It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are we doing to our kids ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Now, kids are tattooing themselves, piercing virtually every body part and guaging their ears and basically looking like savages.

There is a percentage of the population of youth that are guilty of this. However, I believe it is a very small percentage. Thing is, we can walk down the street and pass thirty completely normal youth without blinking an eye. But when we pass one youth that is covered in tattoos and piercings, we hang our heads in shame and say, "What the hell are they doing to themselves?"

Are we to believe that the 50's, 60's, or 70's did not have a percentage of youth that behaved in a manner that was different from the norm? Some will tell us that the norm today is tattoo's and piercings. But I completely disagree. Some kids today have found a way to express themselves. What may appear to be a savage to one, may be a fitting tribute to another.

My left arm is for the most part, a tattoo. Well, from the elbow up to the shoulder. If you looked quickly you may think I am another foolish youth that has made a huge mistake that I'll never begin to understand for another twenty years. However, if you take a second look, you'll see exactly what the tattoo is. It is a tribute to my step-father who had passed away a few years ago. I believe it is a beautiful work of art and I stare at it constantly. My life has changed drastically since his passing, and this tattoo keeps me in a time where life was easier. It works as a constant reminder to how short life can be and to not get wrapped up on the small things.

So if you think about it, they may not be savages at all. Maybe they just found a new way to express themselves.

chissler rubs his tattoo

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Where I live I see and know personally many people of all ages who have tattoos visible on their legs, face, neck, arms and I know and see a number of young men and women who have pierced lips, tongues, noses and whatnot, as well as ears that are gauged to one inch or larger.

These are the affectations of savage and primitive peoples, regardless of who does it. These are not the hallmarks of advanced societies, no matter whether that sets well with you, or not.

My statement is merely meant to point out a significant difference between the current crop of young people and those who have come before.

Taking a bath and getting a haircut are pretty easy to do in order to move on with one's life, leaving youthful indiscretions behind.

Tattoos and highly guaged ears are either for life or will require surgical procedures.

And that's the truth.

What if you were one of these guys and had to look like this for the rest of your life?

Fortunately for them, a trip to the barber and Walmart can make these guys look and feel a whole lot better. Except, of course, for the fact that this picture will live forever on the internet.

I don't think there is much hope for folks like this.

Fashion is something that goes in one year and out the other.
--Unknown

www.quotationspage.com...

[edit on 2007/1/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
That every generation always blames it's hardships on things that past generations have made them be ... Such as aids .. How you think that the cases got to be so bad ??? It was always around I promise it just iddn't pop up in the last 100 years ... Just in the past 100 years more cases have been available to be studied because of the more cases .... and other things that the past generations have passed down through their mistakes ... And their has always been drugs ... In the 70's COCAINE use was way more evident than it is now ... Drugs in general were more rampid .. OBVISOULY you are a young person talking about this ... Do just alittle research ... First please ...

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
OBVISOULY you are a young person talking about this

To whom is this directed?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I too am wondering the same thing Grady. My post has been withheld until we clarify who exactly needs to do their research.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I agree to some degree that every generation thinks that the kids are a bunch of punks. But what happens when the kids really are turning into a bunch of little punks, and largely based on the media which glamorises really unglamorus stuff.

I'm 27. I know I act twelve on the ATS boards, but I've got to agree that the current generation of kids are lousy. Whats with trying to stare down adults. I was at a drive through the other day and some 16-17 year old is smokeing a ciggarette and giving me the what you looking at eye, while his friend was buisy unloading the trash from his car onto the parking lot. The kid would just stop and stare at me for like 20-30 seconds at a time. Pretty damned rude, and something that would have gotten you discaplined for a while ago. Even I knew that you don't go around staring people down unless they've got a penis growing out of their forhead or something. I wanted to teach the twerp a little respect, which would have been pretty darn easy to do since I'm 5,4 and 215 lbs (most of it muscle)and can knock around grown men that are at least a foot taller than me, but realised that even if I did I would get arrested, the kid would get off without even a slap on the wrist and reinforce that he is some "bad ass" who "ownes" the neighborhood, while driving around in his mama's car.

The problem is bad parenting that tells their little darlings that they are gods gift to the world and that they are intitled to everything including really crappy behavior cause mommy will let you off the hook, and daddy just doesn't care. The second half of the problem is the police. They have a place keeping kids in their place, and they should be sending a ton of em a day to juvi, or community service, or something, and also let the adults smack around the punks a little. It's a community and we all need to do a little parenting. What ever happened to the days when the school dean or principle really was a scary guy who kept you in line.

Kids are also way to self absorbed. Again a product of our current culture and media. They need to watch BBC or the news and not neccisarilly pokemon all day. They still need to learn everything about the world in context to the world not their ego and self-desires. Which is another aspect that parents get all wrong. It's all about what tyler wants. Wrong it's about whats good for tyler.

If little tyler thinks mom is his personal servant and that society can kiss his ass then mom taught that little tyler's feeling and most absurd desires were more important than his place in society.

Also whats with pretending to be a criminal? There not, they wouldn't be able to do any of the stuff in real life that they pretend that they are. We called them posers back in my day and they were a joke then, now it's legitamised to be completly phoney, and actually expect people to pretend along with you that you are mister tuff criminal. Again a time when a swift you're not so hot get a job and develop some real personality and character smack in the face from an adult would come into play. A smack back to reality if you will.

Also, teenagers should be held accountable for thier actions not excused for them. There should be consequences for acting like a little punk, not a smile from your family and a furtive cowering public letting you get away with it all.

A cop I know tells me about how the younger generations are crying more and more (literally) when they get arrested for DUI, recless driving and other basic punk stuff. They are cring not because they feel bad about doing something wrong. They are crying cause they actually got caught and are going to pay unescapably for their misbehavior for once. Again it's more of this can't be happening to me cause I'm so special and the world owes me, and now I'm actually gunna get busted, whoa is my plight. Not damn I need to think about who I am cause I just did a real A hole move that got me in trouble.

Now keep in mind that I'm not advocating the abuse of children, but instilling a little respect for the world would be a good place to start.

Also, parents stop giving your kids money everytime they want it. Make them get a job, and kick them out of the house for petes sake once they reach at least 25. There is a whole generation of kids and young 20 somethings, that have literally never had a job in their life, have never had to work, get everything paid for by their parents incuding their rent, get $90,000 cars bought for them for their 16th birthday, think it's normal and know NOTHING about how to keep, make, spend or respect money and it's value. These kids need to go. They have NO usable skills in the job market, and WILL blow all of their parents inheritance money once they're gone in a matter of years, then they will be broke maladjusted loosers with "issues" Again not something I would want.
For once I would love to hear a parent say. oh you want than nice fancy item so that you can fit in with your "friends" fine go out get a job and save the money-if you even know how-and then see if you don't feel completely stupid when you waste all that hard earned money on something so trendy and lame.

Kids these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join