It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are we doing to our kids ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Today's youth have it so much easier than any other youth in any other civilization ever ! Is this a good thing or something that we should be very leery of? Being that they don't get the moral interaction with other kids playing "Freeze Tag", "I spy", or any number of other games such as "Kick the Can" !

articles.news.aol.com
ATLANTA (Dec. 14) - A mother who fought to ban Harry Potter books from her children's suburban Atlanta school district on the grounds that they promote witchcraft is considering an appeal after the Georgia Board of Education voted Thursday to keep the books on the county's library shelves.

Today's youth is going down the drain ? Going to hell in a handbasket ?? This is what I hear from all my old relatives, every time we get on the subject of Youths in my country. Is it our fault that they are going this way ?? Is it because we can't take the time to sit down and tell them look TV is not real; it is for entertainment. Just like most things in this world that we have formed around us. Is it really a kids fault that he/she can't tell the difference between witches playing games on broom sticks such as Quitage or is it our faults as elders/Mothers/Fathres in society not to let them know that these are movies made for entertainment. Just the same as the Jackass I and Jackass II Movies.

[edit on 15-12-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
She's trying to do it in Lawrenceville. What's funny is that she's banning the books from libraries so her kids can't read them. That's just like someone coming over to your house and taking books off of your shelf because they don't approve of you reading them.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Being 16 myself, and what you could consider "a kid" i would have to say that storys such as Harry Potter, do nothing but invigorate the imagination, and if your going to point a finger and call imagination bad or dangerous. Then conspiracy is crap, because conspiracy is part imagination. So then take into consideration that it is not the books we read, nor the games we play. yes they can get to realistic, such as Airsoft, a game where people shoot each other with plastic BB's with very realistic fast, strong, looking guns. Here the modern games get a little iffy, but all together children (unless studys show diffrently) are just growing up in a world that is new to everyone. You had WWI and WWII, we have Operation Iraqi Freedom and Desert Storm. You had cops and robbers, and potato cannons. Whilest we have Socom Navy SEALS and Airsoft games. And if you going to the extent of complaining about witch craft. We have harry potter, you guys had Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Good ol' Christians... they have a long history of taking Fictional books too seriously.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I don`t think it is the youth that is wrong at the moment.They have yet to make there mark.World population has increased therefore problem children have increased.Children have always rebelled.As l grow up I find myself having similar thoughts and ideas to my parents.Books were band in the 1950,1960,1970 etc etc etc.At the moment some of the kids in my family l would rather have running the world than the polticians we have at the moment.

Having said that the more kids start reading some of the things on here will make it interesting in the future.Imagine the arguments you could have with your kids concerning Indigo Children."Mum Dad you have to let me out tonight I`m gonna save the world" "I am one of the choosen ones you just don`t understand the Matrix you have to let me go".

No I`m no expert on Indigo Children I could well be wrong these are just fun un educated examples.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   
zeed85 you refer to indigo children, to help me better understand what you are saying, What are indigo children?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by boywhowaits
zeed85 you refer to indigo children, to help me better understand what you are saying, What are indigo children?

Do a search on ATS.It`s very complicated subject.Basically something to do with the end of the world and 2012.Better for you to read about them on here.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
ok so i read up on indigo children, and it seems very complicated and personally alot of BS but thats conspiracy right?

anyway, i just think that as good as we wish things could happen, they cannot. There will always be conflict. For example, we could never have peace, with out a conflict to bring this peace to happen. For example, read Tom Clancys Rainbow Six. In summary, a radical group tries to kill EVERYONE just so they can save Mother Earth and her enviroment. What i'm trying to say is that to reach peace, there would still have to be a conflict, and who would carry out such a conflict, not the peace lovers b.c that would comprimise thier beliefs.

so then who? No one would

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Here are the lyrics to "Kids" a song from the stage and movie musical "Bye Bye, Birdie."

Song: Kids Lyrics
Kids!
I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!
Kids!
Who can understand anything they say?
Kids!
They a disobedient, disrespectful oafs!
Noisy, crazy, dirty, lazy, loafers!
While we're on the subject:
Kids!
You can talk and talk till your face is blue!
Kids!
But they still just do what they want to do!
Why can't they be like we were,
Perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids today?
Kids!
I've tried to raise him the best I could
Kids! Kids!
Laughing, singing, dancing, grinning, morons!
And while we're on the subject!
Kids! They are just impossible to control!
Kids! With their awful clothes and their rock an' roll!
Why can't they dance like we did
What's wrong with Sammy Caine?
What's the matter with kids today!

www.stlyrics.com...

imdb.com...

