It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plutonium Found In Iranian Nuclear Waste Facility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Inspectors from the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Administration) have found an unspecified amount of highly enriched uranium and plutonium at an Iranian nuclear waste facility. The IAEA has asked Tehran for an explanation for the presence of a substance that otherwise shouldn't have been there. The incident is mentioned in a report being prepared for next week's IAEA meeting.

news.yahoo.com
VIENNA, Austria - International Atomic Energy experts have found unexplained plutonium and highly enriched uranium traces in a nuclear waste facility in
Iran and have asked Tehran for an explanation, an IAEA report said Tuesday.

The report, prepared for next week's meeting of the 35-nation IAEA, also faulted Tehran for not cooperating with the agency's attempts to investigate suspicious aspects of Iran's nuclear program that have lead to fears it might be interested in developing nuclear arms.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well I wonder if this counts as evidence that Iran has a nuclear weapons program? I'm sure it'll be brushed off by Chinese, Russian and European media as nothing to see here. I mean c'mon is nuclear proliferation really what the world wants? Every time I listen to BBC have your say I can't believe how many times people (mainly europeans) say they believe Iran has the right to nuclear weapons. This just two decades after the two superpowers came within a hair's breadth of total nuclear disarmament. A more gigantic step backwards I cannot imagine.

[edit on 14-11-2006 by danwild6]

[edit on 11/14/2006 by Gools]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think you're right. The 'International community' will try to brush it under the rug. America is now split to the point of ineptitude. A truly dangerous situation, seeing as the Jew's have been torched before, and I don't see 'em letting it happen again! The Middle East is reaching a boil......

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Time is running out for Iran. If the UN don't get their act together and impose some sanctions then Israel will have no choice but to act. As far as Israel is concerned it's the end of them if Iran get nukes - and nobody should underestimate that. As far as Israel is concerned they have nothing to lose - if they attack Iran and all the countries surrounding it attack them in retaliation and wipe them out.....so what.......it's either that or Iran wipes them out with nukes a few years down the line. We in "the West" can't possibly understand the Israeli mentality on this.

Iran aren't showing signs of backing down. Israel certainly won't back down. Unless the UN can defuse the situation we'll be heading for a major conflict in the ME within the next 6 months or so.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
What doesn't make sense to me is why the Iranians would allow inspectors onto a site knowing they were doing something against the rules. It just doesn't add up. You would figure they would put up a false wall and hide it. Its not like they don't have their own detection devices to check before the inspectors do. Could it be traces from Pakistani or Chinese sources , the previous owners? Thy had the same problem before since the equipment they have is used.

This is the problem with this leaked news stuff, it seems like they leak just enough to make it seem sinister. We need to get hold of the full report for more info.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 04:40 AM
link   
What makes you think Iran knew they where doing something wrong, seems like they just screwed up is all.

Anyway this manipulative regeim will just start spurting that the Inspectors are US agents or some crap and planted it there.

Gawd knows how much evidence the UN needs, maybe a mushroom cloud over Israel will be the final proof theyre looking for ?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Isnt this like the 2nd, or 2rd time theyve found enriched uranium, plutonium or something suspicous?

So where exactly is this going...

Iran declared nothing is going to stop it achieving its RIGHT to nuclear fuel.
Israel has declared they will use military force if they have to, to stop iran achieving nuclear status.
America has said every option is on the table.
Syria has declared they will take the golan heights by force if nessecary.

Even if the UN managed to find a way for them to negotioate.. theres still too many 'other' factors that can result in war.

Sadly, I think this is evevitable.
Fuel is going to sky rocket...
IF you have a loan, or mortgage.. expect interest rates to sky rocket...
the cost of living is going to fly of the handle.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
What makes you think Iran knew they where doing something wrong, seems like they just screwed up is all.

Anyway this manipulative regeim will just start spurting that the Inspectors are US agents or some crap and planted it there.

Gawd knows how much evidence the UN needs, maybe a mushroom cloud over Israel will be the final proof theyre looking for ?

What makes me think they knew they were doing something wrong? These people there are Nuclear scientists as well as other Scientists and professionals. I am sure these people know how to interpret the law to the T. These are not just your average joes putting together a kit car. A Nuclear reactor is complex. I wouldn't be surprised that as part of their education they must learn about various protocals regarding NPT and IAEA. Im not 100% sure about it, but it would seem to me that it would be par for the course to learn about these things. I would also imagine the IAEA would also be giving them guidelines they must follow as well. Maybe somone here in the field may know.

The UN should be thorough and not just jump to conclusions.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
If someone doesn't do something about Iran soon, then before you know it we'll be reading an article about an Iranian nuclear test, just like Korea. I find it difficult to comprehend how the U.N. can fail so miserably and be so eaten up with political correctness they are simply paralyzed.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
I
I find it difficult to comprehend how the U.N. can fail so miserably and be so eaten up with political correctness they are simply paralyzed.

Probably because they're forced to play the role of bouncer in a barroom brawl, instead of being able to appeal to anyone's reason and rationality.

In international politics, as in kindergarten, good role modeling goes a long, long way.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
From what I've read, Iran has been blocking the IAEA from some of its most sensitve sites. How is this possible? If you are going to have inspections, the most secretive and sensitive sites are going to be the most important in determining if Iran is seeking nuclear bombs or simple energy means.

Its obvious in the Iranian presidents commentary what his ultimate goal is, and the world had better wake up quick. I cant think of any situation more volatile for the future of the human race than this. This is truly the brink of world WWIII, and this time its going to be nuclear.

Iran has stated it absolutely will not stop until it has achieved its goal of being a full nuclear power. This and ofcourse lets not forget its 'other' ultimate goal, the complete destruction of Israel.

Israel has stated that it will not let Iran acquire nuclear weapons, it will destroy these sites before they are allowed to gas up their first nuclear tipped missile. And who could blame them.

If all other countries do not step in immediatly and rattle Iran to stop this insanity, WWIII is gonna be on like donkey kong.

Sadly, alot of people have become so 'war weary' that they question the 'motives' of stopping Iran with military force, thinking its 'just another conspiracy' to topple an unfriendly regime for their oil.

This type of war wearyness among the masses is just what hitler counted on when he steam rolled across Europe.

[edit on 15-11-2006 by super70]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by super70

This type of war wearyness among the masses is just what hitler counted on when he steam rolled across Europe.

But.

It's the USA that's rolling through Afghanistan and Iraq and threatening Iran, Korea, Venezuela and everyone.

Are you comparing Bush to Hitler?

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

It's the USA that's rolling through Afghanistan and Iraq and threatening Iran, Korea, Venezuela and everyone.

Are you comparing Bush to Hitler?

Why would I make such a comparison? As far as I know the US doesn't now, or ever has made any 'threats' to anyone. That's what third world thug leaders do. The US simply states options and consequences. Then backs them up.

Don't hate the US because we walk the talk. Hate on your own leaders who 'bend over and take it.'

Moving on...

Unfortunately there are no 'good' options for the middle east situation. If your option is to sit back and let them 'duke it out', you are being a bit short sighted. A nuclear attack by either Iran or Israel will not be contained to these two areas. Its going to effect the entire globe, when other countries stand up to defend their chosen side.

top topics

join