It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turbo Diesel acceleration question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hi guys,

I'm wondering how fast a turbo Diesel engine will accelerate? Will it be able to reach 0-100km/h (0-60mph) in under 7 seconds? How much horses would that have to have on average? I think the cheapness of Diesel compared to gasoline + an equivalent acceleration speed could be excellent.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Sub 7 seconds is possible from the larger diesels. the BMW 530d does it in 6.7ish i believe(?).

In every day use though, it'll feel more gutsy than that, since you'll have far more torque at low revs. Unless you're a real boy-racer, that low-end grunt is more useful, and satisfying... IMHO... particularly in a manual/stick-shift.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It will beat a mustang with a transmission shift adjustment. I've seen it. It doesn't add hp just changes the shift points.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Turbo diesel's are pretty nifty cars. I have had 2 (peugot and VW) and they dont hang around. Exactly how much RPM/torque/HP I couldnt tell you as I am not into that stuff even though I am a Diesel mechanic, on trains though, but what I can tell you is that a diesel engine is far more economic than petrol, Clarkson once drove a Audi diesel from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank of diesel! Very slowly though. That would be impossible with a gas car.

Also diesels are much more reliable and can hold out to more extremes than gas. And with todays more sound-proof diesel cars, if I lived in the UK I for sure would be driving one. Put simply diesel is better than gas, but only if it is a turbo and a 2 litre minimum for sure.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
profile.myspace.com...

Check out his videos... He'll race anybody. He'll race a trailered dragster and beat it... All with a 8,000 lb truck that he drove to the track in.

I have the same year and model, and while not as fast as Danny's, you'd better be paying attention... More than one SoCal speedbump (Vette, Porsche, et al) has ended up in my black cloud.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto
Turbo diesel's are pretty nifty cars. I have had 2 (peugot and VW) and they dont hang around.

Agreed.. I had a little Peugeot 205 deisel.. went like shomthing off a shovel, and the best fun car I've driven (and I've driven some NICE cars)..... actually it wasn't a turbo, which surprise the police officers who'd just pulled me doing 115mph down the M1 a couple of years back

Thankfully I got off with 3 points and a 60 quid fine.. should have be an instant ban and a court appearance but they actually said they were impressed with my driving (!!) and had assumed I was a copper myself! I have that "look" too..

top topics

join