It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Banned Totally!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
The people who are trying to stop smoking really are trying to do the smokers a favor. But I don't really care, so I say let smokers rot away their lungs if they want. As long as I don't have to deal with smoke in public places like restaurants, and other cramped spaces....

See it's that easy. I totally respect that as a smoker. A little bit of mutual respect toward each other is all it takes, and the ever growing stack of laws forcing a specific way of life would stop, possibly even decrease.

And since we don't have universal health care in the US, it's not like we have to pay for smokers' cancer treatments...

Well, you're almost correct on that one. We all still have to pay for the poor and the welfare/medical sponges of society. Unfortunatly, that is what the middle class is slowly becoming as well, but there is still a little time left.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 02:24 AM
link   
This is a fact. The carbon monoxide levels from car exaust, factories, ect.. on a bad day in Chicago set off carbon monoxide detectors inside people houses and apartments. Its gonna get you!

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
A democracy doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. There are laws. It means you get to elect officials who get to make the laws on your behalf. So the officials that you elected decided on your behalf that people shouldn't smoke in public buildings and that people can do without filling there bodies with preservatives.

The purpose of government is NOT to micro-manage our lives. The issue of where one can or cannot smoke should never even have made it to the legislature.

This is a matter of personal choice and freedom to live one's life as they choose, even if it is detrimental to their health.

When corporations are banned from polluting the air and cars no longer emit hazardous fumes, then maybe the anti-smoking brigade will have a valid argument.

The truth is that, it is the right of the restaurant owners, as to whether or not they want to allow smoking. It is the right of their employees to choose a different employer that doesn't allow smoking. It is the right of the patrons to decide if they want to go to a restaurant that allows smoking. It's not like we are talking about a Dr.'s office or church, it's a restaurant and nobody forces non-smokers to patronize a business if they don't want to. That's what self-government is all about, people taking responsibility for their own lives and choices. Not running to make a new law every time someone does something offensive in their presence. This is just one more example of people allowing government to make their decisions for them.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
the "crusaders" against smoking and other things that is "good", is the WHO organisation. the last couple of years i have been wondering wether they have any connection with NWO, the initials have a striking resemblance.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
In fact the people I see getting sick are the same people who run to the doctor every time they sneeze or cough a couple times. It seems that the people who coddle thier bodies all the time just end up weakening them in the long run. The body never learns to build up defences on it's own and therefor always needs some help to defend itself. Plus this country was built in large part by tobbacco. Old timers used to smoke filterless Lucky Strikes, Eat Greasy, Fattening Food, and Drink Moonshine and Hard Whiskey and they always seem to be the ones that live to ripe old ages.

Here here! My grandpa smoked two packs of filterless lucky strikes, a bottle of Vodka, and several beers a day. He demanded that red meat be served at every meal, and used butter on everything. He lived to be 92, and died only because my grandmother did. I guess the old rascal did have a soft touch after all.

People do coddle their bodies to much. Running to the doctor for every little thing is both time consuming and annoying. I like to smoke in bars and restaurants, but if a nonsmoker asks me to extinguish(at least in a restaurant) I will. I respect nonsmokers rights, but I believe I have the right to smoke mydelf immobile

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jezebel
The truth is that, it is the right of the restaurant owners, as to whether or not they want to allow smoking. It is the right of their employees to choose a different employer that doesn't allow smoking. It is the right of the patrons to decide if they want to go to a restaurant that allows smoking. It's not like we are talking about a Dr.'s office or church, it's a restaurant and nobody forces non-smokers to patronize a business if they don't want to. That's what self-government is all about, people taking responsibility for their own lives and choices. Not running to make a new law every time someone does something offensive in their presence. This is just one more example of people allowing government to make their decisions for them.

you took the words right out of my mouth. it's really none of the government's business whether or not a restaraunt or bar or bowling alley wants to allow smoking. it's the choice of the patrons to go or not.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   
They said on the news smokers take more sick days than every one else.

I dont like having to go somewhere and breath your smoke but heres the thing.

I belive in a free country. If you want to kill yourself with carcinogens thats your right but I should not have to.

1. Pay for your medical ceverage if you get sick and cant work,

2. Breath your smoke.

3. Look at and pick up your ciggerette buts.

All you smokers are stepping on my rights by polouting my planet with your trashy filthy butt flickings and my air with your pollouted air carcinogens,

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I agree with you in one respect, no one should have to shoulder everyone else's health bills.*scoots over to mud pit*

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by websuspect
I don't like having to go somewhere and breath your smoke but heres the thing...
All you smokers are stepping on my rights by polluting my planet with your trashy filthy butt flickings and my air with your polluted air carcinogens,

I hate 2nd hand smoke as much as any non-smoker and I understand not wanting to be in a smoke filled room. But when I was younger and smoking was still allowed in CA restaurants, I don't ever recall smelling or feeling affected by the smoke from the smoking sections.
Are you going to tell me that the pollutants in the air we breathe would cease to be detrimental to our health if people didn't smoke? When people tell me I should stop smoking "because it's bad for me", I recommend they stop breathing the air. Air pollution from factories and vehicles causes more damage to people's respiratory systems than a person smoking in a separate section of a properly ventilated restaurant.

