.

I do not know anything about space so take this post as a "stupid guess theory," not a "stupid dumb ass trying to be smart theory."

[Edited on 17-11-2003 by insite]

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:24 PM
link   
What do universes expand into? If there is a name, cool. If there isn't a name, I want to name it! It is officially dubbed the "Philiobox"

My theory for our universe is that it is a giant black-hole like thing. A giant explosion forced it apart, leaving a black-hole like thing in the middle. The explosion slows, and everything is sucked back to this huge blackhole. Once it is condensed enough, the process starts again, the density causes a whole new explosion.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Phero,

I like your concept but that does not explain multiple black holes.

Maybe creation was based on this model which replicated itself in numerous close locations?

the only thing that could prevent the growth of the universe would be the power of darkness to reign it in.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pherophile
My theory for our universe is that it is a giant black-hole like thing. A giant explosion forced it apart, leaving a black-hole like thing in the middle. The explosion slows, and everything is sucked back to this huge blackhole. Once it is condensed enough, the process starts again, the density causes a whole new explosion.

Who came up with that?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The universe moves, relative to us at least. Since there is no known base. Or point for everything to be measured from. The only way we can look at it, is that it moves. Unless of course it is infinite and boundless. Then it would have no where to go.

[Edited on 11/17/2003 by Seapeople]

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Who came up with that?

Well I thought of it without reading something. I'd be suprised though if someone else didn't think of it before me.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Don't forget this little tidbit: A Dodecahedral Universe

A finite dodecahedral Universe
www.innovations-report.com...

Space Seen as Finite, Shaped Like a Soccer Ball
www.space.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Well I thought of it without reading something. I'd be suprised though if someone else didn't think of it before me.

I kinda of like it, just a basic way of thinking. But there are some flaws.

Who is perfect anyway?

[Edited on 17-11-2003 by surfup]

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Who came up with that?

Well yes, part of what you say is widely excepted. The part about the universe collapsing back on itself. It has to do more with gravitational forces that all objects excert on eachother, and not because there is a big black hole in the middle.

new topics

top topics

join