It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Meteor Shower Wednesday Night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
A large Meteor Shower will be visible late Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. The Geminids are one of the year's best meteor showers and often produce 50 or more meteors per hour, or nearly a meteor a minute. This shower is one of the few that is as good to watch in the evening as after midnight.

www.cnn.com
The annual Geminid meteor shower is expected to produce a reliable shooting star show when it peaks on Wednesday.

The Geminid event is known for producing one or two meteors every minute during the peak for viewers with dark skies willing to brave chilly nights.

When to watch
Late Wednesday night up until early Thursday morning when the moon rises, a single observer might average as many as 60 to 120 meteors per hour.

Where to look
These medium speed meteors appear to emanate from near the bright star Castor, in the constellation of Gemini, the Twins, hence the name "Geminid."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This will br a grand time for you and the family to share in a spectacular event that should produce one or two meteors per minute. This is of course if the weather permits a viewing in your area. I personally have seen meteors even in overcast situations and they create a very weird glowing display.

Most meteor showers are caused by comets, but the Geminids, which peak on December 13th, seem to come from a curious near-Earth asteroid.

Related News Links:
www.earthsky.org
science.nasa.gov
wnbc.nbcweatherplus.com

[edit on 13-12-2006 by UM_Gazz]

MBF

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Thanks, I haven't heard that there was going to be one tonight. I enjoy watching meteor showers. Got to go have a peak now.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
almost missed this, I'm heading outside now

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
now, are the meteors big, or is the shower big?

It's clearing up! I'll be going out later to look..and again, try to take a photo.

MBF

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Dang clouds. Can't see a thing!!!

top topics

join