It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirates crack Vista Activation Server

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Pirates have released another ingenious workaround to Vista's copy protection: a hacked copy of Microsoft's yet-to-be-released volume licencing activation server, running in VMware.

it’s an activation workaround. Admittedly a very clever one, and one that Microsoft will have a lot more trouble stamping out, but the fact that it’s taken the acquisition of a KMS server shows that Vista activation is still holding strong in its own right.

Source:
apcmag.com...

Wonder if dropping the price a bit will solve things?

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
That's a very serious issue that Microsoft needs to tend to!

For me personally, untill now I've seen no need for Vista. XP is still working fine for me and doing what it has to do.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I agree, they will have a hard time convincing users to switch to Vista specially if the upgrade costs a bundle of $$

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
So? The activation scheme of every piece of popular software is always cracked. The time to the crack is solely Dependant on how popular the software is. there is no way for Microsoft to solve this "problem". It's not even a problem, it's a fact of life. The more complicated the locking mechanism is, the more vulnerable it becomes.

I agree, they will have a hard time convincing users to switch to Vista specially if the upgrade costs a bundle of $$

Their hook is DirectX 10. That's it.

[edit on 8-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
That's a very serious issue that Microsoft needs to tend to!

For me personally, untill now I've seen no need for Vista. XP is still working fine for me and doing what it has to do.

Likewise....XP is fine by me.

Remember the old adage that goes something like this:

Be not the first to adopt the new, nor the last to abandon the old.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
So? The activation scheme of every piece of popular software is always cracked. The time to the crack is solely Dependant on how popular the software is. there is no way for Microsoft to solve this "problem". It's not even a problem, it's a fact of life. The more complicated the locking mechanism is, the more vulnerable it becomes.

someone who did a fine job at almost stopping piracy was D1rectTV with its satellite card.

[edit on 12/8/2006 by a1ex]

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Tbh this wont affect a lot of people as most don't intend to migrate to vista in the first place, there was a recent poll on the bbc website where Iirc over two thirds of the people asked stated that they wouldn't be moving to vista, personally when i eventually have another new rig built ( wont be for some time as i've just had a X6800 core2duo one built
) i will make the jump to linux, any windows software i need to run will more than likely run under wine or similar emulation aplications.

apc

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Migration will be forced by other software and hardware requirements. Everything involved with the MS world is evolving to have an anti-piracy foundation. This now includes Intel and AMD. Want to use that new motherboard? Well, you're going to need Vista. Want to read that document? Well, you're going to need the latest MSOffice. Want the latest MSOffice? Well, you're going to need Vista.

Because of the overwhelming size of the MS userbase, it will be very difficult to establish a resistance while maintaining usability of the newer systems.

And I literally laughed out loud when I read that VMWare was used to clone the activation server. That is awesome!

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
All we need is Apple joining full force with the Linux community
Apple provides the Hardware/Architecture (body)....you pay $$
Linux Provides The 'Soul' (O/S) for free...0$

Apple + Linux = half the cost 1/2$

User (you) will be the Spirit! (free will) again no $$
(unless you live in Canada the country that some how has found no way to tax God.....yet)

.....B1ll g@tes will reconsider re-pricing his software!

Drunk talk...but makes sense some how!

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I run nothing but Ubuntu on my personal machine, I've never had a problem with it, and I can't see ever having one either.

As for my hardware, now theres my problem... damn power supply is horribly faulty. But what do you expect when you build your entire computer on $40?

I never do run out of games. Sure, not ALL of the popular games out there can be played, but I've got alot of games that Microsoft machines cant have too.

The security on linux is phenominal... the stability outdoes any OS I've seen, and you want to talk functionality?... I can edit files from ANY office program, and it's all native to the operating system.

Plus, you can code your own changes if you see something you want changed... though, I have yet to come across anything I want done differently.

apc

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I don't see Apple getting too cozy with Linux any time soon. They've already built OSX around knowledge gleaned from FreeBSD. I expect it to continue to evolve on its own. Problem is if more and more Intel creeps onto Apple boards... could cause some problems later on.

As far as PCs, we'll probably start to see two distinct paths of hardware development form. The dominant being MS compliant. The other being suitable for the *nix world.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
though, I have yet to come across anything I want done differently.

your kidding me right? You linux users amaze me! How the hell do you expect linux to be a windows replacement,when it has the farse that is "INSTALLING SOFTWARE"!! Talk about a merry go round..."software x can't install because of dependances on software y.........only you cant install software y because it needs software z................................................................"

Untill the linux comunity wake up and smell the coffee,there OS is just gunna be a geek toy all it's life!

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Ahhhhhh XP, Apple and Linux users!!! Ahhhhhh, Vista is the way to go people!!! The performance is outstanding and XP is very out of date and is not better to stay with it!!

7A

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
My computer is Vista ready(supposedly), but I'm not going to make the switch until it becomes absolutely necessary. (I.e., the only Windows apps coming out are for Vista, and XP is obsolete)

Unless of course, I switch out of the Micro$oft loop altogether, and go to Mac or even Linux.

I would like to go with Linux, but so many different variations leaves me confused.

But then again, I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, either. I'll figure something out.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I have a free upgrade option from XP media to Vista...still undecided as to making the switch. I run LINUX on a second machine just to get the feel for it and test out different Open Source programs. I am thinking I'll make the switch to LINUX permanent fairly soon. Keep meaning to do it now...but still wary.

There will always be hacks and cracks to software. Some security features are better than others, some all you have to do is re-write a couple of lines.

I've checked into Vista and you know after awhile they all start to look alike.

LINUX isn't user friendly yet but it is a priority and you can't beat free for an OS that has function and form.

apc

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Indeed... function... and form.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Isn't Vista not even available yet for home PCs? And they've already cracked a major aspect of it?

apc

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Taking that into account, it's even more hilarious that MS decided to make volume license activation mandatory just one month ago, prompting this workaround. One month to acquire and reverse engineer the KMS software.

[edit on 10-12-2006 by apc]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
i've been running vista for a year now with the various beta builds and now the RTM!

I can't believe how old xp feels now when i use it at work, having said that,80% of the new code in vista is the kernal,so the actual user experience, while defiantly an improvement, isn’t the big change that win 98 To xp was.

I think micro$ofts biggest problems are caused by over pricing there software!
If Apple can sell OSX for £100, then why can’t micro$oft hit this price point?

Wouldn’t it be fascinating if apple decided to open up OSX and allow OEM’s to offer it as an option on new pc’s.?
“............ding ding .. round 1...................”fight”..........”

[edit on 10/12/06 by Barn]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
Ahhhhhh XP, Apple and Linux users!!! Ahhhhhh, Vista is the way to go people!!! The performance is outstanding and XP is very out of date and is not better to stay with it!!

7A

Well, seeing as how no Direct X 10 drivers / apps are public, gaming will be 40% SLOWER on Vista. You'll have less memory for your applications, your power bill will go up, and note books will run out faster.

Eh? The only reason I don't change from XP is that it currently is the FASTEST way to run ALL applications I NEED. I am only getting Vista when Direct X 10 is out and fully ESTABLISHED. 2008 will be this time.

Running XP on a Mac is.... Bad. You get less performance when doing that as well as getting less hardware options. If you want a Mac, get one. If you need Direct X support with high performance, get Windows.

Oh by the way guys, for the record, a properly set up Windows XP rig will be pretty much 100% secure. I've run my rig for 1, 1/2 years without a single virus. Heh... Don't even have a virus scan.

[edit on 10-12-2006 by PisTonZOR]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join