I worked in a pharmacy for 6 years, and the number of small children that are born with or develop asthma and other respiratory problems (i.e., chronic bronchitis, sinus allergies, etc.) has been gradually increasing. This is not a result of being around 2nd hand smoke. It is a result of living in ridiculously polluted, toxic air.

Going after smokers is just a ruse, to make supporters feel like they are helping protect non-smokers health, and to allow the government to target a "politically incorrect" habit with exorbitant taxes. If the do-gooders of America want to make a difference for their children's sakes, they'll fight to stop the government from giving tax incentives to people so that they will by "pollution-factory" SUVs and over-sized trucks, which most of people have no real use for.

As for the littering issue, I agree that it is disrespectful and wrong to throw cigarette butts, OR ANY TRASH, out onto the street or sidewalk. What is the most offensive thing to me, in regards to litter, is when I am in a park or in the mountains, and some jackass has left their trash, beer cans, food wrappers, whatever, all over the place, like they were raised in a zoo. Litter is a problem with most all humans, smokers and non. It should be a concern to everyone, because we all have to live on the same planet.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:27 AM
link   
This is how you get around this people. If I want to smoke, I'LL #ING SMOKE!!! I'll spark up regardless, # you whiney non-smokers, it's my #ing right to do whatever I want to do. If the owners don't want it then maybe fair enough, but to MAKE IT LAW?!!! What a crock of #!!!
Hey, non-smokers die everyday so don't give me that # about breathing my smoke, you're not immune to death if you don't toke you know? You could be jogging one day and suddenly you'll have a heart attack right there aged 35, and I'll be sitting at the bench having a smoke and probably live to 95.
If you really want to bitch about other people polluting you, go and #ing protest all the power plants around your homes that are doing more damage to you than my smoke could ever do. But no, I don't see you doing much about that you moaning bastards.

I'll say it once more, NON-SMOKERS DIE EVERYDAY!!! NOT SMOKING DOES NOT BUY YOU IMMORTALITY!!!

Rant over.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm

Originally posted by websuspect
Not to mention smokers take off all those sick days every year costing the country Billions of dollars.

I'll agree with you on the Butt's though. I've watched boneheads open their car doors and dump entire ashtrays out on the street or sidewalk. That is a bunch of B.S.!! Especially since there is usually a trash can or something about 20 feet away too.

Ack, I hate that too. I smoke, but I always make a point of putting the butt in a 'butt stop' or in the trash.
It really pisses me off when I see people dumping their trash on the ground. It's sad, especially when they are standing literally right next to a garbage can and they nonchalantly drop something.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm pissed about these places that are trying to ban smoking all together, even to the point where a person can't smoke in their own car or house. I think it's asinine. I will respect a non-smoker's right to not have to deal with my smoke by either putting my cigarette out or just plain not lighting up. If I can't have my cigarettes, I'd like to see some of these nonsmokers go without their fu�king morning coffee.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero
I'm pissed about these places that are trying to ban smoking all together, even to the point where a person can't smoke in their own car or house. I think it's asinine. I will respect a non-smoker's right to not have to deal with my smoke by either putting my cigarette out or just plain not lighting up. If I can't have my cigarettes, I'd like to see some of these nonsmokers go without their fu�king morning coffee.

I agree with you on that one.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I grew up in that town. It has few if any real bars or taverns (none when I was growing up) no package liquor stores, and one rinky dink bowling alley that I doubt will be affected much.

The country clubs will be hit hard however.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Then why did they have this law put up.

BTW theres a Foremost liquor on Green Bay, CJ Arthurs got a liquor license, and numerous restaurants have opened up on the outskirts of town

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
Then why did they have this law put up.

BTW theres a Foremost liquor on Green Bay, CJ Arthurs got a liquor license, and numerous restaurants have opened up on the outskirts of town

Its been a while since I spent any time there.
'back in the day, you had to drive to Skokie to get to a real liquor store (over by Death Valley hospital).

Why did they do it? It's the North Shore. What else can I say.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Lots of younger people have moved there. They want their liquor closer i guess

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:51 PM
link   
When are they going to ban potato chips? or ice cream?

are these not two of the most fat laden foods there are with all the worst kinds of fat too?

I think they should be outlawed,

think of all the heart attacks each year caused by these two foods and all the heart disease and high blood pressure not to mention obesity and related complications.

Forget cigarettes, many people do not smoke.

But too many people eat potato chips!

we must stop people from doing anything that is bad for them.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
[Edited on 19-11-2003 by Creepy]

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 07:08 AM
link   
i think smoking was banned as a pre-emptive strike to stop legalization of weed... people got to roll their own now

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join