It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domains by Proxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I was researching a domain and ran across the fact that it is hidden by a service called DomainByProxy. It hides the real owner a the domain. I understand the principle the prevent spam, etc idea they push.

The site I was investigating was basically setup to try to stop people from using a vendor. It lists two people who say they were treated rudely by the vendor.
The site has a disclaimer stating their right to free speech.

I seems to me that hiding their indentity while try to build negative feelings toward someone else is a bit hypocritical. I suspect that the person building the site is not one of the persons in the testimonials. He/she is proxying others in an attempt to garner support against the vendor.

Someone wants a fight as long as he/she does not have to really be in it.

I am wondering if this practice is a growing trend or just an isolated case.
Has anyone else seen similar situations.

apc

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Using anonymizing services for domain registration is fairly common. What you describe though sounds like someone making libel statements and is using the service to avoid action. Normally when someone wishes to spread a negative image about a commercial entity, and the image is true, they don't try to hide their identity. Fear of retaliation is pointless because any retaliation against a legit claim is illegal and would only support the initial statement.

>
Of course there could be special circumstances... like making claims against an employer, personal associate, etc. Or the author just isn't very clever.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by apc]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Anyone who makes a complaint, but its utterly anonymous, can't be taken too seriously. No one should put much stock into an anonymous complaint, certainly not on an issue such as service from a vendor.

Heck, it could simply be a competeing vendor engaging in a smear campaign. That possibility might permit you to take legal action (if you are looking at it from that angle) to get the names released. There is a right to free speech, but not anonymous speech like that.

join