It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Technology Will Allow For Wireless Recharging

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   

In the future, we might recharge electronics the same way many people
now surf the web: wirelessly.

The idea of wireless energy transfer is not a new one.
Researchers have known that wires don’t always need to be in contact
for electric power to get transferred.

Electric motors and power transformers contain coils that transmit
energy to each other by the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction.
This phenomenon was discovered by English scientist Michael Faraday,
who found out that a changing magnetic field induces a current in a
nearby circuit.

So, a current running in an emitting coil induces another current in a
receiving coil; the two coils are in close proximity, but they do not touch.

Scientists then discovered electromagnetic radiation in the form of
radio waves.

Radio waves, and microwaves, could be used to transfer energy, and
then get picked up with antennas.
But these types of energy transfer are not very safe or efficient because
the waves spread in all directions and so most of the energy is lost to the
surrounding.

Soljacic and colleagues, however, suggest using a power transmitter to
fill the space with a “non-radiative” electromagnetic field.

A “non-radiative” electromagnetic field is a state of electric and magnetic
fields which are localized someplace on the device and in the source, said
John Joannopoulos, a researcher from MIT.
“Localized means that electromagnetic fields will die off as you go away
from the device or the source.”

The energy could then be picked up by especially designed gadgets.
What's not picked up by the receiver is then reabsorbed by the emitter.

SOURCE:
LiveScience.com

This is a very cool development.

Imagine not having to worry about forgetting to plug your cellphone
in, just leave it within the transmission distance and there you go.

I can see this technology being very helpful once it's developed more
and onto a large long scale level, imagine having huge orbiting solar
collection power plants that beam the power back to Earth, it could
provide completely green and renewable power.

[edit on 11/14/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Nice one, and if it were to be proven to work, a total bonus for the entire earth. There has to be a catch though, there usually is. Perhaps it will cause cancer, or premature hair loss....

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   

...or premature hair loss....

And that's a bad thing?

If it mean losing some hair, well I think that's an acceptable
price to pay, I mean it's not like hair actually has a use
anymore.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Au contraire. It does if one is a hairdresser.....

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
Au contraire. It does if one is a hairdresser.....

Touchee.

From an evolutionary stand point though, we don't
actually need it.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
That is quite correct. I found the original article quite intriguing, do you think it will go anywhere, or is it doomed to be filed away in some government basement? Personally, I think they should work out in the open on this one, it seems rather cool!

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I think it will get developed to the point where people use it to
recharge there cells and other stuff like that.

It may, if it proves to be cheaper for the power companies,
be developed into a transmission system for cities rather than
having to use powercables.

I don't think unfortunately that it will be used in a true power
source like I mentioned for quite along time, I'd say not until
we have large self sustaining or near self sustaining colonies
in space, on planets and in asteroids.

EDIT:
Spelling.

[edit on 11/14/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I guess I needn't worry about the hair thing just yet then. And I was so looking forward to putting my wife's hairdresser into other work. God knows, he has enough of my coin now to retire, or at least payoff his Lexus.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is my first post here at ATS, but I have to ask.... Could this energy floating through the air mess up someone's pace maker?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bovah
This is my first post here at ATS, but I have to ask.... Could this energy floating through the air mess up someone's pace maker?

If it's electromagnetic, which it will be, then yes it would.

But I guess they can find a way around it.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
this is awesome, I always thought wires are the worst thing for electronics, one of there only downfalls.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The wireless transfer of electrical power is something that tesla was interested in as well although their way of going about it is different, this could be a great invention. Good find

It is possible that Nikola Tesla is best known for his remarkable statements regarding the wireless transmission of electrical power. His first efforts towards this end started in 1891 and were intended to simply "disturb the electrical equilibrium in the nearby portions of the earth... to bring into operation in any way some instrument." In other words the object of his experiments was simply to produce effects locally and detect them at a distance. By 1899 the electrical potential of his transmitter had increased to the point that more room was needed for the sake of safety. This and other considerations led him to temporarily shift his wireless experiments to a location just outside of Colorado Springs.

