It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
As for the future technology i would think scientist should work one imporving our brain i mean as most of us know that an Average Human being only uses 10% of their brain and an avg. HUMAN BRAIN weighs 3lbs or so i think. So i mean i have heard such theories like if we use all 100% we can move things using our brain can communicate telepathicaly like "ALIENS" as most people say. idk but could it be true that the heavier your brain is the more u can use it or some thing like that.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We only use 10% of our brain at a time because our brain runs on electrical impulses. If we used 100% we'd fry it. Now we don't want that do we?

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
okay not maybe 100% but where would you think we can limit it the most i mean more than 10% atleast maybe 30% i guess.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
We use more than 10% of our brains ... Maybe when we were younger ... we did not use more than 10% but as you grow you do use more than 10% of your brain ... I am not saying that you use the full 100% because this is impossible ... First of all Why do you think you get Headaches ??? Not Sinus Headaches ... or .. Because you are sick .. I am talking abou Migraines !! Anyways ... try meditation if you want to enlighten yourself ... It is something that you must do on your own ... And you must believe it reguardless of what others say ... Such as I can feel people when they are having a bad day .. or having a good day .. Not all the time ... but 25% .. of the time ... anyways .... 100% of the time with certain people that I know ... Do you think this is just a know the person ? Or ??? Anyways ... You USE MORE THAN 10% of your brain ... do alittle research ... Come on Kiddo !

atl

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
okay young boi u sound dumb 10% is !0% thats wht da brotha said so believe him dun try to fool us da king i got yo bak no matter wht even tho i dun knw u buh i got u.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
10 % ???

Probably the best source !!
BRAIN
Although folklore would have it that about 90% of the human brain is dormant, this has proven scientifically unfounded; researchers until the mid 1990s focused on only a small portion of the brain in efforts to understand its computational capacity.

Grey matter, the thin layer of cells covering the cerebrum, was believed by most scholars to be the primary center of cognitive and conscious processing. White matter, the mass of glial cells that support the cerebral grey matter, was assumed to primarily provide nourishment, physical support, and connective pathways for the more functional cells on the cerebral surface. But research fueled by the interest of Dr. Marian Diamond in the glial structure of Albert Einstein's brain led to a line of research that offered strong evidence that glial cells serve a computational role beyond merely transmitting processed signals between more functional parts of the brain. In 2004, Scientific American published an article suggesting scientists in the early 21st century are only beginning to study the "other half of the brain."

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yup, one of the biggest fallacies around.

For example, when walking to a particular place you will be using occipital cortex (vision, object and face recognition), auditory cortex (hearing), memory (hippocampus and dorsolateral prefrontal cortex), decision-making (orbitomedial PFC cortex), and 1ary and 2ary motor cortex, thalamus as the relay station for all the sensory signals, cerebellum for motor function, brainstem to keep all the autonomic functions active etc etc.

You may only be consciously aware of certain functions at a time, but all are present.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin
Yup, one of the biggest fallacies around.

For example, when walking to a particular place you will be using occipital cortex (vision, object and face recognition), auditory cortex (hearing), memory (hippocampus and dorsolateral prefrontal cortex), decision-making (orbitomedial PFC cortex), and 1ary and 2ary motor cortex, thalamus as the relay station for all the sensory signals, cerebellum for motor function, brainstem to keep all the autonomic functions active etc etc.

You may only be consciously aware of certain functions at a time, but all are present.

LoL ... I had to sit down and re-read this LMAO ... and still do not understand ... most of it ... But is anyone else getting the point ??? lol ... There maybe 10% of our brain that is NEVER USED .. I could possibly see that ....

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
LoL ... I had to sit down and re-read this LMAO ... and still do not understand ... most of it ... But is anyone else getting the point ??? lol ... There maybe 10% of our brain that is NEVER USED .. I could possibly see that ....

All just neuro stuff. It's basically what you said, even the most simple things require a lot of brain power. We are just unaware of what goes on in those neural circuits. A lot of the brain is even working at resting state, like a car ticking over (I don't mean when asleep, just ready to act when awake).

When you talk to someone, you're decoding audio and visual information, using both sides of the brain decoding meaning, emotion and representing the others physical and emotional state in your mirror neurons. That's just the higher level stuff, lower level stuff is brainstem control of heart rate etc (autonomic systems).

I think the fallacy comes from Freud and his 10% conscious/90% unconscious brain distinction - which is not far wrong. We are only aware of a fraction of our own cognitive and emotional processes, we are attentional limited.

A good example of this is the emotional circuits underlying fear - when you perceive a fearful stimuli (say a bear), your amygdala (a major emotional center and evolutionary ancient) will already have processed it in a rapid, unconscious, automatic and coarse process, it heightens awareness and prepares the body for fight or flight, this is a subcortical process - not neocortical. Then the cognitive neocortical conscious processes kick in and either dampen the amygdala acivity or you run, freeze, or fight depending on whether the threat is real or not (anxiety is a failure of neocortical dampening and hyperactivity of amygdala). A recent study showed how this process allows people blind via visual cortex damage to actually differentiate fear faces from other faces - but they do not actually perceive them consciously.

[edit on 13-11-2006 by melatonin]

top topics

join