It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of Ferromagnetic Fluid.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
video.google.com...

Check out this video showing Ferrofluids in action. These things could eventually be used as artificial muscles in Exoskeletons, Robots and Solid State Air/Seacraft.

Ferrofluid is a very interesting material originally developed by NASA it has now found itself been used for a whole range of devices ... all » including dampers for controlling and stabilizing large building that move around in the wind. Whats also amazing is that they have such lovely visual qualities when magnetized.

The term liquid architecture is used a lot in interactive architecture based on the ideas of how architecture becomes animated by adding the 4th Dimension of Time. Sachiko has taken this idea of liquid architecture more literally with these stunning sculpture made from Ferrofluid which changes its state by the introduction of electro-magnetic waves into the fuid turning it solid.

[edit on 2-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
ferrofluid is a blast to play with!
i bought some about a year ago for an art project, and some rare earth magnets.
if you get a medium sized china bowl and pour the fluid in you can conceal the magnet in your hand under it, then when you bring it near, it spikes. great for kid and adults alike.

messing with ferrofluid is one messy liquid though. it's SUPER FINE, and is hard to get off surfaces. if you bring the magnet too close to the bowl edge, the fluid will jump over the edge and stick to the magnet. -- it's actually one of the coolest feeling things to touch! very hard to explain (when touching the fluid on a magnet)
i had mine sitting in my bowl to open air with a magnet glued under the bowl sitting on my shelf for over a year. it lasts a long time in an oxidized environment. great stuff!
-b

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This is some crazy Stuff. Do you think a biomagnetic holographic chip type of material could be made out of this stuff in the bloodstream of a human being? When it forms it could come out of a skin pore. I am thinking of the Morgellen type of fiber optic fibers and such.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Ferrofluids are neat stuff and they're pretty simple to make as well, all you need to know is simple titration techniques. I assist with a Nanotechnology course and the lab that makes ferrofluids is always the favorite lab. Their uses right now are pretty much just to seal things, but as with all of Nano-world some greater things could be applicable.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
ferrofluid is a blast to play with!
i bought some about a year ago for an art project, and some rare earth magnets...

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that stuff cost? It sounds like fun...

top topics

join