Source

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice
The wireless transfer of electrical power is something that tesla was interested in as well although their way of going about it is different, this could be a great invention. Good find

It is possible that Nikola Tesla is best known for his remarkable statements regarding the wireless transmission of electrical power.
Source

I was just to mention Tesla too. His genius will be revealed even if it take 100 years to do so. I still believe that he was far smarter than Einstein and that we need to be studying what he was proposing and working with his theories.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There is nothing new to see here. This is all old. Everytime you listen to the (AM) radio you are just sucking a little bit of energy out of the air and then just amplifying it. Everytime you use that little Mobil-Pass at the gas station you are using a small microprocessor powered completely by radio waves sent from the "reader."

The problem with using EM to power anything major is that you can't encrypt power. Let me explain...

Remember when everyone was getting up-in-arms because people were leaving their wireless routers unlocked and so anyone could come and steal their internet service from the sidewalk? Well that same problem would now apply to electricity which is why GE and company didn't like Tesla's world-wide wireless power system. How do control it and how do you profit? How do you stop your neighbor from charging his batteries from your air-jack?

Hell all sorts of stuff leak power into the air. A farmer years ago was arrested for stealing power from the high tension power lines that ran near his house. How? He built an inductor in his basement and simply pulled the energy out of the air around his house.

The problem with any wireless power schemes is that it sends power through everything in its area including the human brain. The FCC* recommends the human brain recieve no more than 74 mW/cm^2 for 6 minutes! Doing some back of the envelope calculations (assume the antenna for the power is the same size as the screen of the laptop) we get about 57 watts of power (enough to power a laptop but probably not enough to power it and charge it at the same time) for a whole whooping 6 minutes before you exceed FCC safety limits.

To make it safe for any long term exposure you must lower the power and so powering laptops is out but a cellphone or ipod could be charged/powered wirelessly with todays technology without too much trouble.

*www.fcc.gov...

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
You are right in saying that you cannot encrypt the power output... but the effective range is only about a meter. I mean, at that range, why would you need to encrypt it?

Regarding the technology as a whole, I was wondering when someone would finally get some people together to finish Teslas dream.

I like how they actually listed the approximate frequency, and pretty much told you how to build it... if you read into it, it's like they were telling other independant research how to start with it themselves. I guess they are running on a grant, and aren't actually expecting to get direct funding from a patent.

By the way, didnt the old crystal radios recieve alot of power just from the station they were tuned in on?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
im glad somone is finally listening to good ol tesla.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

surrounding.

SOURCE:
LiveScience.com

Wouldn't this mean that ultimately you would require more resources to build and use this rather than plugging a cable into the object that requires recharging?

I like the idea of a WWEW (world wide energy web), but the effects on humans can't be good, as pointed out above.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by byhiniur

Originally posted by iori_komei

surrounding.

SOURCE:
LiveScience.com

Wouldn't this mean that ultimately you would require more resources to build and use this rather than plugging a cable into the object that requires recharging?

I like the idea of a WWEW (world wide energy web), but the effects on humans can't be good, as pointed out above.

No no. It was using that as an example of what it isnt.
The design they have doesnt interfere with humans, the frequency is way above anything that the human body resonates at. It would be something akin to trying to hear a radio frequency with the human ear... doesnt happen.

From what I gather, the design is actually very basic. It wouldnt take much to build it, just a bit to research enough to make it efficient.

Anything wireless in regards to power will require more power to emit, than you will recieve on the other end. But I guess the convenience of having it wireless outweighs the concequences of the power loss. Atmosphere simply doesnt conduct energy as well as wires, no matter what form the energy is in.

But no, it isn't at all harmful to humans.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Why recharge wirelessly...why don't you just never plug things in?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
that is the next step in technology, soon everything will be wireless, gee now just imagine those airwaves. healthy aint it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join