It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who says that there isn't life on other planets without water?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I was just thinking, is it proven that there are no other living things that can live without water?

What if there are other living things that can live without water

I just dont understand why the everyone is looking for specifically water

Can anyone please explain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fixed grammar in title

[edit on 13/12/06 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Its because everyone who studies it is from earth and for like to evolve life needs water or something like that.
im with you. if you haven't been to other planets that are very different then ours, maybe having two suns and the gravity pulling on the planet formed it in such a way that life their doesn't need water and made other elements unique to the way that planet was formed.

until we explore the cosmos and have observed and taken samples from 1000's of planets i believe no one has the rite to say h20 -> possible life

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I am pretty sure its just a chemicle reaction, water sustains and creates life, does fire do that? does heat do that? well maybe heat does but its all about everything being perfect, you need balances of everything, if suddenly all natural heat for us weant away, millions would die, if all water went away, we couldnt survive, I do not believe there are species that can live without water, some dont need as much as others, but every living creature is designed to have water keep them alive.

So I ask you, whats the alternative to water? what else can create and sustain life?

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
What if they just dont need water? I hate how humans are only interested in studying the life of other humans

which is typical selfishness of the humans

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well humans actualy study all kinds of life, unless I misunderstood you, and so far all kinds of life has been proven to need water to survive, unless I missed the memo.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Yes everything on earth needs water

But what if there is life on a planet with no water and life? It just annoys me with all this hype of oh wow there might of been water on mars... who cares? I really dont care if there were humans or can be humans on mars, i'm more interested in other life i dont understand why our technology goes into finding more humans when we can easily study humans here on earth... i think we should be going out and looking for other life forms---not more humans

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I was under the impression that we are just looking for other life, I dont think its even plausable (sp?) to even begin to think about finding other humans, I think its more sane to just look for any sign of life, humans cant survive in the climats that you say we are searching for them in.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Yea they are looking for signs of human life, whats the point? They're looking for signs of life on other planets and yet the bottom of our own ocean is still unknown about. Why dont they look for signs of living life, instead of past life?

I just think some priorities are messed up

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
are you sure they arent looking for signs of humanoide (sp?) life, and I do beleive that many people are researching the ocean, all the time.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
doesnt really seem like it to me atleast, although i could be wrong

I just dont understand why a planet that cant sustain human life is automatically checked off like pluto, humans cant live there its too cold!

So lets send another 500 million dollar satellite into space to find some more mini grand canyons on mars??

i dont know, im just confusing myself i guess

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
our planet formed around our sun, Unique reactions took place to form life on our planet. unique things happened over time for life to form on earth. correct?

what if on a far a way planet while planets are being formed other elements that we don't have formed and are stable on that planet. maybe having 3 suns acting upon one planet shooting unique rays and forces that we don't understand. maybe these elements just Can't be formed on earth because of how it was made and is sustained.

maybe the way a solar system is created correlates to probabilities of life forming on planets in that system.

life out there most definitely. with or with out water, probably.

IMO.

Science explains a lot of things. but it doesn't explain everything.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
i still wish we were spending billions on exploring our own waters, who knows whats down there. how much of the oceans are not explored?

[edit on 12-12-2006 by thedangler]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well its not about Pluto being to cold, its about Pluto being too far away from the sun to get enought heat to sustain life, so its pointless to search there, but Mars on the other hand has a slight chance that there could be signs of life, at this point its basicaly the only other planet we can research, plus mars is interesting.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I would guess that we are searching for signs of life based on H2o because thats what we know about. Would we know something about an organism that lived off of ammonia or hydrocloric acid? Its not something we would have encountered here. I mean I am sure you are right about there being other life forms possibly living differently from us but right now remotely exploring its kind of hard for us to tell. Maybe when/if we ever get out there with boots on the ground in diffrent atmospheres we can actually look/touch/feel.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I would say the the odds stand in favor of water based life.

It's the Universal Solvent. An important fact if you need to move other substances around.
It's made of common elements. So it deosn't take a complex series of reactions to create it.

And it doesn't conduct electricity UNLESS you want it to.
By dissolving other chemicals, which is easy, because it's the universal solvent!

Check out this information on the properties of H2O

I think we are looking for the most LIKELY type of life. Water Based.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
there was a possibilty rasied by afew scientists in the 1970s I think of life existing on the giant gas planets.Many theorists thought up the idea of giant whale like creatures floating in the gas air of either/both jupiter and neptune midway between the core and the cloud tops (which was thought to be temperate because of a hot core and a cold climate and middle to be acceptable).These creatures would rely on the gas of these planets similar to marine and other animals needing water on earth.

It was a good thing you brought this topic up.I believe many scientist tend not to think outside the square despite their PHD`s.(we are all not perfect).

[edit on 13-12-2006 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Hi guys, this is a tough one.

I believe there are many forms of 'life' that are not carbon based / organic, though I have no proof or scientific evidence to back my claim up - I think its arrogant to think we are the only lifeform in 'existance' - plain and simple.

that said, if we set out to look for other lifeforms - what do we set out to look for???

Given we know 3 tenths of ef all about the universe and the endless possibilities of life, chances are that out there, there are lifeforms that are made of materials that we are yet to discover let alone understand.

So to keep along the 'learn to walk before run' ideal, I think its fair to search for organisms we know or at least familiar with.

One constant is water - lets refine our search capabilites before blindly poking sticks into the infinite.

just a thought.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Yeah this is something that's been on my mind before and no one can ever explain to me why planets specifically need water for any kind of life. I normally just get told to shut up lol typical.

But I don't see why there couldn't be life based on something else, maybe an element that isn't formed here on earth. Or even one that is? Surely the life would have based itself on the element and evolved itself to make best use of it?

jra

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
Yea they are looking for signs of human life, whats the point?

By 'they' I assume you mean NASA and other space agencies. They are not looking for human life, just life in general. Be it microbes or small primitive animals etc.

The reason why we look for signs of water, is that we know that it can allow living creatures to grow and survive. Does this mean that water is the only means for life? No, but we know it's one, thus we look for it. It's no more complicated then that.

They're looking for signs of life on other planets and yet the bottom of our own ocean is still unknown about. Why dont they look for signs of living life, instead of past life?

I just think some priorities are messed up

What good would NASA (a space agency) serve for underwater exploration? And last I checked, the oceans are still being explored. You can do both at the same time you know.

And who's to say that some of the Planets and Moons in our solar system don't currently have some form of life on them? (thus our reason for looking to find out).

EDIT:

Alternatives to Carbon and water based life are listed here en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 13-12-2006 by jra]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Good points and good link there jra

top topics

<<   2 >>

join