It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Technology Will Allow For Wireless Recharging

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Here's the BBC report with a picture of what the cambridge based scientists have done.

My earlier comments were made on the assumption that you'd need a tesla coil style transmitter and reciever, I'm sure I saw a picture of that but can't find it now.

[edit on 17/11/06 by byhiniur]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Lets be honest. This thing isn't "wireless power" as much as a "connectionless charger." You still need pretty close contact with the pad and it is only for low power devices anyway.

The idea that vendors won't need to pack a charger with their devices is kind of laughable too. I mean Apple, for instance, can't just assume you have a charging pad. Even if their devices can use this thing they will still have to provide a charger.

Also I see a problem going foward. If the company ever releases, say, a higher power version then suddenly the consumer had to make sure the devices he purchases are compatable with the version of the pad he owns.

...or he/she can just use that archaic dock thingy that already comes with his device - saving $25 all without losing any functionality or flexiblity.

Jon

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel

Also I see a problem going foward. If the company ever releases, say, a higher power version then suddenly the consumer had to make sure the devices he purchases are compatable with the version of the pad he owns.

Jon

bulls-eye,

it all ammounts to another niche industry, nice to have a 'need' arising out of people too irresponsible to plug-in their rechargeable devices...

source physics today. org

...it might one day be possible to recharge our laptop computers,
cell phones and other indispensible electronic gadgets wirelessly,
without having to lug around so many different kinds of chargers.

(...)

that above link is the blog from the org that provided the recent San Francisco Forum, so that assessment is 'from the horses mouth'

so instead of rectifiers or power down transformers on a copper/aluminum wire
that cost $....whats being proposed is a few meter wireless induction device for $$$$ (est @ 4X the present price of todays chargers) ??thats progress??

<< 1   >>

join