There has never been a generation that didn't think that is was smarter than the older generation and more disciplined than the younger.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by emjoi
Good ol' Christians... they have a long history of taking Fictional books too seriously.
Bit of a generalization my friend. I'm Christian as are many of my friends and we've not only purchased those books but in some cases read them. Further I've not known any who advocated the banning of books. You are referring to a minority who happen to very vocal.

Back on topic. I firmly believe that the vast majority of todays kids are great kids. I work with at risk youth in my spare time. I'm also a Mom. Most kids if given half a chance will grow up to be productive members of society. I can't agree with comments that are kids are going to hell because frankly that just isn't true.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
While there are undoubtably bad kids out there, let us not forget that the vast majority are good kids; even most of the so called bad kids need only to have a good example placed into their lives in order to become one with the good kids.

Children, at least to my observations, tend to be herd animals. What I mean by that is what one says or does the others, wanting to fit in, do. That can, obviously, lead to otherwise good kids getting into trouble. It's not that they are truely bad people, they're just young and well, not too bright.

Generalizing, using the example of a few bad seeds, is a mistake.

Attempting to ban Harry Potter? Rampant idiocy. Nothing more, nothing less. I wonder if the woman has even read the books? I would guess not, she heard witchcraft, and freaked. Before one attempts to have a book banned, one should actually read said tome. IMNSHO.

[edit on 22-12-2006 by seagull]

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I was a kid in the 60s. My mother told me how in her day (WWII) the grownups complained how kids were going to hell in a handbasket. It's called the generation gap and has been going on since the first kids hit their teens.

Too many adults forget that special time in their lives when they realized that there was a world outside of themselves. This journey of figuing out how they fit in a world that they may not understand or even like is one that most of us have already traveled. Instead of condeming these young souls, why not reach out and help them map this journey. It's tough being a teen. Whether your world is fast paced or simple, the emotional journey is still a tough road to travel.

As far as Harry Potter goes, we had Bewitched on tv when I was growing up. Is Elizabeth Montgomery responsible for children who grew up to be practicioners of witchcraft? Parents need to understand that parenting means guiding their children into adulthood.

[edit on 12/22/2006 by darkelf]

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Seagull and darkelf thanks for voices of reason. Both of you are very correct todays kids are not any better or any worse then preceeding generations. Matter of fact I believe that today's youth tend to be far better informed then kids of my generation. I look forward to observing the accomplishments of my daughter and her generation. I expect great things from them and they have yet to disappoint me.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I think this is alittle bit of Blasphemy ... as I am a christian myself ... But I do not wanna pull that into this coversation .. That has no aspect on anything ... I had a baby sitter when I was growing up that her parents wouldn't let her go watch Pocohantaus because they thought it was witchcraft .... Personally I think if god tells you , that you shouldn't do something then by all means listen to him .. But true devout christians realize that it is a personal thing. AKA : How close to god do you want to be ??? If you are closer to him you will feels things and convictions that others may think are crazy .. But you also learn that you live your life as an example ... U don't codemn ... Noone has ever been condemned to Heaven or shanging thier lifes ... "LOVE YOU ALL MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!
"

Originally posted by emjoi

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
By the way ... Indigo Children are just misunderstood children that have special abilities such as ... being able to sense things ... They are just better intune with thier senses. My personal opionion on this is we all used to have these abilities But since we have been grouping are children together and telling them Learn this ... Let me teach you this ... When we were raising our own children did we have to teach them how to speak ??? Or how to communicate ??? Communication is something natural now we as humans have taken it and blown it way outta proportion making 100's of different languages seperating alot of what our bodies would have done naturally ...

