It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia wants in on NASA's Moon Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
www.space.com...

MOSCOW (AP) — Rivals for lunar conquest four decades ago, Russia hopes to join the U.S. moon exploration program with technology and know-how, a Russian space agency spokesman said Thursday.

Russia was conducting talks with NASA and voiced hope that a deal could be reached within months, said the spokesman, Igor Panarin.

“We want the agreement to reflect Russia's status as a great space power,'' he told The Associated Press, adding that Russia plans to contribute technology rather than money to NASA's project.

I hope this is true because if it is, it could speed up the program extensively.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
O and what will russia provide us with? Duct tape? On a serious note it is good to see countries working together on space programs. I still dont see why corporations haven't got into the space race yet.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
You're right, they wouldn't be able to provide that much Hi technology(at least to the level of the ESA, JAXA and NASA Hi-tech), but they can provide raw knowledge which combined with NASA's technology could make a very good match.

It would be very funny if the next space race turned out into a Three horse match that goes something like this: Russia/USA vs. ESA/China vs. JAXA/India/Brazil/Isreal(let's face it, they are gonna need all the help they can get if they want to even have a chance
)

A good blend of Cooperation and Competition can do wonders to re-invigorate this sorely neglected area of exploration.

I still dont see why corporations haven't got into the space race yet.

They need to have a profit motive to do such a thing, which is why a new Moon mission(with permanent settlement as the primary goal) is so vital. If we can figure out how to mine, refine and manufacture stuff on the Moon and Mars, then there's the profit motive for you!

[edit on 8-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I believe any joint venture is a good one - it displays trust and the sharing of a common goal.
Regardless of motive, this should have flow on effect on earth.
I think these agencis need better publicity and align their vision with joe public better.
There is still an air of space is for the elite - the scientist, the astronaut - the rich!!!

Unity is the only way forward - human space exploration - one race.

d1k

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Agreed, their knowledge is the best asset they can bring to the table. I really hope the US does not turn them down.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Errr.... for those slagging the Russians as being unable to help financially, you might want to check out the growth rates of the Russian economy.

They've a load of gas and oil, and are starting to see some serious profits from it.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The Russians are in the Space Sector to Make Money, not spend it. Anyway, they cannot compete with the US on a Dollar to Dollar basis anyway so why even try? Just offer your knowledge and it won't have to cost them a dime. I'm not saying they couldn't, as I'm sure they could easily cover 1/3rd the cost of a Moon Base. All I'm saying is they won't, simple as that. They also have other funding priorities like making sure all those Hairtrigger nukes don't accidentally get launched or whether their rank and file are getting enough money for food, etc.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The whole russia vs. U.S. is a hoax.
Of course they share resources for such projects as moon bases.

The only difference in the U.S. and Russia is the mentality of people not in power of position. The leaders hang together.

So again, in short, no surprise. (though it is getting old this concept of duality...russia wants to be seen, the U.S. is the galatic power, etc. Time for people just to be straight up, but governments like their silly games.
)

Peace

Dalen

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
The Russians are in the Space Sector to Make Money, not spend it. Anyway, they cannot compete with the US on a Dollar to Dollar basis

The rate that the dollar is sliding, not sure anyone would want to "compete" with the dollar.

Take a look at the pound and the euro. The dollar is looking like the "peso" to the Brits.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Russia's know-how would definitely help with this. I can't see NASA doing it alone without major hickups. If they joined up it would be pretty cool

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen

The Russians are in the Space Sector to Make Money, not spend it. Anyway, they cannot compete with the US on a Dollar to Dollar basis

The rate that the dollar is sliding, not sure anyone would want to "compete" with the dollar.

Take a look at the pound and the euro. The dollar is looking like the "peso" to the Brits.

Peace

Dalen

US's GDP is still the highest on the planet, you cannot dispute that. Russia CANNOT compete on a dollar to dollar basis when it comes to spending PERIOD.

