It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concept Cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Just my opinion but wouldn't it be nice to be-able to get them?
Out of all the makes and models from the manufactur (sp)
I usualy like the concept best.
Yet one concept thats not really a concept and not really well know
(that I've seen) it the tesla
WOW www.teslamotors.com...
wish I had the cash to get it.
mind you I usualy don't speek car unless its about a
1969 caddy sup limited ed. hearse (my fav of all time)

::Edit:: I mean just from this pict on this car
www.motortrend.com...
WOW I wanna drive it and play with it::

I want a car like the Jetsons, I was shown that as a child and I want it now!
I seen a movie called 5th element first thing watching it was jetsons! gimmie the car.

When i find the other links i'll post em ::Edit::

[edit on 12/12/2006 by EvilBat]

[edit on 12/12/2006 by EvilBat]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Wow! That Bugatti is something else.

What's the sticker price? One million?

My 2003 Honda Accord is the perfect car for me.

Fun, roomy, economical, and plenty fast at 0-60 in 7.95 seconds and a top speed of 128, regardless of what the book says. Yes, I've driven it that fast.

Anymore power than that and no one would sell me insurance.

[edit on 2006/12/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Damn that is a nice looking car.

Though I'll probably be able to afford the Tesla Roadster much sooner heh.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I would also like one one these ,
english.people.com.cn...
I can picture doing my 100mile round trip to work in that

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well, now that we have a forum on EVs, lets talk practicality.

I know that in time the infrastructure will improve, but there isn't a lot out there for keeping these things moving in the long haul, so to speak.

From the Tesla site:

How far can the Tesla Roadster drive between charges?

Range depends on driving style and conditions. On the EPA highway driving cycle we expect 250 miles on a charge.

www.teslamotors.com...

Okay. That's not bad. My Accord will go more than twice that on a tank of gas on a road trip, but fill ups are more likely to take place about every 350 miles and gas stations are generally easily found within that range and I do have another 200 miles or so of gas before the thing stops and it usually takes no more than 10 minutes to get the thing gassed up, hit the restrooms and grab a drink and a bite to eat.

Now, if you want to take the Tesla on a road trip of, say 1000 miles round trip, you need to charge the thing at least four times, because you don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery.

How long does it take to recharge?

That depends on how far the battery has been discharged and what source is being used to charge the batteries. A full charge using the home system can be achieved in as little as 3.5 hours.

However, an electric car is a bit like a cell phone: it does not matter how long it takes to charge as long as a charge lasts all day. You plug it in when you get home, and unplug it when you leave in the morning. This is why the 250-mile range of the Tesla Roadster revolutionizes EVs: you just don't need to think about charging up at Costco, Fry's, or at work.

www.teslamotors.com...

Now, if I'm planning this trip, I want to know how to plan the logistics and this answer is not very helpful.

Where do I charge up the car and how long will it take are very important questions.

Will I need to get a motel room every 250 miles and run an extension cord to the car? When one becomes available, that is. Will 110v do it, or does it take 220 or maybe 440?

How long is the charge cable?

The standard EVSE cable will be 12 ft. An optional 20 ft cable will also be available. The NEC (National Electrical Code) limits the length to 25 ft. The main mobile charge cable will be 18 ft with the adapter cable being an additional 2 ft.

www.teslamotors.com...

What will I do for 3.5 hours, while the thing charges? Not every gas station has a reptile zoo, you know.

It seems to me that as much fun as the Tesla might be to drive, it doesn't rate very high on the practicality scale, because not only is it very small, but you cannot stray very far from home, unless you have a lot of friends and family evenly spaced around the country who are willing to let you charge up your car at a moment's notice.

That tactic might work for a while, but the novelty is sure to wear off quickly.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I see the Tesla Roadster as a second "city only" car, which quite a few people actually do these days. They got their SUV for hauling the groceries and kids around town and a nice hip two door for going back and forth between work.

The Range issue is a problem I acknowledge though according to some people "In the loop," that I talk to regularly, we will be seeing dramatic increases in that area very soon though because of those pesky laws of physics, anything above a 3 fold increase is extremely unlikely, even bordering on the impossible.

The Longevity of the batteries themselves is another matter however. Some Physists even go so far as to say that a battery with an unlimited number of charge cycles may be possible, even likely to come down the line very soon. Seems that the military is all over this for use in DEWs so information has about this has been few and far between.

Reactivity of batteries is a concern as well(especially with Lithium) and frankly the only way to eliminate that risk is to completely get rid of any reactive elements period. Silver Zinc is looking like a good replacement and they are superior to LiIon as well.

Charge time is probably one of the simpler problems of EV's. Increase the surface area of the conductive charging elements by 1000 %. It will require some major Nano-scale engineering limbo stylz, but it's definitely possible.

So basically for long distance, once in a while roadtrips, Keep the Gas Guzzler. You'll need it.

For eco conscious city driving I'd go with the Roadster.

The early adopters are the ones paving the way for a mass consumer version. I personally cannot wait.

BTW, the 2006 model has been sold out(I think it sold out in a month). The demand for early adoption is there.

Here is a semi-related thread comparing a Hydrogen Economy with an Electron Economy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I see the Tesla Roadster as a second "city only" car, which quite a few people actually do these days. They got their SUV for hauling the groceries and kids around town and a nice hip two door for going back and forth between work.

Tesla: base price: $92,000

www.teslamotors.com...

You have considerably more discretionary income that I, and most of the public, do, apparently.

Considering that you can have any one of these for considerably less in one configuration or another, the car seems more practical only for the Jay Leno types, although, I doubt Leno will be interested.

2006 Audi TT $33,990 - $46,539
2006 BMW Z4 $35,600 - $42,100
2006 BMW Z4 M $49,300 - $51,300
2006 Chevrolet Corvette $43,690 - $64,890
2007 Chevrolet Corvette $44,170 - $72,660
2007 Ford Shelby GT500 $40,930 - $45,755
2007 Honda S2000 $34,250
2006 Lotus Elise $42,990
2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED6 $27,995 - $29,925
2007 Mazda MAZDASPEED6 $27,995 - $29,925
2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata $20,435 - $26,700
2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata $20,435 - $26,360
2006 Mazda RX-8 $26,435
2007 Mazda RX-8 $26,435 - $31,070
2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK $42,900 - $61,500
2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK $43,350 - $62,500
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer $14,599 - $35,189
2006 Nissan 350Z $27,650 - $40,000
2007 Pontiac Solstice $21,515 - $26,515
2006 Porsche Boxster $45,000 - $54,700
2007 Porsche Boxster $45,600 - $55,500
2006 Porsche Cayman $58,900
2007 Saturn Sky $24,725 - $28,425

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I know people who lease more expensive cars then that on much crappier salaries then what I'll have in a few years. (I don't have ANY discretionary Income right now, I'm still a poor student). It's probably moot in any case as they plan on coming out with a Four Door coup for the 2008 model(at less than half the price) and by then I'll have probably scaled back my "plan"('tis more a dream then anything right now). If you haven't noticed yet I'm not one to set my plans/opinions in stone so if something "better" comes out between now and then, I'll probably go with that.

Also you have to consider that this car is competing in the 0-60 in 4 seconds class of car. How many of those you listed can say they can do that?

LA Times Video/Text Review

[edit on 12-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well, if nothing else, they have the automotive world's attention and nothing does that better than a sexy convertible two-seater with a trunk roomy enough to accommodate a set of professional-grade knitting needles and really quick quarter-mile time.

new topics

top topics

join