INDIGO CHILDREN

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

ok so i read up on indigo children, and it seems very complicated and personally alot of BS but thats conspiracy right?

anyway, i just think that as good as we wish things could happen, they cannot. There will always be conflict. For example, we could never have peace, with out a conflict to bring this peace to happen. For example, read Tom Clancys Rainbow Six. In summary, a radical group tries to kill EVERYONE just so they can save Mother Earth and her enviroment. What i'm trying to say is that to reach peace, there would still have to be a conflict, and who would carry out such a conflict, not the peace lovers b.c that would comprimise thier beliefs.

I think that if thier was never any conflict to deal with then there wouldn't have to be any more conflict. But now that thier is conflict ... The person that started the conflict will always keep it going ... Refer to Cain and Abel and you can trace thier ancestery back to the very people that have been waging wars for century's ...

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I think that if thier was never any conflict to deal with then there wouldn't have to be any more conflict. But now that thier is conflict ... The person that started the conflict will always keep it going ... Refer to Cain and Abel and you can trace thier ancestery back to the very people that have been waging wars for century's ...

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
Today's youth have it so much easier than any other youth in any other civilization ever !

How? I believe it is a common misconception made by many when it comes to our youth of today.

Why do they have it so damn easy? They are not out slaving under the son like we did when we were younger? Or is it that our government's finally began to build schools in a location so that they no longer have to walk to school, uphill, both ways?

You can see what I am trying to get at. Kids today don't have it any easier than anyone did before them. Kids in the past may of had to work harder in the home than they do today, but that is only one indication. Measuring one aspect and making up your mind may lead to a flawed conclusion.

Let's look at peer pressure. Years ago, the extent was a beer and a cigarette. Now look. Alcohol, Cigarettes, Heroin, Crack, Crystal Meth, Oxy Contin, etc., etc., etc. What about sex? Sex in the past is nothing to what it is today. Sexually transmitted diseases are a pandemic with our youth, not to mention teen pregnancies. What about AIDS?

Kids today can make one mistake, and pay for it for the rest of their life.

It's not just kids that have a lot of extra problems. Parents today face a harsher reality. We live in a materialistic world that forces both parents out of the house to work. With any luck the parents are not battling a crippling addiction which would lead to an even more stressful home life for the child, but best case scenario they are a latchkey child. In the past, a child would come home from school and have his or her mother their with dinner ready.

Nowadays? A child gets home to an empty house and fends for himself. Lucky kid.

What about the pressure we put on children to succeed? Years ago a child would rarely finish school and enter the work force. Nowadays, employment may not be as widespread. Depending on your demographs, receiving employment maybe very difficult and competitive. Which spells out a college education to give yourself the upper hand. Kids are fourteen and fifteen years old, and being inundated with decisions that we tell them will dictate what they do in life.

Why do we fill them with this crap?

Yes, kids get the bus to school these days. They don't have to walk. For the most part they don't have half the chores others did in the past. And they normally own some sort of video game or other technology that our parents only dreamed of. However, this does not make life easier for them or make them lucky.

Kids have it just as bad as any other generation. And if you ask my honest opinion, kids today have it much worse.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I just want to point out what I believe to be a significant difference in the youth of the last several generations and the youth of today.

While the youth of all generations like to adopt their own looks and styles, in the recent past, generations have adopted such things as hairstyles and fashions that can be changed without too much fuss.

The generation that came of age in the fifties liked to where duck tail haircuts, flat tops and such and dress like Marlon Brando and James Dean.

My generation preferred to look like bums with dirty jeans and long hair, which is nothing to be proud of, but whether you looked like the "Fonz" in your youth, or "Freddie the Freeloader," either look was easily changed when it was time to grow up and get on with the business of life.

Now, kids are tattooing themselves, piercing virtually every body part and guaging their ears and basically looking like savages.

These affectations are not going to be easily changed and living with the indiscretions of youth is not always an easy thing.

[edit on 2006/12/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Now, kids are tattooing themselves, piercing virtually every body part and guaging their ears and basically looking like savages.

These affectations are not going to be easily changed and living with the indiscretions of youth is not always an easy thing.

that's just not true
as a "youth" of today i find that maybe out of any 10 people i know my age, 1 or 2 has a non-ear piercing, 1 may have a tatoo, and i don't think i know more than 1 person that has a gauge

also, the savages comment, that's more than a bit out of line

my main point is, poeple sensationalize the amount of youths getting tatoos and body piercings

top topics

<<   2 >>

join