It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Controls on Publishing Research at USGS worry Top Officials

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky

Ladies and Gentlemen...thats Sardion! Sardion Folks! Lets hear it for Sardion!!!

(wild applause)

He'll be here all week folks, and don't forget our "super - all you can eat buffet"

Have a great night folks and don't forget to tip your wait staff...They're working real hard for YOU!

You post contributes NOTHING to the discussion.

Moreover it is rude and disrespectful.

Please review the Terms and Conditions of Membership, and the Great SO's thread here.

format

[edit on 21-12-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

You post contributes NOTHING to the discussion.

And neither does yours.
You could have U2U'd me.

Moreover it is rude and disrespectful.

I disagree, I think it's humorous, just as Sardions post was.

[edit on 12/21/2006 by darkbluesky]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Soficrow,

How did this post contribute to the discussion?

Originally posted by loam
Sometimes I think we deserve our decline...

How pathetic can we get?

Don't you think this was disrespectful and rude?

I guess you only call out those who have different opinions than yours.

How objective.

Best Regards,
DBS

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I also find this mildly amusing.

In a thread about the sin of "government censorship" I was just, in effect, told to be silent by one of those decrying the concept of silencing/supressing thoughts/opinions.

Now...I'm pretty sure this is on topic, and adds to the discussion.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Just to remind everyone - every scientific discipline is being extremely censored by this administration, not just the USGS.

For example:

Rewriting The Science: How the Bush Administration is Lying to You!

U.S. Still Silencing Scientists

And if what's happening in our microbial world is any indication, things are getting very bad indeed.

For example, The Perfect Microbial Storm

It's the same old strategy: Keep 'em in the dark, feed 'em horse#, and Blame the Terrorists!

Clearly - something is happening, or about to happen - the usual suspects are in high gear, trying to deflect, misdirect, fill threads with drivel, and derail productive discussion.

Wonder what's really going on, this time...

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Meh, I just /ignored him after that comment.

[edit on 21-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Let's just stick to the topic folks.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Just more anti-U.S. gov't fear mongering from the usual suspects.

From what I read from the article, there is no censorship, just a requirement to inform the communications department before a report is released so they can respond to questions about it. Sure makes sense to me!

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Soficrow,

I've visted the links you posted, and have read many of your previous exchanges with those who have similar and different viewpoints.

One common theme seems to be the demonization of the Bush Administration for it's part in all this scientific whitewashing.

My comment is this. He will only be in office for 24 more months. Surely, just eight years of muzzling US government researchers will have no real affect on the climate or ecosystem.

Furthermore there are many non-government scientific and research organizations, as well as foreign governments, around the world who are free to present thier findings and opinions as they see fit. In this age of the internet and universal access, surely important opinions will find their way to the public. Don't you agree?

Finally, I don't appreciate being accused of being a disinformation agent.

Best Regards,
DBS

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
So I've been relegated to the "Usual suspects" now? Great to hear that.

In the Corporate world the Communications Department is nothing more than the Public Relations department(ie The Propaganda department). How is this any different?

I want to know just how this project will fit in with the current "Editorial Control" scheme that edits any findings that the administration finds contrary to their stated policy?

[edit on 21-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
Soficrow,

Thanks for your thoughtful, polite post.

I've visted the links you posted, and have read many of your previous exchanges with those who have similar and different viewpoints. ...One common theme seems to be the demonization of the Bush Administration for it's part in all this scientific whitewashing.

I'm old-fashioned - and think my duty as a citizen is to pay attention to whatever administration might be in power, and to speak up about my concerns.

He will only be in office for 24 more months. Surely, just eight years of muzzling US government researchers will have no real affect on the climate or ecosystem.

The timing is critical. Many crises are coming to a head - it's Bush's bad luck he's at the helm at this time, and our misfortuune he's attempting to deal with these crises by sweeping them under the carpet. It won't work.

It's the doubling problem, best explained with the "lily pond story." ...A king gives his son, the prince, a lily pond for his birthday. The king explains that the lilies have to be cut back regularly because they double in growth every day - if they are allowed to grow and cover the whole pond, they will kill it and everything in it. "It can happen in a month," says the king. The prince is lazy, and doesn't cut back the lily pads because the pond looks okay. Even on day 29 of the 30 day month, the pond is only half covered in lily pads. The prince thinks, "Maybe I'll do a bit of cleaning tomorrow." But the next day, the pond is dead. ...The lily pads doubled from half to full overnight.

...IMO - it's 12:01 am of the 30th - and Bush hasn't called the pond cleaner yet, never mind tackled the job himself.

...there are many non-government scientific and research organizations, as well as foreign governments, around the world who are free to present thier findings and opinions as they see fit. In this age of the internet and universal access, surely important opinions will find their way to the public. Don't you agree?

The point is - US contributions to the knowledge pool could be substantial, but they are not - this administration's policies neutralize "the internet and universal access."

Why should our tax dollars pay for research that is NOT publicly accessible - and is hidden to protect patents and Intellectual Property Rights owned by international corporations?

Finally, I don't appreciate being accused of being a disinformation agent.

Aww. I never actually said that.

...Good post tho. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Seems this guy is not sold on the degree of human caused climate change.

I dug up this old thread to to see if those who were angry over government control of publications that included opinions and predictions regarding climate change are as equally disturbed by this example of government editorial control....

www.delmarvanow.com.../20070222/NEWS01/70222005/1002

top topics

<< 1   >>

join