It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vancouver's Brown water...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Ewww , ewwww, ewww.

here in Vancouver we have another "Boil Water" advisory. The water is literally coming out brown and sludgy looking and stinks to high heaven.

No power outages in our area during or after the storm but a lot of downed trees and branches everywhere. Some areas have more damage. On the island it was really bad.

The Boil Water Advisory is still in effect...the turbidity levels of the resevoir (our main one of three) was 80 compared to normal of 1 LMAO (Turbidity is the amount of silt and deposits that are stirred up from the bottom of the resevoir).

I boiled some water. It was still brownish yellow even after I cooled it and let it sit. Can't bring myself to drink it so I'm running it all through an active charcoal filter in addition to boiling. I do have emergency water too but will save it.

The lineups at the grocery stores for water were incredible!!! Crazy, crazy lines.

Same thing happened a couple of years ago...but that was when a new main was installed in my area.

Here in the dungeon...no leaks or flooding thank frank. Sump pump is working overtime though and I just hope the rain tapers off.

I love the news though..."Building Collapse...massive power outages...."

One skeletal building collapsed...it was under construction...I'd be more likely to blame the shoddy builders (we have a hefty earthquake code here) who build crap structures, rather than the storm.

Massive power outages??? On the island, and in West Vancouver...it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, it's a heavily treed area over in West Van...the most concern was for flooding.

Was quite the storm front none the less. Blew in and lasted a good four or five hours in my neck of the woods then started tapering off to a dull roar.

Pineapple Express...can they come up with a dumber name?

Just an update from this part of the world.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Update:

The "Boil Water Advisory" is in effect until Wednesday, November 2nd.

More heavy rainfall today and more to come so the advisory may be extended.

Water is SOLD OUT at more locations of Canada Safeway, IGA, SuperStore etc etc etc than I can possibly post. They are expecting truckloads from neighboring cities and more still from Alberta and other exporters.

It's advised not to shower or bath using the tap water! Ewwwwww.

My friend tried to bath the babies today...you couldn't see the bottom of the tub the water was so dark and sludgy.

This is a great test of many people's preparedness. I think most have failed.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I understand this is a little off topic, but I need to ask.

You've said the ban is in effect until November 2nd. Yet you've posted this on November 18th.

Have I missed something? Just looking for some clarification.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
LMAO...it's the 22nd the ban is in effect until...sorry forgot a two (2)....

Should be 22nd of November.

Updated news says possibly lifted Monday the 20th...new storm system coming in early Sunday...we'll see what happens...

Good catch Chissler
Thanks!!

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I believe a wise man once commented on his own town's water supply by saying, "If it's brown, drink it down. If it's black, send it back." His name is Homer. He is a visionary.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
LMAO...Did Homer the wise one have any saying about that water smelling like a fish tank that hasn't been cleaned...ever???

I have had to resort to using my emergency water...cannot drink this boiled swill.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I haven't even tried to boil any water. I've been using my emergency supplies. Out here in the 'burbs (Coquitlam) water isn't as hard to come by. The Safeway down the street was sold out, but all the little stores have plenty in stock.

The worst part is bathing. I feel icky and I think I might just smell a little funny.

And that's after a shower!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Water looks better today.

Great storm we had blow in huh? Sunshine and blue sky! If that's their idea of a storm I'll take it!

Hopefully the advisory will be lifted Monday...

Was a landslide that caused the whole mess

Hope the weather holds!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I saw that blue sky! I woke up, looked outside and saw that something was horribly wrong. It's November in Vancouver and it wasn't even raining.

So I prompty pulled the blanket over my head and went back to sleep.

The water does look a lot clearer today, no brown at all!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Another sunshiny day!!

They forecast was for more rain today as well... no sign of it LMAO...guess it's one of those times when the meteorologists should step away from the screen and look out the window

Glad the water in Coquitlam is better...your city really stepped in and helped out quite a bit with finding ways to get water to the GVRD.

Our water in Van is MUCH clearer as well...but still stinks to high heaven. Still have 30 litres of water left LOL...hopefully they'll lift the advisory...still no word yet.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Rain is usually a safe forecast this time of year.

Mark Madryga got it wrong today. I hope he got the rest of the week wrong, as well. We need a few more clear days, to get the turbidity down.

I hope this serves as a wake-up call to the thousands of people who weren't prepared for something like this. This is minor compared to what will happen during an earthquake, which is more of a when than an if in my mind.

Except for the low-income people who can't afford to have stuff sitting around. They're going to be screwed come earthquake time.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
If the water shortage continues I think the ministry will offer a "refund" to cover water expenses...I know they are issuing grants for seniors and low income people to buy water.

I spent over 40 bucks buying water for a friend of mine who was broke...she's got younger kids...she's not on welfare and even the food bank didn't have any to spare...and her local church was out as well.

It really is scary how many people weren't prepared...they just don't ever think anything might happen...too many "if and when it happens I'll worry about it" people out there.

Water is looking much better today yet I heard a rumour that the advisory may be continued for a lot longer!!! ( I heard another week)...trying to find out for sure...

new topics

top topics

join