It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My thoughts on Poppies.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
First of all if this is in the wrong forum I apologize. Secondly, I didn't want to post this in the other poppy thread since it's not really along the same lines.

You could call this somewhat of a rant I guess but it's something I need to get off my chest.

Is it just me or is the number of people wearing poppies this year drastically small? I mean over the past few years I've noticed it steadily declining, but this year it seems to have hit an all time low. At least in the Toronto/GTA area from what I've seen. Personally I find it sickening that only about 10% of the people I've seen around this week are wearing one. At my workplace we have about 30 people on my shift, and I'm the only person with one.

It just upsets me to see so few people wearing this small yet significant sign of respect, and it upsets me even more to hear some of the excuses for why people don't wear them. I've heard everything from "I don't have any change to donate" to "I don't want to ruin my nice coat by putting a pin hole through it." It's borderline disgusting. Heck, I even came across one lady who asked me what the flower I was wearing meant, no joke!

Maybe I'm taking it too hard but I've always been big on showing my respect for the men and women who have fought and died for our country. And I believe they deserve more respect than we could ever possibly show them. But please folks, drop a few dollars into the box and put on a poppy for our veterans. That's the least that they deserve. Many of us might not be here today if it weren't for them.

My apologies for the rant, it's just a subject I feel very strongly about.

So what's your thoughts folks? Poppy or not, and why?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I still see them everywhere in my area, but I've noticed the ones that don't wear them are usually fairly young.

Originally posted by ToxxiKall
Heck, I even came across one lady who asked me what the flower I was wearing meant, no joke!

I think you've nailed the biggest problem; lack of education on Canadian history. Many of our newer citizens don't know about the tradition. For the 'no change' people, I've taken to dropping a twenty in the can and taking 10 poppies. Then they can either wear the poppy I provide them or insult my generosity. For the 'no holes in clothes' people, I suggest they use tape.

I'm militant about the poppy.

That poppy goes on my coat as of November 1st and it doesn't come off until the 12th.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I have one on my collar of my jacket for the first two weeks of November. But I support one on the sun visor of my car year around. I have never taken it down for about five years now. It's right next to my cancer ribbon that I hung on the day my step-father passed of cancer. I dropped a 20 in the bucket and the girl's jaw dropped. I was only 17 at the time, but I thought it would go to a better cause then what I would of just wasted it on.

There are certain things we need to pay respect too. The poppy is one of those symbols that we must educate people on and assure its future.

Someone not wearing a poppy does not insult me. We live hectic lives, some people just do not realize. Thats not right, but its justifiable. But if a person told me, "No I don't want a whole in my shirt". I would get vicious.

I am sure most of us have a family member who either lost their life, or risked their life, for our way of life. For us to say, "Its a new shirt" is completely disrespectful to the men and women who came before us.

We have a proud heritage. It is these citizens that we have to thank for it. They deserve our respect.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

lack of education on Canadian history. Many of our newer citizens don't know about the tradition.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by Duzey]

I think that's the root of the entire issue right there.

Now I don't have any children and I've been out of school for almost a decade now, so I'm not sure on how schools around here handle Remberance Day nowadays.

However, I've heard through friends that there are some schools out there that don't take it that seriously anymore. Is that what's going in? I'm not sure. I remember we used to have announcements and a big assembly to pay our respects to the Veterans. Is that sort of stuff still going on?

Or do they just not teach Canadian history in depth anymore?

Either way, I worry that someday the whole idea of wearing a poppy out of respect may die out. I hope to god that it never happens, but I can't help but be a little worried.

Duzey and Chissler, thank you both for your thoughts. And more importantly, thank you both very much for helping the cause of paying respect to the Veterans. I just hope there are many more people out there who share our views.

And to any Veterans who come across this thread. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the service you gave to our great country.

new topics

top topics

join