It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussies Whupping Poms in the Greatest Game...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 01:25 PM
link   
First Test, Brisbane, day one:
Australia 364-2 v England

news.bbc.co.uk...

For all you underprivilged non-cricket playing people, in the first day of the game australia scored as much while losing only 2 men as most teams would have scored with ALL their members out...

The poms had better pray for rain....

typical british catch ...

[Edited on 7-11-2002 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken

typical british catch ...

Tyipical BRITISH catch?!
A Scotsman would have got his hands to that. Dont use the word "britain" or "british" when referring to the english, they give the rest of the UK a bad name

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I thought you would be proud to be considerd part of the english team ... afterall who has ever heard of the scottish international cricket team?

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I might normally say pride comes before a fall Netchiken.But this is Cricket and this first day will probably be the best for England.What are the chances of rain?It will have to come quick the 1st Test could be over in 3 days.

Scotish Cricket.What that?

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ahhhhh.You're link is even BBC so I can't even blame biased Aussie reporting.
Thought you were Kiwi NC.

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I am but this is a "can't lose" topic for me.

I win if the aussies win - 'cause they beat the poms ... - traditional foes...

and I win if the Poms win .. 'cause they beat those underarm bowling aussies...

The ideal would be if both teams lost to each other

[Edited on 7-11-2002 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I heard Richie Benau defending the under arm bowling controversy recently.
So you guys still havn't forgiven them.
Where are the Kiwis in the rankings these days.I could look it up but if the wind changed I might end up with a permanent stoop from looking so low on the ranking table.

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The underarm bowling incident was a pivotal incident in trans tasman sporting events.

I can even remember the exact things I was doing at the time.... it like if you watch the final in a major sporting event .. THE major sporting event ... and in the last instant tied neck and neck the opposition cheat... the entire country was shocked, and we still need therapy to get over it...

BTW our cricket team are usually not too hot, but this year will be worse as the top 100 players are on strike...

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Could somebody please explain the rules and basically the game of cricket to me? PLEASE???

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I 2nd that, Inspectah. Those guys sure wear some sharp uniforms to play cricket. Seems a little bit like baseball to me, with no foul balls. I guess in my ignorant little world if it's not football, baseball, basketball, or hockey, it's crap.

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 11:06 PM
link   
...this is one of the few times I'd support the Aussies...

...as for the under-arm bowling incident...a plague upon the lot of 'em!! May their muscles take great exception to their bones and wrench and snap them in their fury...

But really - its only Cricket...not like its a real sport like say Rugby Union or Rugby League...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Does this help?

THE RULES OF CRICKET

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in batting

Each man that�s in goes out and bats and when he�s out he comes in. The next man goes in until he�s out

When all the side that�s in goes out, the side that�s been out goes in, and those that are out try get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men who are still in and not out

When both sides have been in and out including the not outs the Games is over.

[Edited on 8-11-2002 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Ahem, do no kiwis remember the tri series with s.a a few years ago? In which you lost your abilities to whine about underarm bowling

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 02:10 AM
link   
...short term memory loss Kano...it applies to only things WE do...

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 01:59 PM
link   
To all antipodeans,Better day today for England.

Resilient England hit back

First Test, Brisbane, day two:
Australia 492; England 158-1 (at close

England showed the fighting spirit demanded by captain Nasser Hussain and coach Duncan Fletcher as they shrugged off a dismal opening day performance at The Gabba

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Does this help?

THE RULES OF CRICKET

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in batting

Each man that�s in goes out and bats and when he�s out he comes in. The next man goes in until he�s out

When all the side that�s in goes out, the side that�s been out goes in, and those that are out try get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men who are still in and not out

When both sides have been in and out including the not outs the Games is over.

[Edited on 8-11-2002 by Netchicken]

Could you explain that with out using "out" or "in" every other word? Or provide atleast a link NC?

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 09:36 PM
link   
www.allworldknowledge.com...

Henry VIII called it "the sport of kings," but for many cricket is shrouded in enigma. This needn't be the case.

At heart, once removed of jargon, it remains a simple game of immense depth and beauty, combining strategy, cunning, raw hand-to-hand fist fighting to the death, teamwork and even the occasional tear of sorrow.

What follows is a simplified summary of the rules, as first set down by WG Grace, Lord of Wisden, in 1851.

www.britain-info.org...

There are two teams, each made up of 11 players. They play on a large circular field with a batting area at the centre (22 yards by 3 yards). This centre part of the field is called the pitch. At either end of the pitch is a wicket (28 inches high); the wicket consists of three vertical poles (stumps) and two small horizontal sticks (bails), which rest on top of the stumps.

To begin, one team bats and the other team fields (bowls). All the members of the fielding team are on the field at one time, spread out in various positions across the field. The batting team have two members on the field at any one time, each standing at either end of the pitch. One member of the fielding team acts as a 'bowler' and throws a cricket ball overarm from one end of the pitch towards the wicket at the other end. His aim is to try and hit this wicket. The aim of the batsman is to protect his wicket and to score runs by hitting the ball. There are two ways for a batsman to score.

By hitting the ball out of the field. If the ball bounces before it reaches the edge, then the batsman will score 4 runs. If it does not bounce then six runs are scored.
By hitting the ball within the field and then running to the other end of the pitch. The batsman as this end does the same, so that the two of them cross over. A single run is counted for each time that the batsmen cross each other.

There are many ways that a batsman can be deemed to be out (he retires and is replaced by another member of his team). The four main ways are:

If the bowler hits the wicket that he is defending with the ball.
If the player is caught (a fielder catches the ball hit by the batsman

before it hits the ground).
If the ball hits any part of the batsman's body and it is judged by the umpire (referee) that the ball would hit the wicket if it had not hit the batsman. This is known as leg before wicket (LBW)
If the batsman is run out. To achieve this a fielder must hit the wicket with the ball whilst the batsmen are running to the alternative end of the pitch.

When 10 players from the batting team are out, the teams swop over so that the fielders become the batters and the batters become the fielders. The aim of the new batting team is to try and beat the number of runs that the other team have scored.

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 10:35 PM
link   
this is all, as I have previously explained, a combination of clandestine devilry at Pine Gap, the eternal punishment of England (Kylie Minogue factor) and the fact that the other team showed up -always a problem for the England XI.
Add to that a captain who won the toss and then put the Australians in, and you will see that the only appropriate response is compassion.

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 10:37 PM
link   
save some compassion for the Rugby.

posted on Nov, 8 2002 @ 10:41 PM
link   
What is the only sport in which there are 13 players on the field? It is of course cricket (11+2) but the odd number and the small number stumps (no pun intended) most people.

<<   2 >>

join