It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duality and freemasonry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I would like some feedback about whether or not the concept of duality exists within freemasonry. When you examine the following pictures you can see the dualistic nature in them. One points up the other of like kind points down.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Thats interesting INWT I have never noticed the triangle pointing downward in the second double headed eagle. I always thought one looking to the left and one to the right meant duality in some sort of way.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Freemasonry makes no comment on duality one way or the other. It refers the freemason back to his chosen religion for such matters. So a freemasons view of duality will vary depending on his personal beliefs.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burnt Offering
Thats interesting INWT I have never noticed the triangle pointing downward in the second double headed eagle. I always thought one looking to the left and one to the right meant duality in some sort of way.

I just noticed it as well.

If masonry claims to altruistic, compassonate and orderly then it is possible that masonry is also capable of the opposite which is cold-heartedness, ill-will, malevolence and dis-order.

[edit on 3-12-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Actually I thought when it came to duality the force considered "evil" is not inherently a bad thing, just holds the potential to be used in a bad way. Duality is necessary in the materialistic realm to activate and animate matter.

So in holding duality as a reality it doesn't have to be for ill will.

IMO

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Actually I thought when it came to duality the force considered "evil" is not inherently a bad thing, just holds the potential to be used in a bad way. Duality is necessary in the materialistic realm to activate and animate matter.

So in holding duality as a reality it doesn't have to be for ill will.

THe nice thing about duality is you're always right.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
It would depend upon what you mean by "duality".

[edit on 4-12-2006 by Masonic Light]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Well Duelism does appear to have several different meanings, but it generally means that there are two of something that in some way relate to the other. (i.e Good/Bad, Yin/Yang, Player/Spectator)

In philosophy of science, dualism often refers to the dichotomy between the "subject" (the observer) and the "object" (the observed).

en.wikipedia.org...

Duelism could also be a form of schziophrenia or the competing thoughts within your own brain, wrestling for control. Interestingly enough there is a small gland of unknown function located between the two spheres of the brain.

Pineal Gland - A small, reddish gray, vascular, conical body of rudimentary glandular structure found in the brain and having no known function.

jubal.westnet.com...

[edit on 15-12-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Well Duelism does appear to have several different meanings, but it generally means that there are two of something that in some way relate to the other. (i.e Good/Bad, Yin/Yang, Player/Spectator)

That would mean that someone at the very tip top of the pyramid would have to be good and evil wouldn't it? Is that possible?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

INWT, I think you may have touched upon a very important topic concerning Masonry here, and spirituality in general.

In Pike's "Morals and Dogma", in the lecture of the 32nd degree "Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret" (and the degree ritual itself), we are informed that the Royal Secret is Equilibrium, of which the Double Headed Eagle is the symbol in Masonry. This same doctrine is symbolized by the Yin/Yang in Taoism.

Consider that, for an electricity to be produced, a positive current must unite with a negative one. In like manner, for a new life to be produced, two opposites (male and female) must unite.

Thus, in these cases, it isn't really "good and evil" in the normal sense of the word that we're talking about (the philosophical problem of the existence of evil is tackled in the 18�, but the equilibrium of forces is a mystery of the 32�).

Pike contends that the Royal Secret, Equilibrium, concerns the balancing of the spiritual with the material in Man. Therefore, while man is a material being, he is also a spiritual one, and these two parts of his being must be brought into equilibrium in order for him to attain any real enlightenment or happiness. This is the great teaching of the 32�, and is exemplified in a beautiful and dramatic form in the ceremonies of that degree.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
So would it be safe to say that duality or the mastering of such would be the foundation of triangularity? The third after and combining of the two?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

If masonry claims to altruistic, compassonate and orderly then it is possible that masonry is also capable of the opposite which is cold-heartedness, ill-will, malevolence and dis-order.
edit on 3-12-2006 by In nothing we trust]

If you are going to say that then you have to apply it to any altruistic organization. You see,one of the many problems that I have with the anti-Masonic agenda is that there line of "reasoning" can be applied to any group or organization. It is not exclusive to the Masons..

I am not saying that you are trying to be anti-Masonic here, I am not really sure what the point of this thread is,but your question sure does imply anti-Masonic tendencies.

As far as whether there is a dualism in Fremasonry.. Certainly.. There is much mention of "Evil and Good" in Freemasonry. Now, one of the criticisms of freemasonry that has often made me question their intentions, something I generally do not do because I think Masons are generally good people, is why they place "evil" in front of good... For example, when they are talking about Armageddon, instead of saying it will be aa "battl of good vs.evil," Masosns say, "it will be a battle of evil vs. good." I have never really understood the reasoning for this...

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Now, one of the criticisms of freemasonry that has often made me question their intentions, something I generally do not do because I think Masons are generally good people, is why they place "evil" in front of good... For example, when they are talking about Armageddon, instead of saying it will be aa "battl of good vs.evil," Masosns say, "it will be a battle of evil vs. good." I have never really understood the reasoning for this...

Who does that? I've never heard it.

Also, obviously, not all Masons even believe in the battle of Armageddon.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Who does that? I've never heard it.

Umm, Albert Pike...

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Umm, Albert Pike...

Where did Pike do that?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

The fire would not warm if it could not burn ... The most virulent poisons are the most sovereign remedies ... The evil is the shadow of the good. The arch rests not on a single column.

Kindest Regards Brothers

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucum per lucerna

The fire would not warm if it could not burn ... The most virulent poisons are the most sovereign remedies ... The evil is the shadow of the good. The arch rests not on a single column.

Kindest Regards Brothers

What does any of that have to do with Armageddon? I can find NOTHING about Armageddon in ANY of Pike's published works. Perhaps I'm missing something...or perhaps, once again, someone is making something up

The FULL quote above actually goes like this:

"Incessantly the great currents and rivers of air flow and rush and roll from the equator to the frozen polar regions, and back from these to the torrid equatorial realms. Necessarily incident to these great, immense, equilibrated and beneficent movements, caused by the antagonism of equatorial heat and polar cold, are the typhoons, tornadoes, and cyclones that result from conflicts between the rushing currents. These and the benign trade-winds result from the same great law. God is omnipotent; but effects without causes are impossible, and these effects cannot but sometimes be evil. The fire would not warm, if it could not also burn, the human flesh. The most virulent poisons are the most sovereign remedies, when given in due proportion. The Evil is the shadow of the Good, and inseparable from it.

The Divine Wisdom limits by equipoise the Omnipotence of the Divine Will or Power, and the result is Beauty or Harmony. The arch rests not on a single column, but springs from one on either side. So is it also with the Divine Justice and Mercy, and with the Human Reason and Human Faith."
--Morals & Dogma of the Ancient & Accepted Rite pp 846-47

Again, no mention of Armageddon.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Quite right. I can find no mention of Armageddon either. However, I was under the impression the posted thread topic was Duality a philosophic idea of which my incomplete quote tried to convey. Crucify me

Kindest Regards

top topics

join