It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this scientifically possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Is it possible for a island to re-emerge from under water, within say two or three months?

By re-emerge I mean coming up from really deep.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I doubt it. That normally takes thousands of years...

[Edited on 15-11-2003 by TheBandit795]

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Yeah, island reemrgences are generally the result of tectonic plate shifts, and even then it is an island chain that is formed, not a single island.

Unless of course you're talking about Island creation which is a whole different ball game.

Why?

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
Why?

Just wondering if a sunken island can re-emerge in a short time notice.

How long do you think it would take?

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Depends on how deep down it sunk. If it's 20-30 feet deep it can take some months or years.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Can the process be sped up naturally? Like Earthquakes or something not man made?

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 10:26 PM
link   
it can happen nearly overnight if there is a lot of tectonic activity. let me try and dig up records, but im pretty sure i remember reading about and island that would disappear for months to years, and resurface in a few days, only to disapear again etc

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Sure, through volcanic activity, or perhaps a massive earthquake(although thats less likely I would have thought.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Not really, as others have said. You could get an island to rise quickly if it was in shallow water and a volcano erupted on it (this has happened before.) You do get SOME movement up and down in large earthquakes, but not 30-100 feet of slippage (unless it's falling down a cliff...and then it's not going to rise up again.)

top topics

join