It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Contours On Mars??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Have a look at this pic taken by the Mars Global Surveyor (MGS).

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov..." border=0>
Malin Space Science Systems
MOC2-1591
Location near: 8.8°N, 1.2°W
Image width: ~3 km (~1.9 mi)
Illumination from: lower left
Season: Northern Winter

Now I never said that these beautiful contours are artificial to begin with! But it sure looks like step or contour farming!!

Of course, NASA says that

their regular thickness and repeated character suggest that episodic, or perhaps cyclic, processes brought sediment to the crater floor. If the crater contained water at the time the sediments were deposited, then they represent lakebed materials.

All very good. But can such regular ‘steps’ be formed in nature? And notice the rim around each step. Striations on rock are fine, but this?? This is how a rock would look like if the NASA explanation were to be believed:
education.usgs.gov..." border=0>

But those are almost perfect stepped contours. How could they have formed naturally?

Be that as it may, now click here to enlarge the image from the site. There are plenty of anomalies to keep one occupied whilst being driven to work! (Hell! These darn traffic snarls are getting worse by the day!!)

For starters, what’s that small light circular structure on the little hillock, which can be seen towards the top of the photograph? And…

Well all said and done, that’s a fantastic photograph!! Let’s see if we can get it in full-blooded color. And that would be mind blowing!!

...More

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Mike......your pic is not loading it has that marvelous 'broken' sign on it.....and the last pic link you have up entitled 'more' does not work either.

The close up is showing up good and it is very interesting.......

Well are'nt YOU the fast bunny!!! fixing it all before my post even loads.....

Thank you VERY much Mike for yet ANOTHER great shot of Mars......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I have seen step contours like these form naturally..........when a fishtank was forgotten that held turtles. As the water evaporated the sand deposits would level out in this manner. It was NOT quite as eleborate as what we are seeing on the Mars pics....but I can say what your showing here is screaming
WATER
was there once.....
................it had to have been.

[edit on 6-11-2006 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Looks Intresting Anyone Care to comment

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Ok, I will comment:

That’s a fabulous picture Mike Singh,

But, A few errors in your analysis

First you have assumed that they are stepped , based on differences in colour on a low res photo

The colour bands could simply be sedimentary or other layers, exposed by erosion

There is not evidence of terracing and “steps “one would look for – i.e. shadows etc

You have assumed terraced stepps because that is what you want to see

Second

You dismiss the NASA explanation from a position of ignorance, merely because you “don’t trust NASA”, your post demonstrates that your grasp of geology is weak to put it bluntly

Lastly, you “example “of ` this is a natural striation `, ergo the features on mars cannot be natural formations – is a laughable red herring,

Here is a striation pattern more relevant to what you are showing

striated rocks

And a quick image gallery of perfectly natural terrestrial formations of relevance:

Limestone pavement:

Talus / basalt terracing

Formations in Yellowstone:

Finally, monument valley:

Not the best picture available – but it shows the features.

See, natural formations can mimic “terracing “

In conclusion, it is possible that the features on mars you point out could be artificial, but your reasons for believing they are artificial are erroneous .

And you have clearly pre judged the evidence from ignorance , and ignored everything that may contradict your conclusion .

[edit on 7-11-2006 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Regardless what it is, its a beautifull picture!

What's all the black stuff?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   

What's all the black stuff?

Water

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Looks like a drained sea/lake to me. Each terrace representing the shore line around islands at different time periods.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Wow! Those were some real good pics ignorant ape! You seem to be an expert in geology! I wonder why then do you call yourself ‘ignorant’?!!

Ok. I get the point. I ain’t no geology expert! But do geological formations on Mars have the same parameters as those on Earth? They seem to because you are equating them. Temperature, gravity, wind, climate, weather, humidity, atmospheric and soil content, and so on. If they are similar, then Mars gotta have life, right? If so, we’re in business!!

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well, I would like to quote keith Laney on this one:

By all appearances, someone has been practicing opencast mining on Mars.

Don't take my word for it, take a stroll around earthen mining sites with Google Earth, and then go to MSSS, or the Themis and Mars Express websites, Explore Mars, see for yourself

This look at possible mining is far from over, I continue to search for corroboration;
In fact, we've hardly scratched the surface..

And check out the resemblance of this photograph to the first one on this thread. Notice also the cutting on the hill toward its right.
Needless to say, this is at the moment all conjecture. I wonder if we'll ever get concrete proof of what actually is going on!

Mars Express
Courtesy: Keith Laney.

keithlaney.net...

[edit on 7-11-2006 by mikesingh]

new topics

top topics

join