You taking this thread OFFTOPIC. We aren't taking about US vs Russia or Economics. We are talking about "Russia wants in on NASA Moon Program"

[edit on 12-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000You taking this thread OFFTOPIC. We aren't taking about US vs Russia or Economics. We are talking about "Russia wants in on NASA Moon Program"

[edit on 12-12-2006 by sardion2000]

Only commenting on YOUR comment.

Dont take it so seriously...life is good, and about Russia wanting in...they are in.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   

This is what I said. In the Space Sector, they CANNOT compete with the US which is why they want to Join them. I said nothing that was untrue.

they are in.

Got a link? I have heard neither yay or nay on the subject from NASA as of yet. The ball is in their court, I hope they don't mess it up.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   

This is what I said. In the Space Sector, they CANNOT compete with the US which is why they want to Join them. I said nothing that was untrue.

They don't need to compete on a dollar to dollar basis to compete technically. Do you think the CCCP competed with NASA on a dollar-to-dollar basis?

How much do you think an engineer's wage is in Russia compared to America?

Anyway, I think the various space organisations around the world are starting to get wise to the fact its better for everyone if humanity works together and not dilute the effort by going seperate.

[edit on 12/12/06 by kilcoo316]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   
How much money, technology, and intellectual support did the Russians give to the ISS compared to NASA again? I seem to remember that they are also dragging their heels on the final 3 additions to that project(their final 3 additions not OVERALL).

I don't think we should rely on the Russians for that sort of support. I would rather have them just lend NASA their Engineers, Scientists and Cosmonaughts for the mission.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I'm a bit confused, in light of all the evidence against NASA having gone to the moon the last 6 times what makes you think this time its for real? Has there been some new advance in technology I'm not aware of that's gonna get us through the VanHalenBelt? Last time i heard everyone but America said it was an impenetrable wall which no living thing could survive.
I don't know for sure if its possible or not but NASA seems to be investing a hell of a lot of time and money with projects like ANTS and LARA if we are intending to send people there.
I cant help wondering why were building an international space center if the moons a viable option. It would be much quicker , safer and easy-er to build on the moon in the first place why go to all the trouble of trying to put put one together in orbit?
When i heard nasa say they were going back to the moon i thought they must be bluffing. I can imagine the pressure is on for them to do it with people starting to pay Privately to get closer and closer to real space must be getting greater. If the conspiracy theories are right i cant help wondering how many people would have to die this time to scare the rest of us away. The international space center is starting to look like one big floating 911 to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:24 AM
link   

How much money, technology, and intellectual support did the Russians give to the ISS compared to NASA again? I seem to remember that they are also dragging their heels on the final 3 additions to that project(their final 3 additions not OVERALL).

I don't think we should rely on the Russians for that sort of support. I would rather have them just lend NASA their Engineers, Scientists and Cosmonaughts for the mission.

Maybe its a bit too complicated for you - so I'll try again, slowly.

Look at the growth of the Russian economy - does the Russia of today compare with the Russia of 10 years ago, heck even 5 years ago?

With continued growth, how will the Russia of 10 years time compare to the USA?

Its kinda ironic you mention the ISS - as the main delay would be the Shuttle being grounded.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
I'm a bit confused, in light of all the evidence against NASA having gone to the moon the last 6 times what makes you think this time its for real?

Aww no, not another of these

If the USA had not gone to the moon - do you really think the Soviets would have publically commended them for it? Or do you think they would have come out and proved the hoax - thereby ridiculing the American government of the time?

Some conspiracies are total BS - this is one of them.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Ehmm? Russia has some great people within their space agency, i think they are past duct tape rocket science.

Looking at Stephen Hawkins comments recently you would think any hope of 'colonizing' other planets would take 300 years. If space programs from all around the world actually worked together for a change (provided their was political friendship) then we might start hearing about something amazing each week, not every 2 years.

Good idea

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The US should keep the moon to itself. The US seems to be the one footing the bill on the ISS. If anything, give the russians the ISS, and stick to the moon base, its far more important.

Russia has some great people within their space agency, i think they are past duct tape rocket science

THen let them quit and apply for a job at nasa to work on the moon base. Better for them than staying in russia and having to pay to use their one launch site no?

[edit on 15-12-2006 by Nygdan]

top topics

join