It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus To Cut Subcontractors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The heads at Airbus are getting to work on restructuring the beleguered aerospace giant. First in the firing line are Airbus's long list of subcontractors. Currently has contracts with around 3000 companies. That number is to be drastically reduced by 80% to 500. The move is aimed at reducing company costs and should ave around 1.2 billion euros by 2010.

news.yahoo.com
PARIS (AFP) - European aircraft maker Airbus plans to reduce by 80 percent the number of subcontractors used by the company as part of a vast restructuring plan aimed at reducing costs, a company spokesman said.

The number of subcontractors is to be cut from nearly 3,000 to about 500, the spokesman said, confirming a report in the Financial Times Deutschland published on Monday.

The group, based in Toulouse, southern France, also plans to cut its administrative costs by 900 million euros (1.14 billion dollars) in total by 2010 and its supply costs by 350 million euros over the same period, the spokesman said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well if the cuts measure up then this action would go along way to shore up the long term future of the company. I wonder how this will airbus will reassign the work that would've other wise gone to the subcontractors that were cut.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This will hurt France's unemployment rate, already in the double digits. But I'm curious - what, other than paperworks savings, will this measure save? If there was enough work for 3,000 subcontractors, paring it back to 500 won't save money. All it will do is decrease competition and increase nepotism, imo.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This won't help any. FedEx has dropped its order for 10 Airbus A380s. And has opted for 15 Boeing 777s with an option for 15 more. This has been the first cancellation the Airbus has received for the A380.

A380 orders cancelled

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Will this have a knock on effect for the Airbus workers in the UK?
They make the wings near where i live,and transport them to France in the mighty "Beluga" aircraft.
They are a big employer locally,and job loses would be bad.
Some pics of the Beluga:

www.airventure.de...

And the loading bay with the plane wings being slotted in for transport:

www.aerospace-technology.com...

A great plane,it just seems to hang in the air like a bumble bee,and the mountains vibrate as it goes over.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Cool looking plane. I assume those things sell well and have a good market. I wonder what will happen if China gets into airplane manufacturing like everything else they are into today?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Denythe SQ,
dunno mate,all i do know is that i want one of those Belugas,preferably converted to high octane bio diesel or hydrogen,as my next "van."Parking could be tricky though.

They really are awesome to watch in flight.

new topics

top topics

join