It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

3rd Jap Sub from 1942 Raid on Sydney Harbour Found

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I seen this report on Today Tonight. And it turns our after all the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on SOTA radar imagery used to try and locate the sub, it was found by a simple fish finder...The pictures are pretty impressive, and its in surprisingly good shape. The divers that found it say there is still a body inside of it, in 17m deep water it was located. Did anybody hapen to catch the world exclusive?



LITTLE more than a year after the last breathless "discovery" of a Japanese midget submarine missing after the 1942 raid on Sydney, two television programs and a women's magazine have found "the real McCoy".

Last night Channel 7's Today Tonight scuttled a planned Channel 9 scoop by airing photographs from next week's edition of New Idea that purport to show the long-missing sub resting upright on the seabed north of Sydney.

On Sunday night, Nine's 60 Minutes planned to run the pictures of a two-man submarine it claims was found by scuba divers in deep water off the coast.

The network began running promotions for the "world exclusive" program early yesterday.

But Seven last night spiked 60 Minutes guns by showing New Idea's exclusive photographs. New Idea is published by Pacific Magazines, which is owned by Seven.

"The sub is in amazingly good shape. It is sitting up on its keel on the sand and instantly identifiable as a submarine," 60 Minutes reporter Liam Bartlett said yesterday.

"I know the story wasn't helped by the Foxtel History Channel documentary last year that falsely claimed to have found the sub in Broken Bay. This is different. It is the real McCoy."

The photographs shown on Today Tonight last night showed an object on the seabed heavily encrusted with barnacles and weed.

In November last year, the History Channel ran a documentary by Sydney filmmaker Damien Lay that claimed to have found the submarine covered by sand just off Lion Island, in Broken Bay, 35km north of Sydney.

A month later, NSW Planning Minister Frank Sartor said investigations by the NSW Heritage Office and the water police had confirmed that the mysterious lump of sand was just that - a lump of sand.

The missing submarine, known as M24, was one of three Japanese midget subs that slipped through the anti-submarine nets stretched across Sydney Harbour on May 31, 1942.

Two of the submarines were sunk after attacking shipping in the harbour - but no sign was found of M24. A torpedo from one of the subs sank HMAS Kuttabul, killing 21 sailors.

Over the past 60 years, the navy has had more than 50 approaches from divers and adventurers who have claimed to have found the 24m, 46-tonne sub.

All have proved to be false.

"You'll be surprised by how it looks," Bartlett said yesterday.
www.theaustralian.news.com.au...


[edit on 24-11-2006 by The Collective]




posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
just saw the promo for 60 minutes and the under water footage looks awesome. couldnt tell from the promo footage if there actually was a body still in it but if there is do they attempt to salvage the sub to return the remains to Japan?

wonder if this is getting any attention in the japanese media, hadnt seen any a short time ago.

will definately watch 60 minutes this week even though i normally give it a miss.



posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
if they wereboth sunk iat the same time the other must be near the same location right?



posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by iCEdTenG
if they wereboth sunk iat the same time the other must be near the same location right?


If you knew your history, you would know that there were 3 of them and one escaped. I just seen the report on 60mins, and they took it to the marine historian head of the NAVY and after seeing all the footage they took of messurments ect..he sayed he was 100% convinced that it was the ginuine article. Truely a find to remember for the blokes that stumbled apon it, and could put a lot of people's minds at ease. Especially the Japanese. While watching it on TV my dad told me that i actually had a relative killed in the raid, something i knew nothing of...small world.



posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Latest news on the sucken Japanese sub is that it will probably never be raised as it is classed as a war grave, unless there are any surviving members of the 2 dead Japanese sailors who request the return of their remains.
Fair enough i guess.



new topics

top topics
 
0

log in

join