It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JROTC Programs banned in SF

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
I'm not saying anyone should discriminate, but they should be able to if they want to.

Your'e contradicting yourself.

Including the military. And yes, individual soldiers would discriminate. I can only imagine all the "don't drop the soap" jokes.

Yeah, just like in the civilian work force, a few people would discriminate.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
Heh, that's the first time I've actually seen an argument on here that ended up in someone changing their mind.

When I'm demonstrated to be wrong, I try to cop to it.

However, I don't see where it's unconstitutional to discriminate

All men are equal. There's not much wiggle room in there. People were able to say 'sure, all men are equal, but that doesn't include blacks, who we can sell as slaves, or women even, who should keep quite'.

THe entire point of the constitition was to protect human rights. Just because some guy chooses to have anal sex with another guy, or anything like that, hardly means that they've somehow lost the inalienable rights given to them by their creator, an appeal to the highest authority, beyond any government, faith, or ideology.

In that case, Mr. Civilian, why don't you go and reverse the military policy about gays?

In case you didn't know, the military is directed and commanded by the civililan government. It is subordinate to the civilians.

And yes, individual soldiers would discriminate. I can only imagine all the "don't drop the soap" jokes.

And there was a time when they'd beat the snot out of any black that tried to join their unit, or used their unit's bathrooms. That hardly makes it acceptable or right.

blueraja
If you're out of shape, you hurt the team, if you're screwing your buddies' wife, you hurt the team, if your personal affairs aren't in order so that your mind isn't focused, you hurt the team

They're not letting gays in the military because they don't like gays, because they're homophobic. Its the same reason why they didn't let blacks into white units, because they were racist.

You're changing your argument. Originally it was based on what the law said, and now it's on what the law should say

All men are created equal. Thats the law. People have used every arguement to get around that in the past, for their own personal predjudices, whether against women, blacks, different religions, etc.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join