It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian artifacts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
My husband has been doing some work in the backyard recently and unearthed some Indian artifacts. The area we live in used to be inhabited by the Creek Indians.

He found two very nice clear quartz arrowheads and along with them three round objects.

They look to be clay rolled into little balls about the size of a marble.

Does anyone have any idea what the Indians may have used these for?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
It is against the Federal Antiquities Act of 1903 to remove items such as these from the ground even if you are the owner of the land they are found on. Be careful who you tell this story to.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Are you sure that Act is'nt just for Federal Land?

It's hard to advoid digging up things if you're putting in a new water line. It's not like we deliberately knew where they were and dug for them. I'm sure that finding artifacts has happened countless times on public and private property during the course of construction work.

In fact I know it has.

Gee, I did'nt know I was going to be practically called a "lawbreaker" for posting this.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I'd suggest to let your local tribal counsol (sp) know,
they can let you know what they are and what can be done
with what you have found.

I myself would do it because I wouldn't want someone finding things
of my tribe and having it for their own. Yes even if the land was "bought"
but in my ancestors and my self the land was taken.

Its just respect, not a bad thing to say what you got its not that your trying to sell
the items. You just want to know. I would love to see picts if you had them.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
I'd suggest to let your local tribal counsol (sp) know,
they can let you know what they are and what can be done
with what you have found.

I myself would do it because I wouldn't want someone finding things
of my tribe and having it for their own. Yes even if the land was "bought"
but in my ancestors and my self the land was taken.

Its just respect, not a bad thing to say what you got its not that your trying to sell
the items. You just want to know. I would love to see picts if you had them.

Thanks EvilBat, thats sounds like a good idea.
I'll try to get some pictures later of the "little balls". I was just hopeing someone here might know what they were used for.

And no, I don't mind giving them to back to a local tribe if they want them. I'm not sure how to contact the Creeks, but I will look into it.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The balls my be part of a game or ammo for a sling
it would be interesting to know
I'm trying to rack my brain on what they could be
if my grandfather was still alive he would give a good
answer he knew our culture very well yet This is a different tribe

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Doing some looking into , what you may have is cherokee since they took over the lands there around 1775 if what you did find was Creek means your soil wasn't turned
in many years, unless familys of creek lived there through the Cherokee

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
sounds like net and fishing weights
they're pretty common
they usually sell for about $30 per 40 on e bay
images.google.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Hey:

I am Cherokee, descendents of the 'creek' native americans. We were once known as 'creek indians' but are Cherokee Native Americans.

I grew up on a rez in NC. If you could post pics... I could maybe tell you what you have and the time period from which it came. I have alot of stuff I saved from the rez too if you want to see it. Eagle's claws, talons, hatchets, rabbit furs and of course, arrow heads. lol Oh.., and yes, a peace pipe. My most priced possession!

Lets look at our items! It'll be fun!

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What wonderful finds!

I agree with the suggestion to see if there's a Native American museum in the area or another type of museum in a larger city. Someone will know what they are.

Here's the rules about artifacts (sorted by state). As far as I know (and can tell) it's okay to pick up arrowheads and loose artifacts on your land (but not Federal/State land.) The problem comes if the artifacts are associated with a grave.

www.arrowheads.com...

The main page of that site looks like a fun place to explore, so I'll add the link:
www.arrowheads.com...

Here's a page of contacts for the Creek Nation:
www.muscogeenation-nsn.gov...

You might be able to talk to some of them at a local powwow...that could be a lot of fun!

[edit on 15-11-2006 by Byrd]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Little One
Hey:

I am Cherokee, descendents of the 'creek' native americans. We were once known as 'creek indians' but are Cherokee Native Americans.

I grew up on a rez in NC. If you could post pics... I could maybe tell you what you have and the time period from which it came. I have alot of stuff I saved from the rez too if you want to see it. Eagle's claws, talons, hatchets, rabbit furs and of course, arrow heads. lol Oh.., and yes, a peace pipe. My most priced possession!

Lets look at our items! It'll be fun!

Hi,
Ok, I ought to have some photos on here sometime within the next couple of days. I'd love to see more Native American artifacts.

I've been to Cherokee, N.C. It's beautiful there.

