It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Commecials: A concern

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Hey everyone, new user here just signed up after viewing the site for a few days and thought about something thats been bugging me. I find it a bit suspicious how some companies seem to be playing the audio of their commercials especially loud, to the point of actually having to turn the volume down with the remote. I imagine they pay the network extra money for the increased level of volume.

I think maybe the louder, the more annoying, you turn the tv down, and that makes you actually pay closer attenion out of annoyance and aggrivation to the garbage that particular company wants you to buy/pay attention to.

Anyone with thoughts on this subject? Anyone know the real reason for it?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Yea I see tons of commercials that do that, I know some newer TV's had options to "equalize" the audio so that commercials wouldn't be louder than the program you're watching.

Also speaking of most aggrivating commercials, my vote goes for that Head On commercial. I can't stand it

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
You know, I think they've always done that.

I have noticed that depending on the settings of my sound system, sometimes the difference is MORE noticeable. Sometimes enough to scare the crap out of me.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
most annoying for me by far is whatever insurance company tries to sell with that stupid caveman. ok, we get it, he is a caveman...anything else? this pertains to car insurance how...*sigh*

SOMEONE needs a new spokesperson

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I think the caveman commercials are hilarious.

But it is very annoying when the commercials are much louder then the show. I'd like to know why they do that. It doesn't make me pay attention more, it makes me annoyed at the company!

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
When they mix sound for broadcast (or recording) they use a process called 'compression' to make sure the sound doesn't saturate the carrier (or recording media) and cause distortion. The process reduces the difference between the softest and loudest sounds and limits them within an acceptable range. Lower frequencies have more energy and take up more of the compression envelope. What the advertisers do is equalize the sound of their commercial to a more narrow frequency spectrum (usually by rolling-off the lows and highs) giving them an apparently louder volume (even though if measured you'd see they have the same level as the rest of the programming). This causes their ads to 'jump out'. And yes, I hate it too.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Ad production techniques

Audio compression is a recording technique in which a commercial's sound track is recorded at a constant and maximum loudness level. When played within a program featuring a normal range of sounds "some loud, some soft" the contrast can be startling.

"Re-shaping the sound" is another commercial production method. Those frequencies to which the ear is most sensitive are raised in level, while frequencies that make for more pleasant listening are reduced. The resulting commercial now features a sound track that grabs your attention, but which may also sound harsh - especially when combined with the audio compression technique.

Unfortunately it's legal and extremely annoying.

edit: link fixed

[edit on 12/14/2006 by Gools]

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I am finding the problem more on my local channels than the cable ones

I find myself reaching for the remote control in between programs to mute the ads, because is truly, loud and obnoxious.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Yeah t.V ads have alway's been like that, alot louder than the actual current airing program.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think I know why. When your tv show takes a break for commercials, many people use this time to go to the bathroom or make something to eat. But this way, your still able to hear it.

top topics

join