And Byrd thanks for the links I certainly do NOT want to dig up a burial ground. LOL.
I'd be scared to even mess with anything like that cause I'm kinda "superstitious" anyway.

I go to N.C. once in awhile and I believe there is a museum there. I could take them with me next time when I visit the Cherokee reservation.

[edit on 15-11-2006 by elaine]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
You can view mine at:

s84.photobucket.com...

On some of the items, I have had to put new leather and feathers on to make it look nice enough to display. Exactly like the were, just refurbished lol.

The necklace, I make those from bone, leather and beads.

My favorite find, the eagles talon! The huge claw was a nice find too. Just chidhood stuff I clung too.

I have no idea what the teeth came from but they are HUGE. Molars.

The eye is there because although Im Cherokee, full-blooded off the rez... I ended up with freaky green/wolf gray eyes... depending on mood. To my tribe, that meant I was somehow special... with the purpose of working selfishly for the well-being of all man, thus reaping what I sow.

The sage in the dish with rocks is for 'smudging'. A practice we use to rid our homes of any and all negative energy. You must do this with sage and a feather.

The book is a book everyone MUST read before the word Mayan falls from their mouth. Otherwise, they missed Mayan 101 and need to go back a few steps. A must read.

The HUGE sharks tooth, I too found on the rez. I dont know how or why but it was there. It is SO BIG that it is larger than a mans hand. Makes a mans hand look small. HUGE! Amazing!

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
If you show them to a tribal office, museum, or archaeologist DO NOT!!!! tell them who you are or where you got them. Unscrupulous tribal members or other authorities may try to seize your land or force you into protracted legal proceedings.

Be very careful.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Little One
You can view mine at:

s84.photobucket.com...

The HUGE sharks tooth, I too found on the rez. I dont know how or why but it was there. It is SO BIG that it is larger than a mans hand. Makes a mans hand look small. HUGE! Amazing!

Thanks for posting your photos Little One. That shark's tooth really is huge! I wonder how big the shark was? Must've been a prehistoric one.
I've always had an interest in Native American crafts and stuff. It looks like your collection is very, very nice. Nice work with the necklaces too.

One arrowhead we found is kinda small, but I really like it because it's clear and almost looks like a sliver of ice when I hold it up to the light.

I'd like to clean the arrowheads up some more. What would be best for white and clear quartz? Bleach and a brush?

Or should I just leave them "as is"?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54
If you show them to a tribal office, museum, or archaeologist DO NOT!!!! tell them who you are or where you got them. Unscrupulous tribal members or other authorities may try to seize your land or force you into protracted legal proceedings.

Be very careful.

Bryd supplied some useful links about laws concerning archeological sites. I suggest you read them too before you post warnings.

Did you even read this whole thread? I doubt it.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I myself am what the others call Delaware
I was told by my grandfather that I am not allowed to learn
our language for its the white mans world and so I never
learned my language.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Quartz arrowheads? Wow! That's way cool! I've never heard of such a thing (not that I doubt you, I am just in awe). I've seen many obsidian ones but never quartz.

I have a friend who found 2 perfectly round shaped stone balls once - and her friend told her they were 'Indian marbles.' How reliable that is, I have no idea. Sounded good at the time, anyway.
They were really interesting though, because they were definitely old and man made of stone but perfectly round! And not rounded from use (not smoothed out or shiny).

Cool finds!

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   

?
What tribe is called delaware?
The state is named after a european, de la Ware.

A wiki'd this actually, and apparently the Unami Lenapem because they live in delaware, are sometimes refered to as such. Apparently they speak an Algonquian language, though it is now extinct , Interesting.

QA
Quartz arrowheads?

I was puzzled too. Perhaps they are flint though? Same composition.

[edit on 17-11-2006 by Nygdan]

[edit on 17-11-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I was told by my grandfather that I am not allowed to learn
our language for its the white mans world and so I never
learned my language.

My paternal grandmother was native american. I don't know much about her because she died way before I was born. I wish I could've met and talked with her. In fact I don't know all that much about my dad's side of the family.

So I'm a mixture. And I would like to know a little more something about one of my "heritages".

So I kinda know what you mean when you feel like you ought to know something but you don't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join